Sponsored

Missing paint - big deal or drama queen

Would this be an issue you would let go of?

• Total voters

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Here’s the deal - there is clearly missing paint and painters tape left from the factory. It’s in a relatively inconspicuous spot and you only obviously see it if you drop the windshield. I took it in to get it fixed along with other warranty work and the dealership sent me out of the door on the paint issue saying ‘you can’t see it, repair denied.’ I asked for a reason as it’s a clear factory mistake and they refused to answer. After 36 (mostly unrelated) days without my vehicle I was in a hurry and couldn’t stay to continue to escalate.

Jeep customer care agent that @JeepCares set me up with could not and would not give me a reason in writing why this was allegedly denied for warranty repair. I asked who to elevate to and was told all she could advise was call the dealer’s service or collision center manager (the ones who denied me) They did tell me no pics were submitted that she could see which supports my suspicion that no warranty request was even made.

At this point I’m pissed I let my lemon law time frame expire on the other issues because all I wanted to believe is Jeep would make an obvious defect correct. Now this is 2 dealerships that have turned me away. The first I KNOW didn’t submit a warranty request, the second I suspect didn’t.

Who can I turn to?
Can others confirm this spot painted for my case? Post some pics?
Am I being a baby?

I thought this was genuinely a low priority thing cause it never crossed my mind I’d be denied on something I felt so obviously not right. Now it’s making me feel like the fool that spent 68k on a Jeep and expecting any level of quality control!
(notice factory painters tape still there in second pic?!)
Jeep Wrangler JL Missing paint - big deal or drama queen F70EC0DD-6D16-4011-B0E7-0F5881072479
Jeep Wrangler JL Missing paint - big deal or drama queen 998B9C66-7725-4F59-9AE5-57CE90FE3768
Sponsored

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
How much would it cost to have it re-painted by a local body shop? I wouldn’t imagine it would be a lot being a small spot with no damage. Id be upset too, but I would rather just get it fixed myself than deal with the stress of Jeep (doesn’t) cares or a dealership.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Trying to picture tgat from inside the house. What was removed to see that. The windshield doesn’t require anything but wiper arms and four bolts removed.

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
How much would it cost to have it re-painted by a local body shop? I wouldn’t imagine it would be a lot being a small spot with no damage. Id be upset too, but I would rather just get it fixed myself than deal with the stress of Jeep (doesn’t) cares or a dealership.
$730, but I don’t feel like that should be on me!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Trying to picture tgat from inside the house. What was removed to see that. The windshield doesn’t require anything but wiper arms and four bolts removed.
Where the latch for the freedom panels are and just above them. I removed it when installing the mopar sunshade

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
$730, but I don’t feel like that should be on me!
that is nuts. I got my old DV8 hood painted for $800 on my JKU. Is that dealer pricing or local shop?

it should def be on Jeep - maybe blast them on social.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Did you purchase new? Originally a hard top? No idea why there would be tape on the body shell. I imagine a robot paints the entire shell well in advance of any assembly. To me, tape in that spot would be a “firecracker“ red flag.

I have a soft top, so the entire primered area you’re showing is covered by a bracket for the top latch. I’ll never know if mine isn’t fully covered with paint. Either way, I‘d rather fix it myself and pick up a can of touch up paint and some clear and spray it myself. People are getting half doors resprayed for less than what you’re being quoted for your primer spot.

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Did you purchase new? Originally a hard top? No idea why there would be tape on the body shell. I imagine a robot paints the entire shell well in advance of any assembly. To me, tape in that spot would be a “firecracker“ red flag.

I have a soft top, so the entire primered area you’re showing is covered by a bracket for the top latch. I’ll never know if mine isn’t fully covered with paint. Either way, I‘d rather fix it myself and pick up a can of touch up paint and some clear and spray it myself. People are getting half doors resprayed for less than what you’re being quoted for your primer spot.
Yes brand new, always a hard top.

honestly I looked up the Jeep factory videos and they confirm this would have painted before the trim covering that spot was installed. My same thought on I can’t even figure out why tape would be there. Maybe factory damaged and retouched?

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Yes brand new, always a hard top.

honestly I looked up the Jeep factory videos and they confirm this would have painted before the trim covering that spot was installed. My same thought on I can’t even figure out why tape would be there. Maybe factory damaged and retouched?
Sounds more like it may have been damaged in transport, and your dealer doesn’t want to admit they made some poor repairs. Knew a guy in high school who custom ordered a new cougar and never knew the local dealer had to respray his hood after a dropped car hauler chain made a huge dent. He’s a millionaire now and I just comment on Jeep forums, so I guess the joke’s on me, LOL!

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Can you see it when the pieces you removed are installed back in place?

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset by an unpainted spot underneath trim or other parts that cover it.

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Can you see it when the pieces you removed are installed back in place?

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset by an unpainted spot underneath trim or other parts that cover it.
its not obvious, except where the tape is, there is clear overspray and a line there that wasn’t sanded. So when the windshield is down, yes you see that clearly. When the trim piece is back on, the primer is only minorly and subtlely visible. I’d say only people with a knack for small details would even see it.

trust me, I go back and forth on if I’m being unreasonable. That said, it never crossed my mind Jeep wouldn’t step up and admit this was a mistake, not tell me it should be that way… I love the Jeep but I’m also a stand by your work and do people right kind of guy. I’m conflicted because I never support companies or people that aren’t, and that is how this is rubbing me.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Here’s the deal - there is clearly missing paint and painters tape left from the factory. It’s in a relatively inconspicuous spot and you only obviously see it if you drop the windshield. I took it in to get it fixed along with other warranty work and the dealership sent me out of the door on the paint issue saying ‘you can’t see it, repair denied.’ I asked for a reason as it’s a clear factory mistake and they refused to answer. After 36 (mostly unrelated) days without my vehicle I was in a hurry and couldn’t stay to continue to escalate.

Jeep customer care agent that @JeepCares set me up with could not and would not give me a reason in writing why this was allegedly denied for warranty repair. I asked who to elevate to and was told all she could advise was call the dealer’s service or collision center manager (the ones who denied me) They did tell me no pics were submitted that she could see which supports my suspicion that no warranty request was even made.

At this point I’m pissed I let my lemon law time frame expire on the other issues because all I wanted to believe is Jeep would make an obvious defect correct. Now this is 2 dealerships that have turned me away. The first I KNOW didn’t submit a warranty request, the second I suspect didn’t.

Who can I turn to?
Can others confirm this spot painted for my case? Post some pics?
Am I being a baby?

I thought this was genuinely a low priority thing cause it never crossed my mind I’d be denied on something I felt so obviously not right. Now it’s making me feel like the fool that spent 68k on a Jeep and expecting any level of quality control!
(notice factory painters tape still there in second pic?!)
Jeep Wrangler JL Missing paint - big deal or drama queen 998B9C66-7725-4F59-9AE5-57CE90FE3768
My Jeep is firecracker red as well and has tape and messed up paint in the exact same spot. So weird.