Sponsored

First look at production 2.0L 4-Cylinder Turbo Hurricane engine

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Which is probably going to be the worst option going forward. Both the diesel and the turbo will be better off road and offer much better mileage.
Why would a turbo be better off-road?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
see the link I posted. If they tuned it properly, it'll have better low end torque. Combined with the better transmission, the turbo 4 should be better than the V6.
The link is all about road car performance.

Both the torque curve and the amount of lag is still unknown, and that will greatly affect whether it is a capable off-roader.
The EcoDiesel is known quantity, and will be good for off-roading, the tinyturbo4 is still mostly people hoping that it’s more of performance version than a commuter engine.

Heat and Reliability will be issue that dog the tinyturbo4 off-road.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD

Both the torque curve and the amount of lag is still unknown, and that will greatly affect whether it is a capable off-roader.
The EcoDiesel is known quantity, and will be good for off-roading, the tinyturbo4 is still mostly people hoping that it’s more of performance version than a commuter engine.

500 cc per cylinder is the most efficient size for engine cooling currently. Cooling won't be an issue. Yes, the tuning of the turbo is a question, which is why I said it was likely to be better than the V6, depending on the tuning.

The diesel will be the best motor by far, both for on road and off road applications. The only reason not to buy it is if it is out of your price range.

Sponsored

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
500 cc per cylinder is the most efficient size for engine cooling currently. Cooling won't be an issue. Yes, the tuning of the turbo is a question, which is why I said it was likely to be better than the V6, depending on the tuning.

The diesel will be the best motor by far, both for on road and off road applications. The only reason not to buy it is if it is out of your price range.
And with both being a turbo, they won't suffer power loss at altitude. If you are going to say Moab, or Colorado.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500 cc per cylinder is the most efficient size for engine cooling currently. Cooling won't be an issue.
This is a cramped engine bay in a slow moving off-road vehicle, cooling will be an issue for all of them, but turbos are particularly impacted by heat.

Or extreme COLD where the diesels don’t fair so well, especially if they need to be left unplugged for any significant period of time.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
This is a cramped engine bay in a slow moving off-road vehicle, cooling will be an issue for all of them, but turbos are particularly imoacted by heat.

If they put a proper fan clutch on the vehicle, cooling won't be an issue at any speed.

Or extreme COLD where the diesels don’t fair so well, especially if they need to be left unplugged for any significant period of time.
Do you own any diesels or live in extreme cold weather? I do. I have a liberty diesel, an F-350 diesel, and an Internation 4300 with a cummins. The newer diesels only require plugging in at about -20. Even where I live, at about 9,000 feet and needing four wheel drive every day of the year, plugging in the new diesel would only be required a small percentage of the time, and only when parked outside overnight.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian

Do you know torque rating for 2.0 turbo?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you own any diesels or live in extreme cold weather? I do.
No, you live in Cold, not Extreme cold.
I don’t own them for that reason, but work with people who do who often need a lift on extemely cold days, and especially on race days when the temps have hit -40 and below and you see all the diesel pickups littering the parking lot with their frozen/damaged fuel filters.

The newer diesels only require plugging in at about -20.
And that’s not even extreme cold.

Even where I live, at about 9,000 feet and needing four wheel drive every day of the year, plugging in the new diesel would only be required a small percentage of the time, and only when parked outside overnight.
Good thing there’s all those available block heater plugs in the off-road for just such an occasion, making backountry skiing and snowshoeing that much easier.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know torque rating for 2.0 turbo?
Do you?

Nothing published yet for the Hurricane, so as I said, it remains an unkniown, and therefore its capability and suitability remains an unknown. We do have an idea of the type of turbo from the 2.0 engine photos, so the elevated expectations are as likely as the 368HP figure people were trumpeting.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
Do you?

Nothing published yet for the Hurricane, so as I said, it remains an unkniown, and therefore its capability and suitability remains an unknown. We do have an idea of the type of turbo from the 2.0 engine photos, so the elevated expectations are as likely as the 368HP figure people were trumpeting.
268 HP. So after all it seems 368 was a typo.

Torque. AFAIK 400 Nm.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Deleted my own posts. Eating our own is in poor taste. I'll leave it at that.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not pro/anti any particular choice, but the whole picture needs to be stated, not just the condensed “this is all good” “that is all bad”, or that any one solution will be good for every aspect. There will be some areas where each will excel and where all will have failings.

I’m not against any of the option, and only pro the one option that will likely never be offered, the HEMI, but the info needs to be balanced.

While, I’m not interested in the turbo for my use although the forced air is great for altitude, but I will make the effort to share info like possible turbo candidate on page 1 to help others who can benefit from that info, so that people who haven’t thought of this stuff before can see the bigger picture.

And yes, if incorrect I’ll admit it. Case in point the info from AllPar and others regarding the base engine and the Hurricaine.
Sponsored

Last edited: