Sponsored

Is my 2018 8.4 Uconnect Up to Date?

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been having some issues with my 2018 Uconnect and phone and figured it was time to check for updates. I did an update probably 18 months ago.

I have Software version 21.11.11

When I check my VIN on www.driveuconnect.com it says an update is available and prompts me to download UCONNECT_8.4_IR21.10_MY18JL_VP4R_USA.zip

Following the instructions in the PDF it suggests I am up to date

"Is the radio software level (Application Version) at or higher than 21.10?
• YES>>> The radio software is already up to date. Normal diagnostic should be performed."

So I am confused if I am up to date or not.

My phone would not charge out on the trail today. It would start but moments later the charge icon was gone and the phone was draining quick. I also have the Motorola MA1 wireless dongle and just unplugged it because it was all giving me troubles. I couldn't get my phone to just enter wired Android Auto anymore and have not tried reconnecting the MA1. The The Jeep has been restarted many times as has the phone. No more Android Auto and no actual charging of my phone.

Not sure what is going on.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure on versions, but try pulling fuse 97 under the hood. Leave it out for a few minutes then put it back on. Start your jeep. The radio will act flaky for a while but will get back to normal after some time. Your USB connections should act right too.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have a 2021 and a 8.4" I upgraded that came from a 2021 as far as I know. The latest firmware I could get for it was 39.6. I upgraded from a USB stick as my head unit isn't registered to my car and I didn't install the AT&T antenna anyway as I don't care about that.

If the same update is available for the 2018's then I'd say you are way behind.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2021 and a 8.4" I upgraded that came from a 2021 as far as I know. The latest firmware I could get for it was 39.6. I upgraded from a USB stick as my head unit isn't registered to my car and I didn't install the AT&T antenna anyway as I don't care about that.

If the same update is available for the 2018's then I'd say you are way behind.
I am not sure I should compare a 2018 to a 2021.

I believe there a differences. The early 2018s could never get OTA updates from what I understand and I believe the radios changed after the Gladiator came out to provide the option for a factory front camera.

I'd hate to flash something not meant for my unit.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
@Bryce nailed it.
Pull the fuse and let it reset. See how it’s acting after that and proceed from there.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I am not sure I should compare a 2018 to a 2021.

I believe there a differences. The early 2018s could never get OTA updates from what I understand and I believe the radios changed after the Gladiator came out to provide the option for a factory front camera.

I'd hate to flash something not meant for my unit.
The TSB says it's for 2018-2021 Wranglers. I'm attaching the PDF if you want to look at it.

Attachments

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Just to be safe, I wouldn't immediately jump from 21.10 to 39.6. I'd install each subsequent update in between one at a time. It's a pain in the ass, but the earlier versions don't correct or revert to previous versions from a bad install properly and typically brick the radio.
Sponsored