Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

JEEPGIRL117

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So after running around with the approval warranty process since May I finally got approved for the work in July. Took my car in to the Jeep trusted body shop they sent me to and they said they had never seen anything so extensive. Took a little over 2 weeks but everything came out great, color match was dead near perfect. Before I gave them my car though I called Jeep Cares to see about a rental vehicle as this is my only car. The lady I spoke with told me I would indeed be reimbursed. So thats when I went ahead and rented my car for the next 16ish days. Now I am fighting the jeep cares / jeep reimbursement people as they said because I have "no open mechanical warranties" and I was "not the first owner" that I don't qualify. However when I asked the lady in the beginning if I would be reimbursed she knew I was not the original owner as she helped me change the records in the system to my information and never once stated that that was going to be the case. Also I am not sure what mechanical warranties have to do with my corrosion warranty which is what this was done under. Anybody have any problems with this? I am going on almost 2 weeks of trying to get in contact with the reimbursement people at Jeep and they won't return my calls even though I have not given them any reason not to return my calls.
Sponsored

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Sorry to hear that. My Jeep went in for the corrosion issue last Monday, 8-29-2022. It is now the weekend, and I was called, and they said they would have it today, but I am doubtful. When I contacted Jeep Cares, they told me to contact a Jeep dealer with a body shop. Fortunately, my dealer has a body shop. They looked it over, took pictures and measurements, and a month later, it is now in getting the problem taken care of.

One of the things I worry about though is how well they will remount the hinges on the doors and the doors to the vehicle. The gaps on my Jeep were close to perfect and I hope I will get it back with the same alignment; as well as the paint matching being spot on. We will see.

They did provide me with a rental car and at no charge. I will update as soon as I get the vehicle back.

krupa33

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sahara
FINALLY got my shit approved.

Doors, tailgate and hood will all be replaced. $7000. All paid by FCA corrosion warranty.

The kicker is, the door latches are on a 3-4 month backorder because so many fucking people are having this issue. No wonder its a class-action lawsuit. The corrosion warranty has also been extended from 5yr-36000 to 5yr-unlimited miles. You will need to take your jeep in before Dec. 1st 2023 to have any corrosion repairs done. After that, youre fucked. Hope that your body shop does the hinges and preps them right the first time or youll have this issue for the rest of the ownership of the vehicle.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a decent chunk of change when the settlement has been resolved with FCA in a few years. I wont hold my breathe though, what an absolute garbage company. 10/10 will never buy a Chrysler product again in my life lol.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door

Doors, tailgate and hood will all be replaced. $7000. All paid by FCA corrosion warranty.

The kicker is, the door latches are on a 3-4 month backorder because so many fucking people are having this issue. No wonder its a class-action lawsuit. The corrosion warranty has also been extended from 5yr-36000 to 5yr-unlimited miles. You will need to take your jeep in before Dec. 1st 2023 to have any corrosion repairs done. After that, youre fucked. Hope that your body shop does the hinges and preps them right the first time or youll have this issue for the rest of the ownership of the vehicle.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a decent chunk of change when the settlement has been resolved with FCA in a few years. I wont hold my breathe though, what an absolute garbage company. 10/10 will never buy a Chrysler product again in my life lol.
The lawyers will get a big chunk of change. You'll get another couple of years of warranty and a $1000 coupon towards the purchase of a new Jeep.

lsufan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I'm glad to hear it's covered for 5 years. Making an appointment tomorrow for my 2019 that I've had just over 3 years. I have issues on the hood and both driver side doors.

Sponsored

mrjakecyrus

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
I just purchased a 19’ Sahara this past weekend and noticed the bubbles when I got home. Would I still be able to bring it into my local Jeep dealership to get the repairs covered?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
That depends on whether it is still covered by warranty and/or whether Stellantis would cover it as “good will” if it’s not.

In short, all you can do is ask.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance

Sorry I am behind on this.
What is special about the 12/1/23 date?

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
What is sad is that a holding company now owns Chrysler. I have owned many Chrysler and Dodge products and have never had the issues such as the corrosion issue with the Jeep at 2 years old. I currently still own 2004 SRT4, 2009 Jeep Liberty, and my sons 1998 R/T Neon 4 Door. Both the SRT and the R/T have over 130k plus, and are still in excellent, close to new shape and still run on the tracks. The Liberty has over 198,000 on it and looks close to new. Matter of fact just had the differential and transfer case oils changed and was told they look great.

Most vehicles if taken care of will last for many more years than is evident, but they must be taken care of also. By the way, every one of the cars mentioned have original paint, even the JEEP Liberty.

Hopefully, the paint process problems Jeep has been having is rectified or will be soon. Jeep is an iconic brand and a very good vehicle. Better in my opinion than a FJ Toyota that some say the old engine is so good, but Chrysler has had many bullet proof engines also. My SRT4 has well over 250 runs down the drag strip, and over 30 plus SCCA events. Outside of small chips on the front grill, you would not think it was ever raced at all.

Problem is that when companies are taken over, it is a struggle to keep them as they were, and quality suffers in the short term. What is total BS is that many of the auto manufacturer's such as Chrysler were victim of politics. I remember reading in Wards Automotive magazine, Chrysler did not have to worry about bankruptcy like GM and Ford as they had over 30 billion plus in cash assets yet look what happened. It was one more way to take America down a notch and push the U.S. to a more globally even footing. Total BS.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is sad is that a holding company now owns Chrysler. I have owned many Chrysler and Dodge products and have never had the issues such as the corrosion issue with the Jeep at 2 years old. I currently still own 2004 SRT4, 2009 Jeep Liberty, and my sons 1998 R/T Neon 4 Door. Both the SRT and the R/T have over 130k plus, and are still in excellent, close to new shape and still run on the tracks. The Liberty has over 198,000 on it and looks close to new. Matter of fact just had the differential and transfer case oils changed and was told they look great.

Most vehicles if taken care of will last for many more years than is evident, but they must be taken care of also. By the way, every one of the cars mentioned have original paint, even the JEEP Liberty.

Hopefully, the paint process problems Jeep has been having is rectified or will be soon. Jeep is an iconic brand and a very good vehicle. Better in my opinion than a FJ Toyota that some say the old engine is so good, but Chrysler has had many bullet proof engines also. My SRT4 has well over 250 runs down the drag strip, and over 30 plus SCCA events. Outside of small chips on the front grill, you would not think it was ever raced at all.

Problem is that when companies are taken over, it is a struggle to keep them as they were, and quality suffers in the short term. What is total BS is that many of the auto manufacturer's such as Chrysler were victim of politics. I remember reading in Wards Automotive magazine, Chrysler did not have to worry about bankruptcy like GM and Ford as they had over 30 billion plus in cash assets yet look what happened. It was one more way to take America down a notch and push the U.S. to a more globally even footing. Total BS.
The corrosion problem started before Stellantis. None of the vehicles you mentioned would have this issue because, as far as I know, none of them have aluminum body panels.

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I am behind on this.
What is special about the 12/1/23 date?
I think OP was using that date as the 5 year cutoff for 2018 owners but, in reality, the warranty starts the day the new vehicle is sold.

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Understand that. I was just replying to one of the earlier replies that stated they would not consider a former Chrysler/Stellantis product anymore.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
So after running around with the approval warranty process since May I finally got approved for the work in July. Took my car in to the Jeep trusted body shop they sent me to and they said they had never seen anything so extensive. Took a little over 2 weeks but everything came out great, color match was dead near perfect. Before I gave them my car though I called Jeep Cares to see about a rental vehicle as this is my only car. The lady I spoke with told me I would indeed be reimbursed. So thats when I went ahead and rented my car for the next 16ish days. Now I am fighting the jeep cares / jeep reimbursement people as they said because I have "no open mechanical warranties" and I was "not the first owner" that I don't qualify. However when I asked the lady in the beginning if I would be reimbursed she knew I was not the original owner as she helped me change the records in the system to my information and never once stated that that was going to be the case. Also I am not sure what mechanical warranties have to do with my corrosion warranty which is what this was done under. Anybody have any problems with this? I am going on almost 2 weeks of trying to get in contact with the reimbursement people at Jeep and they won't return my calls even though I have not given them any reason not to return my calls.
I'm the second owner of my Jeep and the dealership I took it to for the warranty repair is giving me a loaner car. Do you have it in writing, email or otherwise, where they told you it would be covered?

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
What is sad is that a holding company now owns Chrysler.

Stellantis isn't a holding company, it's a merger between FCA and the parent company of Peugeot/Citroen. Chrysler was owned by a holding company (Cerberus Capital Management) from 2007-2009, however.

The corporate overlords set the brand strategy but with regard to the design and manufacturing, there isn't as much turnover as you might think, even under 5 owners in 2 decades. Jeep is their biggest cash cow - brand strategy is "keep doing what you've been doing for the past 15 years, it's working".

Now, if you want an example of a company that's running themselves into the ground with mismanagement and QC issues, look no further than Ford...

GFrank3245

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
I’ve got this on several door hinges and a area on the front window frame. My spot are much larger. I’m almost ready to take mine in under a warranty claim myself. I believe the paint is covered for five years
Sponsored