Blown transmission at 500 miles

CasperCook

First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So I purchased this 2022 JL Sport S from a dealership in Phoenix Arizona and it was leaking fluid from the get go, i checked all the fluids under the hood and everything was full, there was no dip stick to check the transmission oil and I know Jeep advertises their “sealed for life” transmission… so I drove this thing from Arizona to San Diego where I live, and I took it to the shop when it started making a whining noise when I accelerate, they discovered the leak, replaced the seal that was leaking, road tested it and informed me that it’s not shifting right and needs a new transmission… it’s been over a week now, I did not get a loaner car, nor a rental car, nor any updates on when my brand new Jeep is going to be ready to drive again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Can I trade it for another new one or am I stuck with this? Is there any way for me to get a replacement car?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

That’s sucks. These transmissions are tough and durable.

You will need to involve @JeepCares . They will help you deal with your dealer, and open up a case with FCA.

Good luck.

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I’d look into lemon laws for both states.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Should have never taken delivery with a known leak........let alone driving it the distance you did.....

Sponsored

_oIIIIIIIo_

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
I can beat that! Blown transmission on my Porsche 911 at 270 miles! 🙃

Porsche fixed mine, but it took 4 months to get it done, and they gave me a loaner for the duration.

Make sure to get Jeep Cares involved and hopefully they’ll get you a loaner. As others have mentioned, this is why vehicle’s have a warranty. You won’t qualify for lemon status until you’ve had the vehicle in for multiple issues without resolution.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Pretty sure this not a usual occurrence. These 8 speed's are very good and reliable. They'll make it right, but that doesn't change the "sucks" factor.

G.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
They sell about 200,000 wranglers a year. Im not surprised that a part or two out of hindreds that make up a transmission went bad or was bad or was assembled incorrectly.
You got a bad part in a transmission that was installed in your jeep.

It can be fixed.

Deleted member 74991

So I purchased this 2022 JL Sport S from a dealership in Phoenix Arizona and it was leaking fluid from the get go, i checked all the fluids under the hood and everything was full, there was no dip stick to check the transmission oil and I know Jeep advertises their “sealed for life” transmission… so I drove this thing from Arizona to San Diego where I live, and I took it to the shop when it started making a whining noise when I accelerate, they discovered the leak, replaced the seal that was leaking, road tested it and informed me that it’s not shifting right and needs a new transmission… it’s been over a week now, I did not get a loaner car, nor a rental car, nor any updates on when my brand new Jeep is going to be ready to drive again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Can I trade it for another new one or am I stuck with this? Is there any way for me to get a replacement car?
Sounds like the Jeep didn’t let you down, but the $h!tty dealership you dealt with. My guess is one of the employees or previous owners had a good time with it and you being in SD was the perfect way to unload it without having to deal with someone local. Hopefully it works out.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Why in the world would you accept a vehicle with an active, known leak and then proceed to drive it a long ass distance.
I hate to sound harsh, but from all accounts you earned it.

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
Why in the world would you accept a vehicle with an active, known leak and then proceed to drive it a long ass distance.
I hate to sound harsh, but from all accounts you earned it.
That is a unwarranted and unhelpful comment. People make mistakes. I for one have done ill advised things and paid more dearly than a blown transmission.

@CasperCook Nope, but my jeep’s engine and brake system is currently being replaced at 2,486miles. Yes you can trade it but it will not be pleasant experience. Please, call Jeep customer service(Jeep cares) and create a case. This will help you for repair speed and loaner. You will probably get a extended warranty out of it. Also, please be nice to your case worker. My experience is the nicer you are the better the end result will be no matter how this event goes. Best of luck..

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
That is a unwarranted and unhelpful comment. People make mistakes. I for one have done ill advised things and paid more dearly than a blown transmission.

@CasperCook Nope, but my jeep’s engine and brake system is currently being replaced at 2,486miles. Yes you can trade it but it will not be pleasant experience. Please, call Jeep customer service(Jeep cares) and create a case. This will help you for repair speed and loaner. You will probably get a extended warranty out of it. Also, please be nice to your case worker. My experience is the nicer you are the better the end result will be no matter how this event goes. Best of luck..
It's was an honest comment and I stand by it.
Sorry if it was too harsh for your thin skin.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine