Build Thread
Link

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Good find. While not cheap, the base sport is closest in spirit to the original Wrangler. It is much better equipped than my '94 YJ SE, which was almost top-of-the-line at the time.

At the end of the article was this link which was a nice bonus:

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbo...y-of-the-jeep-wrangler-from-1986-to-present#1
Aye. I give Jeep props for retaining a bare bones model with manual windows, locks, just generally the everyman model. Makes a great platform to strip down as well.

They might have catered to the rich this time around, but a blue collar worker can still afford a basic Wrangler. There's something to be said for that.

I can afford a loaded model no sweat, but I'm still going for a 2 door sport manual. Less distractions, more pure open air touring and offroading.

OldBackpacker

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL - Sport
Occupation
Retired
Aye. I give Jeep props for retaining a bare bones model with manual windows, locks, just generally the everyman model. Makes a great platform to strip down as well.

They might have catered to the rich this time around, but a blue collar worker can still afford a basic Wrangler. There's something to be said for that.

I can afford a loaded model no sweat, but I'm still going for a 2 door sport manual. Less distractions, more pure open air touring and offroading.
"I'm your huckleberry". 2-Door Sport is the way to go, go , go, etc.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
"I'm your huckleberry". 2-Door Sport is the way to go, go , go, etc.
same - got a sport s so that i can customize random stuff like bumpers and wheels, and it’s still capable, right?

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
same - got a sport s so that i can customize random stuff like bumpers and wheels, and it’s still capable, right?
A base Sport is more offroad capable than most Rubicon buyers would ever use their rigs for. The Rubicon might be more capable, but lesser models are still extremely capable.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
A base Sport is more offroad capable than most Rubicon buyers would ever use their rigs for. The Rubicon might be more capable, but lesser models are still extremely capable.
right - and the sport tires are the ones that used to come on the rubicon, and the axles too i think. i’ll be in rocks and gravel near a beach and woods, unlikely to go bouldering

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I ordered a Rubicon Unlimited, but this statement is very true. The 07 2 door JK I have was very capable after adding 33” MTs.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
they could offer a "stripper" model for serious offroaders as theres still more JUNK on the basic model than needed or wanted IMO!!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've had many eye opening experiences that made me respect the Jeeps. Far more capable than you know, but lets not fool ourselves. You buy a sport and you will eventually spend more than a Rubicon upgrading bits here and there. That is, if you wheel with the nutters.

If you just want to explore and have fun, then do it. Any Wrangler will bring years of smiles. I recommend topless. (Just bring a wet bag with rain gear and extra socks.)

Reactions: Joe

Sponsored

carguy1959

First Name
Robert Spinello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
Occupation
auto sales

Me too. I'll be getting a 2-dr. Sport S (a/c, p/w, p/l) V6 manual shift, ltd slip, trailer towing, deluxe soft top. alpine sound system, XM, and the opt. Rubicon steel bumpers avail. from from the Mopar performance catalog.

Last edited:

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
You buy a sport and you will eventually spend more than a Rubicon upgrading bits here and there.
Huh? This comment makes no sense whatsoever. Most who buy a Jeep, be it sport, sahara or rubicon, spend $$$$ upgrading. Almost the exact oposite of what you've said is true. With Rubicon buyers selling their takoff items it;s dirt cheap to upgrade a sport.

I had no interest at all in the bells and whistles the Rubicon had to offer so I went sport. There are a few things I wanted from the Rubicon though. Wheels (I like them) rock rails and the front fender flares.

I bought take off wheels for $600 and bought takeoff rock rails for $140. $740 total, At some point when Rubicon owners start upgrading their fender flares I'll snag those.

If someone want to upgrade their sport suspension you can easily snag a rubicon take off for $300 after the rubicon owner shells out $1200 for the mopar lift...

My point? Everyone (most) upgrade their Jeep regardless of which model they buy..

Last edited:

carguy1959

First Name
Robert Spinello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
Occupation
auto sales
Huh? This comment makes no sense whatsoever. Most who buy a Jeep, be it sport, sahara or rubicon, spend $$$$ upgrading. Almost the exact oposite of what you've said is true. With Rubicon buyers selling their takoff items it;s dirt cheap to upgrade a sport.

I had no interest at all in the bells and whistles the Rubicon had to offer so I went sport. There are a few things I wanted from the Rubicon though. Wheels (I like them) rock rails and the front fender flares.

I bought take off wheels for $600 and bought takeoff rock rails for $140. $740 total, At some point when Rubicon owners start upgrading their fender flares I'll snag those.

If someone want to upgrade their sport suspension you can easily snag a rubicon take off for $300 after the rubicon owner shells out $1200 for the mopar lift...

My point? Everyone (most) upgrade their Jeep regardless of which model they buy..
The Sport S I'm getting is $10k less than a Rubicon. It still will have std. a/c, p/w, p/l, alloys, and $3,500 worth of options including. trailer tow, ltd slip,, all terr.tires, alpine system, xm radio, deluxe top, even adding the Rubicon optional steel bumpers for an additional $2k brings the total to about $10k less than a Rubicon. I'm not going off road and I don't need such low gearing and rock-climbing suspension and tires, and I don't want the luxury features of an Escalade either.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
@carguy1959

I think you miss my point, but I'm not knocking the Sport. Even the base Unicorn is an outstanding off road beast with personality.

To some, the extra you get with the Rubicon is worth it. That is all.

Happy trails. :jk: