Sponsored

How are you supposed to buy a new jeep

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
If the dealership wanted to they could sell below invoice. If you sell enough vehicles at below invoice, then you can make more money then not selling at invoice. Lots of dealers have chosen to do it, and all could if they wanted too...
My point was calling, walking in wearing a suit and tie, or emailing, it won't matter. The price is already set. If you don't use the tools on this forum to order under invoice using the dealers listed, you are losing a lot of money.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I’ve been looking myself to get out of my 2018 grand Cherokee and into a JL but had to take a mental break from it just due to how exhausting it is. Gupton is sounding like a good idea I just know logistics are going to be a pain for me however.
At least from Pa. you are in a good region to go in any direction for a great deal!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I’ve been looking myself to get out of my 2018 grand Cherokee and into a JL but had to take a mental break from it just due to how exhausting it is. Gupton is sounding like a good idea I just know logistics are going to be a pain for me however.
How so? With the money you save you can more than pay to have it shipped from Gupton to you.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

if you're trying to do your communication with Dealers through a keyboard, you're making it hard on yourself; most of these guys still work via phone. (point: most of the software they use to track their sales contacts file us by our phone number.)

go to the J**p website to build your build sheet, call around as far as you're willing to travel and ask for the Fleet Manager. tell him you're going to be buying a J**p and you want to e-mail him your build sheet to have him make his best quote on it. this will quickly sift out the guys that think they can lead anyone to buy anything, and get you to the guys that will go straight to the numbers if they want to play. make a spreadsheet to keep track of them as you go. expect some of them to renege on what they quoted, and thank those that don't want to make a quote for not wasting your time.
i personally talked to a couple of dozen dealers. the best quote i got was at the other end of the state, but another dealer 40 mins away from me came within $140. my local dealer wouldn't even get within $1000 of that price.

take advantage of the list of dealers that are willing to play on this website that's already been pointed out.
one friend/co-member here figured it was worth going halfway cross-country to pick up his new order a few months ago. but he had the time, truck and trailer to drag it home, so it was worth it to him. not everyone's situation is accommodating of that. (and there's the question of how you want to break it in if you're not buying locally,...)

you're probably going to have the vehicle for a while, so IMO it's worth spending an afternoon calling around to find who you want to work with, and waiting for exactly what you want to be built.
How much of a discount have you received recently with that approach?

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

i paid 46,251 (before taxes) against an MSRP total of 50,750 (which included Dest Fee).
About 9% below MSRP. That's almost as good as what I got, and mine wasn't that great compared to the others on the spreadsheet in my sig. I'm guessing that you enjoyed doing that search and haggling. Some of us dread that aspect of buying a vehicle.

Hernan

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4XE
No CDJR in my area will go below $2.5K over MSRP and they're not accepting the FCA Affiliates discount. One had a GC Trailhawk with a $7K markup and $5K discount. Looking at GC forums, those things seem to be falling apart. The sales manager had the audacity to say "you can throw in that FCA discount my way, can help me out with this big discount I'm having on this hot model". I really hope after shortages many dealers go bankrupt.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

No CDJR in my area will go below $2.5K over MSRP and they're not accepting the FCA Affiliates discount. One had a GC Trailhawk with a $7K markup and $5K discount. Looking at GC forums, those things seem to be falling apart. The sales manager had the audacity to say "you can throw in that FCA discount my way, can help me out with this big discount I'm having on this hot model". I really hope after shortages many dealers go bankrupt.
It seems like most people in CA either order through Tuttle Click in Irvine CA at 1% below invoice or Peterson in Nampa ID at 2 - 6.5% below.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i don't know if i'd say i "enjoyed" the search; it was a task worth doing well if i wanted to enjoy the result.

as for haggling, i don't feel like i really did; i just shopped around. i let the sellers haggle amongst themselves. ;-)

FWIW, it was Rob at Tuttle that offered me what was technically the best price; it just wasn't better enough than what i got from Dean @ Anitoch to justify the trip.

About 9% below MSRP. That's almost as good as what I got, and mine wasn't that great compared to the others on the spreadsheet in my sig. I'm guessing that you enjoyed doing that search and haggling. Some of us dread that aspect of buying a vehicle.

Mike81189

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee looking to purchase Wrangler
How so? With the money you save you can more than pay to have it shipped from Gupton to you.
Mainly because we are gearing up to move to South Carolina in the coming months but don’t quite have a set date yet so I’m not sure where I’ll be when it comes time to take delivery.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Mainly because we are gearing up to move to South Carolina in the coming months but don’t quite have a set date yet so I’m not sure where I’ll be when it comes time to take delivery.
That seems to negate one of the benefits of buying locally: having it arrive at a dealership near you.

It sounds like you'll be probably be jumping on a plane to pick it up anyways, so consider ordering it from a dealership that offers significantly better prices.

Mike81189

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee looking to purchase Wrangler
That seems to negate one of the benefits of buying locally: having it arrive at a dealership near you.

It sounds like you'll be probably be jumping on a plane to pick it up anyways, so consider ordering it from a dealership that offers significantly better prices.
I think I’m going to send a couple build options I have to Gupton and see what we would be looking at. Maybe I can turn it into a small impromptu vacation to Nashville

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
i paid 46,251 (before taxes) against an MSRP total of 50,750 (which included Dest Fee).
And you believe you could not have achieved the same result via email? I agree with @Ratbert that you seem to enjoy the hunt. And that's totally fine. The OP gave the impression that they would like the exact opposite. So folks give advice in this thread that is the most streamlined and minimal stress.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
absolutely.

i tried e-mail, text, and online webforms as well, and didn't get a fraction of the responses or anywhere near the quality of response that i did by reaching out by phone. don't miss the key point; i went directly to the Fleet Manager; they're typically the least BS'ish and used to getting right to the point.
(exactly *one* contact made via e-mail/webform ranked as moderately useful, and even that took more time/energy than by working with them on the phone. the rest were trying to lead me, completely unresponsive or were otherwise a waste of time.)

and as i said; i don't enjoy the hunt; it's not how i would choose to spend my time. i am interested in the result of having done it well.

stress? it's only stressful if you forget that you're the one with the power; you have the money that they want.
it's just shopping. if they aren't cooperative, competitive, or whatever it is that you value, they don't get to do biz with you.

And you believe you could not have achieved the same result via email? I agree with @Ratbert that you seem to enjoy the hunt. And that's totally fine. The OP gave the impression that they would like the exact opposite. So folks give advice in this thread that is the most streamlined and minimal stress.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
absolutely.

i tried e-mail, text, and online webforms as well, and didn't get a fraction of the responses or anywhere near the quality of response that i did by reaching out by phone. don't miss the key point; i went directly to the Fleet Manager; they're typically the least BS'ish and used to getting right to the point.
(exactly *one* contact made via e-mail/webform ranked as moderately useful, and even that took more time/energy than by working with them on the phone. the rest were trying to lead me, completely unresponsive or were otherwise a waste of time.)

and as i said; i don't enjoy the hunt; it's not how i would choose to spend my time. i am interested in the result of having done it well.

stress? it's only stressful if you forget that you're the one with the power; you have the money that they want.
it's just shopping. if they aren't cooperative, competitive, or whatever it is that you value, they don't get to do biz with you.
My goodness. I dunno it sounds like you got really into the process! But you said you didn't, so let's go with that. I've always just reached out to a recommended dealer and gotten the deal I wanted right away. Clearly both approaches work, so it's all good!
Sponsored