Sponsored

Think twice before buying a 4xe

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Wrongo, the 392 XR does not stop it’s fun at 99 mph. You need to read the posts before you spout misinformation. You seem pretty passionate about the 4xe and I apologize if you’ve been offended. I’m just stating my perspective of the 4xe resale value.
Stock it does; I've driven my supplier's 392 Wrangler a few times. His stops at 99mph. If you speak of modding then of course all bets are off or perhaps they silently slapped on a governor on recent ones?
Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Yes yes, the number one selling plugin hybrid in the country for nearly 2 years now is just failing left and right. Thats why this forum and the 4xe forum are just full of issues and people talking about how terrible they are and they are just sitting on lots collecting dust instead of being bought as fast as they can appear on the lot...oh wait lol.
You are describing pretty much ALL cars… did you not know there was a shortage, lol!

I see Gladiators and 4xe’s sitting on lots recently. I see quite a few GC moving slowly too and I don’t know why🤷‍♂️ as the new GCs are pretty nice!!

392s that hit the lots (non-customer order) don’t last more than a few days and are still selling about $ 5-10k above sticker.

4xe might be best selling plug-in hybrid right now, but people like “shiny new things”. Give it a couple years…

Just one example of what’s really going on:

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock it does; I've driven my supplier's 392 Wrangler a few times. His stops at 99mph. If you speak of modding then of course all bets are off or perhaps they silently slapped on a governor on recent ones?
Nope, you’re wrong again. You obviously are oblivious to the different wrangler models. The stock wrangler 392 XR does 0-60 in ~4 seconds flat and has a top speed of 112 mph.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
You are describing pretty much ALL cars… did you not know there was a shortage, lol!

I see Gladiators and 4xe’s sitting on lots recently. I see quite a few GC moving slowly too and I don’t know why🤷‍♂️ as the new GCs are pretty nice!!

392s that hit the lots (non-customer order) don’t last more than a few days and are still selling about $ 5-10k above sticker.

4xe might be best selling plug-in hybrid right now, but people like “shiny new things”. Give it a couple years…

Wait is your argument that the 4xe sucks because it isn't a limited edition collectors type of vehicle like the 392? Seriously?

Your original argument was it's unreliable and will have bad resale value and that no one will want one. All that's false since it's not proving to be any less reliable, the 3 and 5 year resale is right in line with every other jeep, and it's the hottest selling jeep behind the 392 in terms of difficulty to sourxe and the top plugin hybrid.

The 4xe is not a 392 in performance but it's no slouch, much like the 392 is no g63 or v8 defender for performance, but it's still pretty great.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

just in case you haven't been paying attention all vehicles have the odd lemon, that is why America has a lemon law.

also check non 4xe JL "lemon" issues

the vast majority of 4xe "issues" are from posters like you lol

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait is your argument that the 4xe sucks because it isn't a limited edition collectors type of vehicle like the 392? Seriously?

Your original argument was it's unreliable and will have bad resale value and that no one will want one. All that's false since it's not proving to be any less reliable, the 3 and 5 year resale is right in line with every other jeep, and it's the hottest selling jeep behind the 392 in terms of difficulty to sourxe and the top plugin hybrid.

The 4xe is not a 392 in performance but it's no slouch, much like the 392 is no g63 or v8 defender for performance, but it's still pretty great.
What?!?! You’re talking about 3 and 5 year resale on a vehicle that has only been out for less than two years?!?! Did you use your time machine to travel to the future to get those figures😂😂😂

And the Jeep 392XR is almost a full second quicker 0-60 than the overpriced Land Rover Defender😂😂. Give up dude😜🫣. Your steady stream of misinformation points to you being the “poser”!!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Medium's article doesn't mention the <1000LB payload capacity, or the 10'+ lost because of the battery hump. GMVR alone seems to make the 4xe a bad choice for offroaders. Just my opinion.

When I bought my 2021 JLUR, I had to decide between it and a 4xe, only $5K difference. The weight/space issue made it an easy choice for me.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What?!?! You’re talking about 3 and 5 year resale on a vehicle that has only been out for less than two years?!?! Did you use your time machine to travel to the future to get those figures😂😂😂

And the Jeep 392XR is almost a full second quicker 0-60 than the overpriced Land Rover Defender😂😂. Give up dude😜🫣
The 392 is not even a half a second quicker 0-60 than the defender. The defender and the g63 absolutely smoke the wrangler at the top end, the wrangler hangs due to gearing but runs out of steam, the defender is almost a full second faster to 100, breaks the 1/4 mile over 5 mph faster, and just has so much more power left, not to mention the blower helping at altitude to negate power loss. The G63 is in a whole other league so its not even worth mentioning other than dont bother trying it, you'll be massively embarassed.

You must not know how leases work, 3-5 year resale values are estimated all the time by companies, and are rarely off by more than a few percentage points (and thats usually in models that either straight up fail, or are unimaginably popular). The 4xe estimates have it being right in line, and the data so far backs up that they hold their value just like a wrangler (better actually).

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, you’re wrong again. You obviously are oblivious to the different wrangler models. The stock wrangler 392 XR does 0-60 in ~4 seconds flat and has a top speed of 112 mph.
Well, you don't have yours yet, do you? Yet, you're now a 392 XR expert and dismissive of some real world testing? The stock 392 XR I've driven did 0-60 in 4.1-4.3 secs (per my supplier's gMeter) and topped out at...99mph...flat out. At Rt66 in Chicagoland it laid down a 13.45 at 99mph. I recall him saying his paperwork stated 97mph governed.

So perhaps a new governor was slipped in for the latest production models, as I indicated above, to now yield 112mph? The off-road tires are barely rated for that before structural integrity comes into play. I'm passionate about vehicles, aviation and fond of all Jeeps but still don't feel any insecurity for having a worthless 4xe.:like:

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're really just into the 0-60 and 1/4 mile and want to stay with the Jeep brand and have a Hemi, you might be better served getting a GC Trackhawk. Just sayin'

Sponsored

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Medium's article doesn't mention the <1000LB payload capacity, or the 10'+ lost because of the battery hump. GMVR alone seems to make the 4xe a bad choice for offroaders. Just my opinion.

When I bought my 2021 JLUR, I had to decide between it and a 4xe, only $5K difference. The weight/space issue made it an easy choice for me.

All 4 door wranglers technically have the same payload of 850 lbs stamped on the door. If you go gvwr - gvw the sahara 4xe is actually just around 1000 lbs and the fully loaded rubicon is ~900.

In general, i think the 4xe is a terrible overlander though as its use case is short trips near electricity. If you plan on being away from the grid for extended periods of time...get the 3.6 or 2.0 and some jerry cans lol.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
All 4 door wranglers technically have the same payload of 850 lbs stamped on the door. If you go gvwr - gvw the sahara 4xe is actually just around 1000 lbs and the fully loaded rubicon is ~900.

In general, i think the 4xe is a terrible overlander though as its use case is short trips near electricity. If you plan on being away from the grid for extended periods of time...get the 3.6 or 2.0 and some jerry cans lol.
My nearly fully feature loaded JLUR has a payload capacity of 1,350. :) That's with a hard top too.

I overland with 4G of fuel attached to the spare tire on the left, and a 5LB propane on the right, and a long mist of other weighty stuff (RTT, etc).

https://rockslideengineering.com/product/ez-rack-kit/

Even fully packed, I'm under GVWR. :)

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Sorry, You are wrong on all accounts. You must live under a rock. Remove your blinders and look at all the posts of those who are hesitant to buy a 4xe for the lack of service support. Dealership Service Departments are discouraging buyers from buying the 4xe until the tech gets better 🤷‍♂️ Don’t shoot the messenger 🫣
The ones claiming to be on the sidelines looking at a 4xe, and deciding against it sounds a lot like the fox and the grapes.

Dealership service departments are discouraging, sounds more like a crock of sh..