Sponsored

Second thoughts?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'll be honest: the payments suck. A lot. I'm young, and this is only my second car I've purchased on my own, so I'm used to having a car payment, but this is way higher than what I was paying before. I do log into that payment screen, see the monthly payment, and wince a little bit.

But like others have said, it comes down to your perspective on money versus memories/experience. Which is worth more to you?

I've only had my JL since January, but since then I've worked on modifying it with the help of my dad, leading to some really cool moments that otherwise we may not have had together. My wife and I have taken a couple roadtrips with the roof off, just enjoying that open-air experience and being together. My little brother and I are going to go off roading at a couple places he knows when he comes home for Memorial Day.

It sounds petty, but these are little moments that I wouldn't have with another vehicle, and that's why I went with the JL even though it has that higher price. Sure, I could've just bought a CR-V or something for like 20,000 less, so... just have to ask yourself is 20,000 is worth more to you than possible memories and experiences that this vehicle is uniquely capable of providing. Even though I wince at those payments sometimes, I smile when I think of the cool stuff I've already done with the Jeep and the cool stuff coming up in the future that I wouldn't be doing with most other cars.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
There was a time when I was waiting for my Sport S to come in when I was planning a bunch of mods and I was wondering if I should have just splurged and gotten the Rubicon. I was thinking about all the things I was adding that would have come with the Rubicon - tires, optioned wheels, Rubi suspension, updated grill, LED headlights, etc. I started to think I was going to pay more that I would have for a Rubi in the first place.

Now that I have it I realize I don't need half that stuff. I got the tires and I will do the LED headlights at some point. I am very happy with my Sport S and don't regret not getting the Rubi at all.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I'll be honest: the payments suck. A lot. I'm young, and this is only my second car I've purchased on my own, so I'm used to having a car payment, but this is way higher than what I was paying before. I do log into that payment screen, see the monthly payment, and wince a little bit.

But like others have said, it comes down to your perspective on money versus memories/experience. Which is worth more to you?

I've only had my JL since January, but since then I've worked on modifying it with the help of my dad, leading to some really cool moments that otherwise we may not have had together. My wife and I have taken a couple roadtrips with the roof off, just enjoying that open-air experience and being together. My little brother and I are going to go off roading at a couple places he knows when he comes home for Memorial Day.

It sounds petty, but these are little moments that I wouldn't have with another vehicle, and that's why I went with the JL even though it has that higher price. Sure, I could've just bought a CR-V or something for like 20,000 less, so... just have to ask yourself is 20,000 is worth more to you than possible memories and experiences that this vehicle is uniquely capable of providing. Even though I wince at those payments sometimes, I smile when I think of the cool stuff I've already done with the Jeep and the cool stuff coming up in the future that I wouldn't be doing with most other cars.
Remember, you would pretty much have all those same exact memories with a cheaper 2018 JK or even an older used one for half the price. What you're saying definitely justifies a Jeep, but not necessarily a brand new JL.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Remember, you would pretty much have all those same exact memories with a cheaper 2018 JK or even an older used one for half the price. What you're saying definitely justifies a Jeep, but not necessarily a brand new JL.
Good points

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Already there. $55k for my JLU Rubicon. Just about fully loaded.
D473F3FC-550B-487D-84E8-174EDF9C4AB5.jpeg
448FC08C-AF51-4D64-9C14-325BA607A409.jpeg
9DE22EBC-A27D-4F26-AAA7-38CA564C1FF3.jpeg
Where'd you get your white light bar? I haven't seen any after market attachments for the stock bumpers yet.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Where'd you get your white light bar? I haven't seen any after market attachments for the stock bumpers yet.
It’s a steel bumper. Mopar offers the bull bar for it, but not for the plastic one.

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone! I just joined, but have been creeping the forums for a few weeks now. Glad to hear the giddiness of all you new JL owners! I had a '99 TJ and now I have a 2007 JKU Sport. I will be ordering the JLUR next month - planning for it to arrive just in time for my 50th birthday in August. Happy birthday to me!!

I am having one heck of a time picking the color. Of all my vehicles over the years I have had 2 white, 2 silver/light gray, 1 dark gray, 1 black and the only non-white/black/gray was the TJ. It was Deep Amethyst Pearl. I love the granite, but am trying to step up my game and was thinking Punk'n. Unfortunately it's not as much a burnt orange as the original release photos now that I've seen it in person I'm not 100% sold. I like the Ocean Blue, too. Decisions, decisions. If the granite has the red dash, that might seal the deal. I read in this thread that the punk'n has a gray dash. That is a bummer.

Regardless of colors, though, the new Rubicon is awesome and I just can't wait to get it. I know I will cringe every month as I send that payment, but this will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned, but I think I've worked hard all my life and deserve to splurge a little (ok, a LOT)

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
The red dash is why I stayed with granite. Don't like the silver with punkin

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a steel bumper. Mopar offers the bull bar for it, but not for the plastic one.
Sweet! I'm definitely upgrading to the steel bumpers. Does it come in matching body colors or did you paint it? I just may stick with black.

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
That's not for ALL Fords...just the Raptor and the Shelby Mustang...but again, it all has to do with supply and demand. They are limited to how many they will build of each. Evidently, they are so popular, even with the price adjustment, people were still willing to pay the price.
A dealer near me has 4 Raptors ranging from 75 to 80k. Dealer says they add an additional 10k to the price. I’d never pay that for a truck, never.

Sponsored

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
A dealer near me has 4 Raptors ranging from 75 to 80k. Dealer says they add an additional 10k to the price. I’d never pay that for a truck, never.
Double negative, so when do ya pick up your raptor?

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
This topic has probably been addressed in other forums, but I have a different take since this is post-purchase thought.

So after owning your shiny new rig for a couple of days, weeks, months...anyone with second thoughts on the purchase price?

I mean my 2013 JKU Freedom Edition set me back $31K and it was a good value. My Rubicon set me back $49K so sometimes I wonder if the $18K increase was worth it. I love the rig, but I trying to figure out where that $18K went in to.

At this rate we’re going to see Rubicon’s at the $55K-$60K range in a few years.
I've been saying we'll see a JLxx of some sort hitting $80k in the years to come.

The additional $18k "worth it"...who knows! I tend to do all my analysis/fretting pre-purchase because there's not much use to me in doing at afterwards. It is the most expensive and only new vehicle I've ever purchase though.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ummm...have you been reading these forums? They are filled with people bitching about their purchases. Granted they mostly blame FCA rather than their own over-blown expectations but it is a classic form of buyers remorse.

I literally scream every time I read "I paid $50k and I deserve <fill in with your choice of unmet expectation>", combine that with the groan whenever some righteous ahole finds an opportunity to leap into a thread with "that's why I never buy the 1st year of production"; and my family is starting to think I'm developing early dementia.

I'm thrilled with my purchase and actually pretty pleased with the value I got for the price I paid.

And since I sold my Tesla stock to buy it 4 months ago; bonus points to me!!
LOL, I was actually looking at a Tesla too, but backed off for various reasons.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like, to us old timers, that the NEW JEEP OWNERS are a far cry from the off-road YJ/TJ/JK jeepers--

Sign of the times--very disappointing-

Whatever

JIMBO

squirrel.jpg
Sponsored