Sponsored

LSD Diff - Issues?

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
For those of you who have had to have your LSD factory replaced, can you share the mileage and also how much off-roading you did before that happened? Is this something that happens with normal driving or is made worse by going off-road harder on it? Thanks!

Just got my '22 JLU-High Altitude a few months ago and i'm loving it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
For those of you who have had to have your LSD factory replaced, can you share the mileage and also how much off-roading you did before that happened? Is this something that happens with normal driving or is made worse by going off-road harder on it? Thanks!

Just got my '22 JLU-High Altitude a few months ago and i'm loving it!
55A26C08-254C-4250-8F2B-6482723D0F4A.jpeg

1A6CB28A-FBC6-46FF-8B09-9D9EBFE722F3.jpeg

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Congrats on your new Ride.. šŸ‘

As for your LSD, change your gear lube, change your gear lube, and change your gear lubeā€¦.This is one of the key items for longevityā€¦

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
Congrats on your new Ride.. šŸ‘

As for your LSD, change your gear lube, change your gear lube, and change your gear lubeā€¦.This is one of the key items for longevityā€¦
Thanks Iā€™m loving it. Itā€™s going to be a badass winter vehicle and it already a super fun summer ride. Iā€™ll do a little off-roading but no rock crawling. Itā€™s the perfect setup for me and what we plan to use it for.

Haha Iā€™m starting to feel like I should change my gear lube. šŸ˜‚ thanks, I appreciate the tip. How frequently would you recommend?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Thanks Iā€™m loving it. Itā€™s going to be a badass winter vehicle and it already a super fun summer ride. Iā€™ll do a little off-roading but no rock crawling. Itā€™s the perfect setup for me and what we plan to use it for.

Haha Iā€™m starting to feel like I should change my gear lube. šŸ˜‚ thanks, I appreciate the tip. How frequently would you recommend?
The first change at 10,000 miles, and then every 30,000 thereafter. Just make sure that you use a gear oil, that has the LSD additive already in it. Most on the shelf Brands, already have the additive in it. It should say so on the bottle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
The first change at 10,000 miles, and then every 30,000 thereafter. Just make sure that you use a gear oil, that has the LSD additive already in it. Most on the shelf Brands, already have the additive in it. It should say so on the bottle.
Thanks. I wonder if the dealership has that kind? I'm not overly interested in changing my own. lol.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Youā€™ll find that your Jeep with Limited Slip is a Very capable vehicle-esp with a decent set of tires. Unless you are into extreme rock crawling or serious mud bogging it will do anything you may want to do. And for winter driving it will outperform a lot of ā€œmore capableā€ rigs (Lockers and ice are not a nice combination on the roadšŸ˜)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I wonder if the dealership has that kind? I'm not overly interested in changing my own. lol.
It is a very easy task and you can save a lot of money doing it yourself.
Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Castrol are all "off the shelf" oils that have the required limited slip additive in it.

Here is a good how to video:

Sponsored

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Castrol are all "off the shelf" oils that have the required limited slip additive in it.

Ok, much easier than I thought. Thanks, Iā€™m loving this guysā€™ videos, heā€™s great. I saw his video where he got a second hand Rubicon Sway bar and installed it on his sport to make it much easier to disconnect. Haha so cool!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, much easier than I thought. Thanks, Iā€™m loving this guysā€™ videos, heā€™s great. I saw his video where he got a second hand Rubicon Sway bar and installed it on his sport to make it much easier to disconnect. Haha so cool!
Yep; he is one of the better ones on YT. There are plenty of hacks so you do have to watch some of them with a grain of salt.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

Definitely enjoy his YouTube channel, although I don't understand why he's been blackballed here on the forums. I would recommend his videos to any JL owner.

Regardless, I'm curious about the type of gear oil. I have a 2-door Sport with 345 and LSD rear diff, so I suspect I should be using a different weight oil, correct? Unfortunately, there's no gear oil specification in the owner's manual, so appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance and happy Jeepin!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely enjoy his YouTube channel, although I don't understand why he's been blackballed here on the forums. I would recommend his videos to any JL owner.

Regardless, I'm curious about the type of gear oil. I have a 2-door Sport with 345 and LSD rear diff, so I suspect I should be using a different weight oil, correct? Unfortunately, there's no gear oil specification in the owner's manual, so appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance and happy Jeepin!
I always recommend 75W-140 because that is what Dana recommends. Valvoline, Castrol, or Mobil 1 are all good off the shelf choices. Amsoil is a great "3rd party" choice.

Speaking only for myself, I am not a fan of Redline or Royal Purple because there are other oils that will work just as well at a lower cost.