Sponsored

“You'll Almost Have to Buy an Electric Vehicle if Climate Bill Passes”

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Yeah - I have to wonder if I even want to live in a world without a big block Chevy and open headers.
There hasn’t been a performance vehicle on sale with a BBC is a long time.
Not sure why you are correlating new car sales going EV to losing the freedom to build a BBC.

big blocks suck anyway unless you’re trying to make 2000hp, which means you’re probably running a 2 speed trans, hardly a “joy of driving” setup.
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I'm ready.

WP_000209.jpg

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing forcing people to switch, but it may be in your best interest. The economies of scale that allow gas prices to be low (and no one wants to hear it, but $5/gallon is still low) will evaporate over time. The cost in 10 years to fill a tank with dino-juice is going to be staggering (Think $13 per gallon) as refining winds down capacity based on diminished demand.

Steam engines were better than ICE when ICE came out. And lordy, there's was no place to get gas! I can't believe that inferior technology caught on. (It's a sneak peak at our future.)

I'm going EV in 5 years. Going to give it another generation of development.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Im just of the opinion that generally if a product is ready for market, you don’t need to be incentivized to buy.
It’s pretty simple. People are deathly afraid of change. Scarier than an alien invasion for a lot of people. Whenever anything new is introduced there’s going to be a giant sector who thinks it’s because someone is out to get them. If they had it their way everyone would be using horse and buggy transport. How good or bad the product is almost doesnt matter.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There's nothing forcing people to switch, but it may be in your best interest. The economies of scale that allow gas prices to be low (and no one wants to hear it, but $5/gallon is still low) will evaporate over time. The cost in 10 years to fill a tank with dino-juice is going to be staggering (Think $13 per gallon) as refining winds down capacity based on diminished demand.

Steam engines were better than ICE when ICE came out. And lordy, there's was no place to get gas! I can't believe that inferior technology caught on. (It's a sneak peak at our future.)

I'm going EV in 5 years. Going to give it another generation of development.
Me predicts gas prices will "tank" and electricity will jump to levels unimagined, making them on par with each other when EV gets competitive on a large scale. Basically, they'll seek equilibrium and what the market will bear.

Sponsored

_oIIIIIIIo_

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
As a believer in personal choice guided by need, want, finances, and market forces I have no animosity against EV’s or their owners. I do have great animosity against market forces being manipulated by taxpayer funded bribes, electric ratepayer funded bribes, mandate, regulations, production percentages, energy policies, EPA and MPG standards, even preferred parking starting to appear for EV’s to push us into them because the powers that be want it, and they want it Now.
The “free market economy” simply doesn’t exist. Oil companies and the fossil fuel industry get tens of billions in federal subsidies and tax breaks every year. Big business manipulates the market just as much as government, sometimes more in certain industries. Agreed, it would be wonderful if the world could exist without market interventions, but someone will always try and put themselves before the market and cause manipulation.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I've got an open mind on all of this.

On one hand, I love my big powerful ICEs. I just rode in a friend's JK with a 460 hp MoTec Chevy LT1 and a 10 speed AT and its amazing.

On the other hand, I recently drove a friend's Tesla Model S Long Range. Its got about 700 hp and can do 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.

It is quite simply the quickest car I've ever driven.

The current problems with EVs is not range. His Tesla already has more range than my Jeep.

The problems are:
1) Recharge times - I can gas up in 10 minutes. His car takes hours.
2) Availability of places to recharge.

All of these problems will resolve themselves over the next 10 years. At that point, EVs will be a real alternative to gas. Until then . . NO.

At this point, the best all around powertrain is the plug in hybrid.

Toyota makes a fantastic system that they use in the RAV4 Prime.

It is the second quickest vehicle in Toyota's lineup, other than the Supra. It is also the most fuel efficient vehicle in Toyota's lineup other than the Prius. So overall pretty amazing.

In the RAV4 it can give you about 45 miles of pure electric. But if you ignore the plug in aspect it simply gets you 40 mpg and blasts you through quarter in 13.9 sec at 100 mph.

Anyone who know cars knows that a 100 mph terminal speed in the quarter is a quick car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33028735/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-xse-by-the-numbers/

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Another benefit of the plug in hybrid, besides the fact that it gives the same driving experience as a gas car is that it gets by with a battery about ONE TENTH the size of a BEV vehicle.

A friend worked as a technician in a Chevy dealership. They typically get Chevy Volts in with roughly 100k on the odometer and only 5000 miles on the engine.

So you are achieving a 95% electrification rate with a battery that is only 10% of the size of a BEV.

This is because for 90% of all drivers 95% of the time, a vehicle with a 50 mile range is enough for a given day. So on most days the Volt (or any other PHEV with a 50 mile electric range) runs as an electric vehicle.

But if you need to go on a trip, you just gas it up and drive. No worries.

And don't forget that PHEV powertrains can give you a Jeep that goes 0-60 in ~6 seconds and still get great fuel economy.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Another benefit of the plug in hybrid, besides the fact that it gives the same driving experience as a gas car is that it gets by with a battery about ONE TENTH the size of a BEV vehicle.

A friend worked as a technician in a Chevy dealership. They typically get Chevy Volts in with roughly 100k on the odometer and only 5000 miles on the engine.

So you are achieving a 95% electrification rate with a battery that is only 10% of the size of a BEV.

This is because for 90% of all drivers 95% of the time, a vehicle with a 50 mile range is enough for a given day. So on most days the Volt (or any other PHEV with a 50 mile electric range) runs as an electric vehicle.

But if you need to go on a trip, you just gas it up and drive. No worries.

And don't forget that PHEV powertrains can give you a Jeep that goes 0-60 in ~6 seconds and still get great fuel economy.
Hybrid and full electric are 2 different animals with same Mom and different Dads.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Sweet now repeat that line to yourself in front of the mirror. 😉👍🏻
Ok just did

i could care less who’s president, and sure as hell don’t look at whose president when I judge how much I like or dislike certain regulations

The real joke is aligning with a particular party or group of people and genuinely believing you have your own thoughts. It’s also pathetic to idolize any high level elected official who by nature of our election process weeds out any person with actual fundamental morals and a desire to help the people.

I’m good on the youtube/reddit kindergarten politics on the jeep forum.

devnull

First Name
Darth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Sport
Occupation
Scientific Negotiator
Ok just did

i could care less who’s president, and sure as hell don’t look at whose president when I judge how much I like or dislike certain regulations

The real joke is aligning with a particular party or group of people and genuinely believing you have your own thoughts. It’s also pathetic to idolize any high level elected official who by nature of our election process weeds out any person with actual fundamental morals and a desire to help the people.

I’m good on the youtube/reddit kindergarten politics on the jeep forum.
kindergarten politics seems to be your strong suit. Hyper confidence in small portions of the story are always the argument.

Look at me, I’ve got a ZERO emissions vehicle (plugged into a coal factory, powered by lithium)

saving the planet one EV at a time!