First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
So....I just bought the same HMMWV jack and AO adapter, but there is no room on the driver's end of the front axle for the adaptor because it is too wide. As a result, I can't use it to lift the front driver's side wheel. I assume you've noticed this as well, so how are you lifting that corner of the Jeep?
I don't know, it works for me.

hummer jack.jpg
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know, it works for me.
Yep...unfortunately, the pad that connects to the bottom of the shock absorber is too far outboard along the axle and does not allow enough room for the adaptor to fully seat:

Jeep Wrangler JL My new scissor jack setup IMG_4499.JPG

Same issue on the passenger side, so it's not like this is a one-off anomaly. Luckily there's enough bare axle between this point and the diff on the passenger side so the adaptor can seat properly. Unfortunately, this isn't the case for the driver's side, so I need to see if Jack Buddy or Safe Jack adaptors will work with the HMMWV jack and can fit properly. They appear to be narrower, so this will just have to be a trial-and-error science experiment. More to follow, but glad yours works well.

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Yep...unfortunately, the pad that connects to the bottom of the shock absorber is too far outboard along the axle and does not allow enough room for the adaptor to fully seat:

Jeep Wrangler JL My new scissor jack setup IMG_4499.JPG

Same issue on the passenger side, so it's not like this is a one-off anomaly. Luckily there's enough bare axle between this point and the diff on the passenger side so the adaptor can seat properly. Unfortunately, this isn't the case for the driver's side, so I need to see if Jack Buddy or Safe Jack adaptors will work with the HMMWV jack and can fit properly. They appear to be narrower, so this will just have to be a trial-and-error science experiment. More to follow, but glad yours works well.
Mine is a 392XR, which has wider axles. Maybe that?

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can ya grind 1/4" off the side of the block ?
I thought about doing that too, but unfortunately, I don't have the tools available. For now, I'd rather find a product that just fits instead of modifying something. I just ordered this adaptor because it is much narrower than AO's, but we'll see what happens when it arrives:

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/axle-tube-pad-for-bottle-jack

Hopefully this does the trick but I'll advise either way.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I thought about doing that too, but unfortunately, I don't have the tools available. For now, I'd rather find a product that just fits instead of modifying something. I just ordered this adaptor because it is much narrower than AO's, but we'll see what happens when it arrives:

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/axle-tube-pad-for-bottle-jack

Hopefully this does the trick but I'll advise either way.
If you kept the AO block, I can whittle whatever you need off of it. I have access to a full machine shop. Let me know.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you kept the AO block, I can whittle whatever you need off of it. I have access to a full machine shop. Let me know.
Uh, oh what go you banned (when you hopefully get un-banned you can 'splain :( )

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
The only thing I don't like about scissor jacks is their tendency to tip over as you're trying to get it set up. The friction from rotating the screw is often high enough to just torque the thing over.

I kept the factory scissor jack, but I splurged on a U.S. Jack as an addition. I keep it in the back compartment.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much for the offer! Hopefully the Safe Jack adaptor will work OK and I won't need to do anything. Will advise as soon as it arrives. Much appreciated.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To complete my HMMWV jack saga above (if you really are still interested), I ordered a jack pad from Safe Jack, which worked out much better than the AO adaptor because it is only 1.5 inches wide and fits perfectly at both jacking points on the front axle; rear axle has plenty of room. Only modification I made on the Safe Jack pad, was to cut down both ends by 1/2", to avoid contact with the other suspension components along each axle. The setup works great, but the diameter of the jack pad's receiver is approximately .10-inch wider than the jack's ram, so it is much looser that the AO adaptor. To mitigate this, I will try to find a metal sleeve that is big enough to fit over the ram, and small enough to fit inside the jack pad's receiver. If that's not possible, a couple wraps of duct tape around the ram will fill the void and keep the jack pad snug but still moveable.

Jeep Wrangler JL My new scissor jack setup IMG_4509.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL My new scissor jack setup IMG_4510.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL My new scissor jack setup IMG_4511.JPG

Luckily, after all my time driving HMMWVs in the military I never had to use one of these jacks, but they are great for Jeep use, thanks to their robust construction and wide 12"x7" base plate. Bottle jacks are great, but a quality scissor jack will never leak and is pretty much indestructible if used properly. Pretty clear why these were standard issue in the first place.

Hope this helps others who are interested in this jack setup and glad to answer any questions. Happy (and safe) Jeepin'!

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
To complete my HMMWV jack saga above (if you really are still interested), I ordered a jack pad from Safe Jack, which worked out much better than the AO adaptor because it is only 1.5 inches wide and fits perfectly at both jacking points on the front axle; rear axle has plenty of room. Only modification I made on the Safe Jack pad, was to cut down both ends by 1/2", to avoid contact with the other suspension components along each axle. The setup works great, but the diameter of the jack pad's receiver is approximately .10-inch wider than the jack's ram, so it is much looser that the AO adaptor. To mitigate this, I will try to find a metal sleeve that is big enough to fit over the ram, and small enough to fit inside the jack pad's receiver. If that's not possible, a couple wraps of duct tape around the ram will fill the void and keep the jack pad snug but still moveable.

Luckily, after all my time driving HMMWVs in the military I never had to use one of these jacks, but they are great for Jeep use, thanks to their robust construction and wide 12"x7" base plate. Bottle jacks are great, but a quality scissor jack will never leak and is pretty much indestructible if used properly. Pretty clear why these were standard issue in the first place.

Hope this helps others who are interested in this jack setup and glad to answer any questions. Happy (and safe) Jeepin'!

Definitely still interested. I bought a JL so that I could go solo into the wilderness. I need need a Jack that is reliable and zero maintenance.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely still interested. I bought a JL so that I could go solo into the wilderness. I need need a Jack that is reliable and zero maintenance.
Yep...I won't claim that this is the best thing out there, but I got a decent deal on a brand-new mil-spec jack, and it works very well for my needs. Obviously, 100 forum members will have a 100 different opinions on this topic, and all have their merits. As long as it's safe and reliable, go with whatever works best for your use case.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The amazon link shows that the jack is designed for 1.8T or 3800lb. The curb weight of a JLUR is a little over 4400lbs. I am not sure if that jack is safe to use. not saying it will not work but unsure if it should be used.
You aren't lifting the entire Jeep with it, if you are, you have found the perfect center point and should share it for others to enjoy...

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I wonder if the jack adapter from Agile Off Road (https://agileoffroad.com/product/agile-h1-scissor-jack-axle-frame-jack-adaptor/#) would work in the tight clearance areas.
Sponsored