Sponsored

Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Whether they have a fix ready for the affected units on the road, I'm curious if they've made changes on-the-line to ones they're currently producing, or if not.

Basically I'm curious if a June build is gonna be subject to this.
How would we know for sure unless there is an official tsb or recall or announcement by FCA. If there is a component upgrade, then there should be an identifying mark or number to distinguish the old from the new.
Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Whether they have a fix ready for the affected units on the road, I'm curious if they've made changes on-the-line to ones they're currently producing, or if not.

Basically I'm curious if a June build is gonna be subject to this.
He mentioned that they believed it was a software issue.

But whatever it is, it obviously hasn't propagated to the dealer level yet. I'm guessing that they'll be issuing a TSB once the new firmware has been proven to fix the problem.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
He mentioned that they believed it was a software issue.

But whatever it is, it obviously hasn't propagated to the dealer level yet. I'm guessing that they'll be issuing a TSB once the new firmware has been proven to fix the problem.
I’m really trying to grasp how this is a software problem? Would a malfunction in the esc or erm, which applies brakes as needed, cause a steering wheel to lock as the OP describes? Would a lack of hydraulic power assist cause a steering wheel to lock? I would not think so.

Certainly hydraulic pressure applying force to both sides of the steering box piston at the same time might cause the wheel to lock. This would be a defect in the valve timing not allowing fluid to escape, which seems mechanical in nature via the torsion bar. I doubt the valves are computer controlled but who knows. If the problem is mechanical then I would expect it to be repeatable and not intermittent.

I’m intrigued.

This link does a good job of explaining how power steering works.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/214

Another poster mentioned that the JL does not have a traditional ignition based steering wheel lock after I thought that might be the culprit.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m most concerned about any delays on future builds. If I hold off for MY19, I’d like to do so first day that option is made available without any cloud of this lingering. Hopefully just growing pains and all settles quickly. :)

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Fellow Jeepers,

As a result of recommendations from this thread I contacted NHTSA and submitted my case for review. Apparently it got their attention and I received an email from a person (not automated) inquiring for more information. I also referred them this thread so if you are experiencing the problem I would vocalize it here.

As mentioned in my previous post, every time I experienced the problem it has been at higher temperatures (85-90 degrees outside) and after I've been driving a bit (> 1 hour). It definitely has something to do with temps. I have 3k miles so this should not be happening! I have an appt on Tuesday with my dealership to have it looked at and will share the results once I have them. Hoping to save someone from getting a heart attack like I almost did when I happened the first time and found myself swerving on the freeway once the steering broke loose from it's stuck position.

Sponsored

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
Fellow Jeepers,

As a result of recommendations from this thread I contacted NHTSA and submitted my case for review. Apparently it got their attention and I received an email from a person (not automated) inquiring for more information. I also referred them this thread so if you are experiencing the problem I would vocalize it here.

As mentioned in my previous post, every time I experienced the problem it has been at higher temperatures (85-90 degrees outside) and after I've been driving a bit (> 1 hour). It definitely has something to do with temps. I have 3k miles so this should not be happening! I have an appt on Tuesday with my dealership to have it looked at and will share the results once I have them. Hoping to save someone from getting a heart attack like I almost did when I happened the first time and found myself swerving on the freeway once the steering broke loose from it's stuck position.
For those of us who are either still waiting for our JL's to be built or the ones that have already taken ownership of one but have not experienced the issue (terror) you have - thank you for filing the formal safety complaint with the NHTSA!

It is essential that this be documented and run through the proper channels.

Good luck @knick33!!

Keep us posted.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Went and drove with service tech at the dealership today. I took it by myself at first for about 20 minutes. Turning out of a parking lot, it locked up. So drove back to the dealership, picked up tech, drove around for 10-15 minutes without anything happening, then it did a few more times with me driving. Tech took over driving and thank God it did it with him driving. Couldn't be happier that it was reproducible. So now over that hurdle and it's the wait and see game.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Went and drove with service tech at the dealership today. I took it by myself at first for about 20 minutes. Turning out of a parking lot, it locked up. So drove back to the dealership, picked up tech, drove around for 10-15 minutes without anything happening, then it did a few more times with me driving. Tech took over driving and thank God it did it with him driving. Couldn't be happier that it was reproducible. So now over that hurdle and it's the wait and see game.
This puzzles me. If you ( or me) say that the steering is randomly locking up, they should take your word for it. They should check whatever is to be checked. Then they say they cannot reproduce. Blah blah. Now you take the tech with you, it happens to him, how does that change anything? What are they going to do different? I know it does change things,but it shouldn’t. All they tested was that You are not a lier.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Jeep replaces our jeep and did some calibration on the software of our new Jeep before we took delivery. We put 1000 miles on it in 2 days and all is good.

Optica8

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Fellow Jeepers,

This exactly. THIS! I have been in contact with someone from Jeep and their response is they can't do anything until the dealer can reproduce, but even I can't tell when it will happen so WTF am I supposed to do, wait until I run into a tree and then say I told you so? The majority of my driving is rush hour stop and go traffic so of course it doesn't happen everyday. I live in Seattle, it still hasn't gotten hot here, but the times it's happened to me, it's been on the hottest days we have had yet. The dealer doesn't seem to care, Jeep doesn't seem to care so what now. I report the issue to the NHTSA, but now I'm stuck.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Enough reports to NHTSA can’t hurt. Might push Jeep to solve before a tragedy brings to mainstream news. Weren’t these new models fully tested? Where? The mall?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Jeep replaces our jeep and did some calibration on the software of our new Jeep before we took delivery. We put 1000 miles on it in 2 days and all is good.
Well this is interesting. So have to wonder if the problem is software related, mechanical related or both.

Would a software calibration fix your original vehicle?

SurfingJeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport (soon I hope), BMW 335xi M-Sport
Well then, definitely looking forward to Kevin8086's update. I'm not exactly optimistic, as a firmware or software update seems like an overly simplistic solution to an issue that appears to be more mechanical in nature, but holding out hope that it could be enough to warrant picking up a JL over Memorial Day Weekend.

doubletap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Well then, definitely looking forward to Kevin8086's update. I'm not exactly optimistic, as a firmware or software update seems like an overly simplistic solution to an issue that appears to be more mechanical in nature, but holding out hope that it could be enough to warrant picking up a JL over Memorial Day Weekend.
See post #234 above.
Sponsored