Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
First and most important, I am glad no one was hurt during this awful event. Fully agree that the JL clutch is subpar and its concerning that cases like this occur. Wonder how much the dual mass flywheel is a culprit.

I personally will be ordering the Centerforce DF clutch kit (steel flywheel, hydraulics etc) and have it installed on my JLUR shortly.

Back when I was younger I had a built FOX body mustang (heads, cams, exhaust, vortech supercharger etc) that I had the Centerforce DF installed behind the T-5. Fantastic clutch, close to stock pedal effort, good progressive clutch uptake and took all the abuse I dished out (powershifted the heck out of it).

I personally have no interest in any attempt by FCA to release an "improved" clutch and have it installed in my Jeep.

Good luck!
Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm sorry to hear that, everyone ok? On the one hand I'm glad I traded in my 2018 stick, but got another stick in my 2021, and I'm gonna pretend they made some mechanical or metallurgy changes unbeknown to us to insure it isn't happening to the newer models. But I think it still is in a few isolated cases. Complete BS that Jeep isn't accepting responsibility, and they shouldn't have cheaped out on this clutch!!!
If they still added the software update there still a mechanical issue, if I were you Iā€™d put in a centerforce when possible and have 100 percent peace of mind.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
If they still added the software update there still a mechanical issue, if I were you Iā€™d put in a centerforce when possible and have 100 percent peace of mind.
Thinking about it, when the budget allows, but that was supposed to go to tires and lift!!

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
"Wearable components" do fail, but they should still not fail catastrophically. "Oops can't get out of gear" is the expected failure mode here, likely preceded by several months of "getting into 3rd is difficult".

What other wearable components on an automobile result, without warning, in the destruction of the vehicle?
I had an old Volkswagen rabbit that was my fatherā€™s then my brotherā€™s then mine. Had well over 125,000 miles on that clutch. Never exploded.
This is a real sh** show

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
Interesting photos. Have you seen the friction disk? Is it worn or glazed?
No sign of the friction disk in any of the 48 photos Jess took when she crawled under her burned out jeep. Looking at the way everything separated allowing the pressure plate to fall out, I doubt if the friction disc is anywhere to be found.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pick your priorities carefully.
My priorities shouldn't have to be split between mods or my family not burning to death, is my point!!! I know the chances of it happening to any one of us is infinitesimally small but its always going to linger in the back of my head as I row the gears ya know? You guys with more, shall we say, "pliable" wives, advice on how to convince her my new jeep needs a new clutch...or trade for XR auto...when I just traded my 2018 JL 15 months ago...

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
My priorities shouldn't have to be split between mods or my family not burning to death, is my point!!! I know the chances of it happening to any one of us is infinitesimally small but its always going to linger in the back of my head as I row the gears ya know? You guys with more, shall we say, "pliable" wives, advice on how to convince her my new jeep needs a new clutch...or trade for XR auto...when I just traded my 2018 JL 15 months ago...
Canā€™t give you any advice, but as someone now thinking about this, despite the infinitesimally small likelihood of occurrence the risk outcome is hugeā€¦last night I was wondering how quickly my kids can unbuckle the 5-point harness and lap belts to get outā€¦Iā€™m thinking of the aftermarket clutch route rather than automatic.

Everything else on my ā€˜21 is solid, and Iā€™m not rolling the dice with supply chain, increased cost, and unknown gremlins in a new build.

Besides, reading about Stellantisā€™ failure to do anything about the fundamental design issue, even as recently as a ā€˜21 failing in June this year, convinced me this is the last Jeep Iā€™ll buy under their ownership. Why order an automatic JL and add to their revenue?

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canā€™t give you any advice, but as someone now thinking about this, despite the infinitesimally small likelihood of occurrence the risk outcome is hugeā€¦last night I was wondering how quickly my kids can unbuckle the 5-point harness and lap belts to get outā€¦Iā€™m thinking of the aftermarket clutch route rather than automatic.

Everything else on my ā€˜21 is solid, and Iā€™m not rolling the dice with supply chain, increased cost, and unknown gremlins in a new build.

Besides, reading about Stellantisā€™ failure to do anything about the fundamental design issue, even as recently as a ā€˜21 failing in June this year, convinced me this is the last Jeep Iā€™ll buy under their ownership. Why order an automatic JL and add to their revenue?
Yeah a bit disappointing on their part, I'm on my 3rd Wrangler, all have been pretty soild, and also have a 2012 grand cherokee as a spare vehicle, things been a tank, 145k miles and going with just routine maintenance. That said, what am I looking at $$$ wise with new clutch? Parts labor 3kish? And is centerforce the way to go or another? Also I see CF has 2 kits for the JL, which one?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah. This is maybe one of my "unpopular opinions of Jeep", their execution sucks. Somebody is going to lose a foot or burn in one of these events. Meanwhile, crickets from Jeep. One of the pix posted in this thread clearly shows where someone (read that: the dealer mechanic) used a die grinder on the surface as part of "the recall" repair. Jeep's ability to do accurate root cause investigation and implement appropriate corrective action has a terrible track record as demonstrated by this issue as well as the steering debacle.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah a bit disappointing on their part, I'm on my 3rd Wrangler, all have been pretty soild, and also have a 2012 grand cherokee as a spare vehicle, things been a tank, 145k miles and going with just routine maintenance. That said, what am I looking at $$$ wise with new clutch? Parts labor 3kish? And is centerforce the way to go or another? Also I see CF has 2 kits for the JL, which one?
I would call CF and describe your mods or intended mods and uses. I'm betting they'll steer you to the higher performance one if you start talking about big tires.

PS; I watched the videos on both. They gave the advantages of the "dual friction" over the standard full face clutch. But didn't say anything about disadvantages of the "dual friction" . My guess is that the smaller/less friction material of the "dual friction" side, will wear out quicker.

Last edited:

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would call CF and describe your mods or intended mods and uses. I'm betting they'll steer you to the higher performance one if you start talking about big tires.

PS; I watched the videos on both. They gave the advantages of the "dual friction" over the standard full face clutch. But didn't say anything about disadvantages of the "dual friction" . My guess is that the smaller/less friction material of the "dual friction" side, will wear out quicker.
Yeah I see they have a CF 1, and CF 2, and dual friction. The CF 1 seems like a beefier version that says its for OEM replacement, and would probably be perfect for me. With the stick and 3.45 gears, I cant go bigger then 33, 34 max without regear and I'm not gonna get into all that. Anyone in the know running the CF 1?

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And are all the CF clutches single flywheel, or dual like the OEM? Excuse me if I am nieve, I'm not expert on clutches and the different types...
Sponsored