Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would again and again. The 8 speed is too heavy and the powertrain loss is stupid high whem compared to the 6-speed manual.

Personally, I think the manual will be dead in the future if the go with the straight 6 motor that has been discussed here.
Hmmm. I don't know about this 8 speed ZF design, but the GM transmissions have gotten to the point the losses are very low. I think the low losses would be required with fuel economy demands.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is Jesica my niece, she is now a member and participating in this discussion. Thank you all for welcoming her so openly.
I wonder if there’s a way we could give her ownership of this thread since it’s really her story, not mine. It’s her loss, not mine. She lost not only her only vehicle but many of her most important possessions were in that Jeep.
You folks might consider installing an aftermarket clutch as part of the new jeep purchase. I know if I had to have a manual trans, I wouldn't consider driving it long with the factory clutch and flywheel. It's around $1100 from ExtremeTerrain Centerforce Jeep Wrangler ll Organic Clutch Kit with Flywheel; 21 Spline KCFT157077 (18-22 3.6L Jeep Wrangler JL) - Free Shipping (extremeterrain.com)

No idea what installation cost would be.

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
You folks might consider installing an aftermarket clutch as part of the new jeep purchase. I know if I had to have a manual trans, I wouldn't consider driving it long with the factory clutch and flywheel. It's around $1100 from ExtremeTerrain Centerforce Jeep Wrangler ll Organic Clutch Kit with Flywheel; 21 Spline KCFT157077 (18-22 3.6L Jeep Wrangler JL) - Free Shipping (extremeterrain.com)

No idea what installation cost would be.
That’s a great idea, installation would be no cost to her as I’d be more than willing to install it. Hoping to see her made whole, or even more than whole very soon.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Did you all see this? Apparently there's new revisions of the pressure plate and flywheel?
I would imagine mine is AA because I'm 2018. I suspect they updated the parts because they knew they were crap but never made an announcement.
Question is though is part AD still exploding?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did you all see this? Apparently there's new revisions of the pressure plate and flywheel?
I would imagine mine is AA because I'm 2018. I suspect they updated the parts because they knew they were crap but never made an announcement.
Did they go from a 2 disk to single disk design?

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Well I'm crossing my fingers my 2021 has the new parts in it if they swapped them. Although I believe there are still incidences of 2020-2022 models still having issues...

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
That’s a good find and I think you might be onto something. Yours and JessBiron’s Jeeps are 2018s and would be equipped with the original faulty parts. It does beg the question whether or not Stellantis quietly upgraded the pressure plate in recent years to avoid any additional attention to the problem. They have taken a beating on blog sites for the lame ass software fix and are probably just biding their time until they can axe the manual option from the lineup once and for all. It’s a sad but inevitable outcome, I think.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Is it possible to tell when this part was released and at what point this replaced the prior pressure plate and clutch kit?

rudyr89

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Wow, that's pretty damn scary. Glad to see that she and the dogs got out unharmed. I bought my 2018 this year with 28k miles on it. Is this something that affected all manuals? If so, how can I tell if mine was taken care of? According to nhtsa my vin isn't associated with any recalls.

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
It was my understanding , I had a 2018 JL stick before my 2021 stick, that all 2018-2020 models with stick were recalled, across the board. From then on they should have come from the factory with whatever changes they deemed appropriate as to avoid exploding clutches, please correct me if I'm wrong!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Is it possible to tell when this part was released and at what point this replaced the prior pressure plate and clutch kit?
I was wondering the same thing. Is there anyone working in a parts department that can tell us when this clutch appeared?
68273845AD

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering the same thing. Is there anyone working in a parts department that can tell us when this clutch appeared?
68273845AD
I would also like to know what changed. Is the part made of different materials? I wish we could compare from AA to AD

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
After reading the first few pages of the comments here its clear most of you arent familiar with what the recalls actually did. Judging from the pictures posted, the clutch slipped and over heated causing it to come apart. Im guessing the dealer missed something during the recall.....specifically the clutch health test portion of the recall.

Also the dealer didnt detune the engine. The flash update gave the pcm the logic to monitor clutch temps via a algorithm. The engine only is limited when everything in the algorithim is met. There is more to this story both from the dealer and the driver

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading the first few pages of the comments here its clear most of you arent familiar with what the recalls actually did. Judging from the pictures posted, the clutch slipped and over heated causing it to come apart. Im guessing the dealer missed something during the recall.....specifically the clutch health test portion of the recall
That’s highly likely that in Jess’ case but I am wondering if part AD is still exploding after recall.
Maybe this is something those attorneys working in the class action suit can find out.
Sponsored