2019 JLU Sport S wanting to add lockers and 37s

Lok

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'm trying to find the most cost effective and also the most convenient way to upgrade my sport s. I bought my jeep without knowing just how much I would enjoy trail riding and rockcrawling and now I regret not holding out for a Rubicon.

Alas, I'm kind of attached to my jeep now as I've added a number of cosmetic and functional upgrades. 2.5 RE lift, wheels, 35 inch tires. Talking to a local shop I've been told that going to 37s and adding lockers to my existing axles would be fine if I was not reckless with the skinny pedal but browsing these forums tells a different tell.

What would you do in my situation (trading in for a rubicon isn't an option unless it's a big cost savings)
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'm trying to find the most cost effective and also the most convenient way to upgrade my sport s. I bought my jeep without knowing just how much I would enjoy trail riding and rockcrawling and now I regret not holding out for a Rubicon.

Alas, I'm kind of attached to my jeep now as I've added a number of cosmetic and functional upgrades. 2.5 RE lift, wheels, 35 inch tires. Talking to a local shop I've been told that going to 37s and adding lockers to my existing axles would be fine if I was not reckless with the skinny pedal but browsing these forums tells a different tell.

What would you do in my situation (trading in for a rubicon isn't an option unless it's a big cost savings)
I'll let someone with more experience with your axles chime in on durability, but I assume you are regearing as well? To what ratio?

Reactions: Lok

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
One way to get away with not spending on axle swap is to stick to 35s that weigh as light as regular 33s and have a contact patch that is 315 or less (total weight per tire+wheel less around 90lb). - that's the limit you want to push the M186, with the caveat that if you jump around rough on rocks, you will break it no matter what.

37s and widths greater than 12.5 -> Axle upgrade if you want to use this off-road. Or wing it until it breaks

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My plan is to get rubicon axles, while 4.10s isn’t really what I want to be running it’s still better than the 3.45s I’ve got now. Once you factor in cost+labor whole set of axles isn’t much more. Last time I priced it out I think it was $500 more. Allmoparparts front and rear rubicon axles are about $4500 for the two of them.

I had dreams of bigger axles next year but some things came up and I had to tighten the belt on my plans.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lok

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'll let someone with more experience with your axles chime in on durability, but I assume you are regearing as well? To what ratio?
I think 3.88s are recommend

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Does your Sport have the rear LSD? If so, you have a rear D44. If not, I wouldn’t mount 37s on D35 axles.

FWIW, I find Wranglers on 35s are plenty capable on 99.9% of the trails out there; 37s are overkill IMO.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Lok

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Does your Sport have the rear LSD? If so, you have a rear D44. If not, I wouldn’t mount 37s on D35 axles.

FWIW, I find Wranglers on 35s are plenty capable on 99.9% of the trails out there; 37s are overkill IMO.

Good luck.
So should I add lockers and keep the 35s?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Years ago, a D35 axle would have been insufficient to run on 35s.

With the introduction of JL, Jeep went with a “next generation” set of axles that promised to be lighter yet stronger.

It appears to be true. Despite lots of people nowadays running on 35s, we hardly ever read of anyone breaking axles anymore. So my guess is that you should be okay.

If you can score a takeoff D44 axle, that’d be ideal.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
What kind of wheeling are you doing? Looks like you're close to Gulches. What specific issues are you having challenges with?

Also, if you stick with 35s do you want to regear regardless? Are you due for new tires anyways?

EDIT: Also, which version of the RE 2.5" and what shocks?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Depending what rock crawling you do it may be smarter to go with a winch and save the money if you don't have a M220 rear. I also have a 19 JLU with the M220 rear and 35's. I find that I can pretty much do any trail I would attempt to as this is also my daily driver. For me that means pretty much blue trails and once in awhile a blue/black. I am light on the skinny pedal and have no problem taking my time getting through a trail. I have run a few BOH trails such as crawlers ridge, crawl daddy and trail 11. I also ran Renees hill and Barney rubble at AOAA which aren't BOH trails but you can youtube them to get an idea of the type of trail. I am still on the stock 3.45 gears but I live in a state that is pretty much flat so I don't see the downfalls of the more hilly or mountainous states that may affect drivability.

F4EE4D11-A0D0-4D7E-AAD9-6968AF21FFB4.jpeg

1C2ABEFC-CA05-4D03-8C93-E80EC3511D7C.jpeg

68987CF0-4DA5-42C7-A63C-232A60215D7A.jpeg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

I am usually a proponent of keeping the stock axles for most cases. But for your situation I wouldn't. I would either trade for a rubi or get better than stock rubi axles that come already properly geared and locked.

That shop's telling you it'll be fine because they probably know of a lot of people with JLs wheeling their sports with 37s. There are, outside of the internet, and they're fine so far. I still wouldn't go that far though. 35s yeah I'd take the risk. but 37s nope.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My plan is to get rubicon axles, while 4.10s isn’t really what I want to be running it’s still better than the 3.45s I’ve got now. Once you factor in cost+labor whole set of axles isn’t much more. Last time I priced it out I think it was $500 more. Allmoparparts front and rear rubicon axles are about $4500 for the two of them.

I had dreams of bigger axles next year but some things came up and I had to tighten the belt on my plans.
last time I looked it was 5,500 without factoring in shipping which easily adds another 1,000
Sponsored