Sponsored

Dealer left oil cap off during an oil change and the Service Manager won't return calls.

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
Besides taking a dealer off the list of places you would do business with in the future, what would you do if the dealer left the oil cap off after an oil change. The entire engine compartment is coated in oil and the under-hood insulation has a nice spot directly above the oil fill tube.

I'm thinking if the Service Manager does not call back by tomorrow, call the general manager. If the General Manager does not call back, send them written notice of what I expect them to do including another oil change, a detail, and replace anything that they can't get the oil out of. If that doesn't get a response, get a quote from another dealer to fix it and take them to small claims court.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
-Take photos.
-Document every conversation you have with the dealer, including voicemails.
-Have a brief script ready when a dealer principal is on the other end of the phone. The person who isn't talking has control of a conversation. Say your piece and compel them to respond.
-Cont'd.: Try to determine if any engine damage occurred due to oil loss, so that you have that info in your back pocket, ready to go.
-Reconsider allowing Svc Dept staff to lay hands on your vehicle again. Just a thought.

Best of luck here.

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
What dealer?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I wouldn't wait to call the general manager. To what end?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I don't handle chitt like that via a telephone call.

My ass would have been back over there with me talking directly to the Service Manager.

IF I was not dealt with properly by the Service Manager, I would then walk over to the dealership's General Manager's office to talk to him.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Besides taking a dealer off the list of places you would do business with in the future, what would you do if the dealer left the oil cap off after an oil change. The entire engine compartment is coated in oil and the under-hood insulation has a nice spot directly above the oil fill tube.

I'm thinking if the Service Manager does not call back by tomorrow, call the general manager. If the General Manager does not call back, send them written notice of what I expect them to do including another oil change, a detail, and replace anything that they can't get the oil out of. If that doesn't get a response, get a quote from another dealer to fix it and take them to small claims court.
Please tell me it's not Richardson CJDR dealership!!!!! I know everyone there.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Have you called your service advisor? Did you speak to him/her? No need to go above them unless they are not being responsive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't be calling, my ass would have been in their service dept trying to get face time and then raising hell if they ignored me.
Wanted to give the Service Manager a chance to catch up. You never know what is going on. This is my son dealing with his Renegade. The Service Manager called him back this afternoon and agreed to detail it.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you called your service advisor? Did you speak to him/her? No need to go above them unless they are not being responsive.
I told my son to call the service manager. There is no excuse for a dealer to turn over a vehicle in that condition. I could hear him coming down the street. I thought someone stole his catalytic converter.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't handle chitt like that via a telephone call.

My ass would have been back over there with me talking directly to the Service Manager.

IF I was not dealt with properly by the Service Manager, I would then walk over to the dealership's General Manager's office to talk to him.
Bad dealers just play games. I don't waste my time standing in a dealer lobby waiting on a manager. My time is too valuable for that. But if I did want to throw a fit in front of customers, it would not be on a Monday. :)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase