Hard top wind noise

MelindaJL

First Name
Melinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I just drove all 3 models of the JLU Wranglers on city streets and mountain driving here in Denver.

When in the mountains at 65 mph and some cross wind, I had quite a bit of wind noise. Sounded like it was coming from the top of the windshield/hardtop seal.

The Sport S was the loudest, while the Sahara and the Rubicon were only somewhat quieter. None had the top liner installed, which I think is odd since CO temps vary from -30 to 100 deg. F during the year from the high plains to the mountains. I know, I've lived here for over 26 years.

You lucky few who are driving your own ( I'm waiting for the 2 dr ), what is your experience?
I have had serious issues with the wind noise on my JLSport. I took it to my Jeep dealer. Apparently it struck a cord with the home office, because they were on conference call. They wanted to try a new seal. The seal was ordered. Took them 5 hours to install. And the noise is still there! My dealership says they don't know what to do. I'm hearing that Jeep is aware, they have to be. Does anyone know what the fix is?
Sponsored

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I have had serious issues with the wind noise on my JLSport. I took it to my Jeep dealer. Apparently it struck a cord with the home office, because they were on conference call. They wanted to try a new seal. The seal was ordered. Took them 5 hours to install. And the noise is still there! My dealership says they don't know what to do. I'm hearing that Jeep is aware, they have to be. Does anyone know what the fix is?
Have you taken off the freedom panels? I'm curious that my issue seemed to start after I did and pretty sure I put them back on in the wrong order. Wondering if that played a role.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Have you sent a private message to @JeepCares with your name, contact, VIN, and dealership info yet? That is the first thing I would do. @JeepCares has been tracking the issues and providing information directly to dealerships.

Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is so frustrating
Even after you were able to show them exactly where the problem is with your tape job they still couldn’t fix it?! I just cannot imagine how FCA is having issues with the JL after their claim of “extensive and thorough testing over multiple years”. I used to be a MOPAR guy but I’ve lost almost all confidence since Fiat got their hands on them!

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yeah my JLU Rubi with hard top is fairly noisy. I don't really have any other "jeep" to compare it to as I came from a Grand Cherokee and I have an 87 JY with no top.... with that said I was just in a loaner '16 JK 2-door with a hard top for a week, and it was noticeably quieter.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I have the 2018 Rubicon JL hard top with the liners and it helps alot, I also had to adjust and tightend all bolts now I'm happy.

pejizzzy

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Pending!
Occupation
Insurance Agent, Dad, Husband
Just got my jlu sport s yesterday, I test drove others before ordering this one (I wanted the safety package), didn’t think I needed to test this one when it arrived. Drivers side whistling from 27mph and up, after about 50-60mph regular Jeep hard top noise takes over, I can deal with that.

I obsessed over it all of yesterday, reading all these posts and trying the windshield idea as mine wasn’t even on drivers side. That didn’t work as when I tightened the bolts it would just go to same point, I used a small spacer on windshield bolt by drivers door to see if that worked, it did not. My issue isn’t on the top or hard top area it’s on the driver door jam. I used painters tape and taped up my drivers door, squeezed in thru the pass door and test drove it. No noise! So my issue is the weather stripping on the drivers door. I used some weather stripping I had laying around and it fixed my issue. I still plan to take it back Monday to have them hopefully put on a new piece or a thicker piece but I wanted to share my story Incase it helps. Thanks folks!

View attachment 46631

image.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just got my jlu sport s yesterday, I test drove others before ordering this one (I wanted the safety package), didn’t think I needed to test this one when it arrived. Drivers side whistling from 27mph and up, after about 50-60mph regular Jeep hard top noise takes over, I can deal with that.

I obsessed over it all of yesterday, reading all these posts and trying the windshield idea as mine wasn’t even on drivers side. That didn’t work as when I tightened the bolts it would just go to same point, I used a small spacer on windshield bolt by drivers door to see if that worked, it did not. My issue isn’t on the top or hard top area it’s on the driver door jam. I used painters tape and taped up my drivers door, squeezed in thru the pass door and test drove it. No noise! So my issue is the weather stripping on the drivers door. I used some weather stripping I had laying around and it fixed my issue. I still plan to take it back Monday to have them hopefully put on a new piece or a thicker piece but I wanted to share my story Incase it helps. Thanks folks!

View attachment 46631

image.jpg
I am sorry but you sir do not exist. Nobody does their own simple investigation to assist a dealer in diagnosing the issue where as they drive it ALL THE TIME and can figure it out quicker!

Please stop giving everyone else a bad name by taking things into your own hands to get a simple fix done without raging over the money spent blah blah blah bullshit!

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, anyone having any water leak issues? I assume if the wind noise is caused by the weather stripping that water could be forced through also?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I temporarily fixed my wind noise. I never had the whistle but I did have roaring air sound above 40mph. I think the issue is from the air flowing up the narrow channel shown below in the pic with the arrow. I fixed it by inserting a rubber tube into the gap between the cowl and the A pillar until they hopefully come up with a better solution. It’s quiet now and I’m happy!!

B4112D3A-4FDB-47F4-A5B3-36F3EFBAC56B.jpeg

6DC6BB3B-CFD1-40FD-9639-6DEAFA2BEC28.jpeg

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Ok, can you tell what they did. I mean it appears as though you isolated the issue..........WTF? I refuse to take mine back and forth to the dealer until I learn, via the forum, what the fix is. Until then I'm doing my own investigation through trial and error. Going to tape the drivers door seal next..

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, can you tell what they did. I mean it appears as though you isolated the issue..........WTF? I refuse to take mine back and forth to the dealer until I learn, via the forum, what the fix is. Until then I'm doing my own investigation through trial and error. Going to tape the drivers door seal next..
They "moved the door in"...and moved the whistle source...back to the drawing board
Sponsored