Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The next chapter in Jeepeto III has begun, and we’re moving to the dark side (overlanding). I just don’t have enough good wheeling within weekend range from my location (DFW, TX) to justify keeping Jeepeto strictly a wheeler.

The plan going forward is to start exploring within a 5 hour radius of home on the weekends. I will of course still wheel when the opportunity presents itself. I’m just at a point where I’ve pushed my luck enough on big trails and I’m no longer moving up the trail list. I find myself just running the same 5-6 trails in moab every visit, usually with someone new, and it’s starting to feel like I’m a volunteer trail guide. I want to explore more of Moab, some of the lesser trails that I haven’t seen, and regain that magic I felt the first visit there.

Drilled 12 holes in the hard top this morning to install the Rhino Rack Backbone system in preparation for the Go Fast Camper Platform RTT. I plan on directly copying @justinbmcbride and using the GP Factor JLU Feet to mount the tent directly to the Rhino Rack Backbone without any rack. This is the cleanest install I’ve seen for a RTT and I’m hoping it works as well on my rig 🤞

Photos from this morning

Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper 5DBA3D02-DFD2-4CB5-90A7-33F46ACB6F85
Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper 058E9EA4-ADD8-47B3-BD45-B7D4692265F2
Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper 8873E323-907F-4A27-A81A-4FEA329DEA5E

Screen shots from @justinbmcbride video on YouTube showing the planned mounting solution. Ignore the yellow arrow.

Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper 41D7EFDE-0C6D-47A0-8157-8064F28E86DF
Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper 559B473A-AF76-436B-A84A-F85479CF140F

I’m stoked for the GFC tent to arrive, and I’m excited to start the next chapter. Feel free to crucify me in the comments below 🤣
Sponsored

Last edited:

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Drilling through the hardtop is fun, ain’t it? 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You should get this book if you haven’t already…

Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper BFFF79E9-28D6-401E-A9EC-D27B34372742
Great suggestion! It’s my go to, although it looks like I may be a generation behind now 🤣

image.jpg

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Drilling through the hardtop is fun, ain’t it? 😂
Man that kit is super nice, everything laid out with stop blocks and no stupid paper template or anything. Just put the stop blocks in place and you know you’re good to go. I wasn’t sweating it at all. The worst part was dealing with itchy fiberglass.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Great suggestion! It’s my go to, although it looks like I may be a generation behind now 🤣

Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper image
Yeah my wife found it. I was going to get the one you have. She said the Fourth Edition came out earlier this year.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You’re a braver man than me. I couldn’t bring myself to drill into the roof, so I paid someone to install my rack and left the general vicinity while the deed was done.
I definitely understand the hesitation, however that kit was very well put together and eased any hesitation I had about drilling holes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yeah my wife found it. I was going to get the one you have. She said the Fourth Edition came out earlier this year.
It’s probably about time, some of the ratings have definitely changed in the last couple years. Lots of erosion that has made ledges bigger and exposed rocks in what used to be sandy washes.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
It’s probably about time, some of the ratings have definitely changed in the last couple years. Lots of erosion that has made ledges bigger and exposed rocks in what used to be sandy washes.
It has spiral binding now so it lays flat and has a place holder flap.

95859EA9-BDEF-419E-9CBC-5CC7771B7A18.jpeg

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

If your radius is 5 hours from DFW there is definitely some good wheeling! Moved here about a year ago now and found I have to drive ~4 hours every time I want to do something. No big deal, but it does limit me to only hitting the trails about once a month.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

And here I was second guessing getting Hothead Headliners because I'd have to sand the inside of the hardtop. 🤣
Rip off that bandaid man. Nobody will ever see the sanded area once the headliner is in. I went through the trouble of taking the rack back out after everything was drilled and in place to trim the liner so it would fit behind the Rhino Rack as well. Every bit helps to reduce wind noise and keep the interior cool

489AE832-6858-4D0F-8AA0-E5CADB43D322.jpeg

6438CA82-CDE8-491D-99B2-282B68E3456F.jpeg

CFB42987-0591-457A-8C98-583B0B2FC089.jpeg

8630BB9D-E85F-45B4-98D8-020FD786A284.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If your radius is 5 hours from DFW there is definitely some good wheeling! Moved here about a year ago now and found I have to drive ~4 hours every time I want to do something. No big deal, but it does limit me to only hitting the trails about once a month.
I wasn’t very clear, I know there’s good trails within 5 hours, and I’m planning on checking them out. I’m just planning chasing more scenic trail and less “OHV rock crawling”. I found that the OHV trails around here were not worth the squeeze in this area. They’re crowded, and trashed by SXS traffic. I was risking my rig to get through a trail so I could end up back in the parking lot where I started, there was no pot of gold at the end of the trail, and that left me feeling like I wanted more.

Have you checked out that park up in Palo Duro? I do want to make it up there, they limit traffic to street legal rigs and have pretty scenic views.
Sponsored