OP
OP

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
What a wild year I've had.

Decided to sell my trusty rav 4 to order the perfect wrangler.

Waited 3 months, relied only on a short range EV to get me around town.

Got my jeep. Drove it to the mountains once and broke it.

Fixed it, broke it, fixed again (not really) aaaaand sold it for a profit.

The saga ends here. The CEL didn't return while I drove it around to get it appraised, but as it warmed up, the idle got rough again. Shaking the living shit out of it while stopped.

Thankfully I got a buyer. Someone else's problem now.

It was a great ROI for two months of ownership. Wasn't really worth the headache, lost PTO, etc. But whatever.

Wish you guys the best of luck with your cars, but my journey here is done. Thank God for covid car prices.
Sponsored

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Thatā€™s unreal!!! What a pain in the ass!! Iā€™m glad you were able to get out of it! God Bless, take care brother!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
And the cycle repeats. Just one motivated tech could have saved several people a world of hurt here.

OP
OP

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
And the cycle repeats. Just one motivated tech could have saved several people a world of hurt here.
You're probably right. My hands were tied when it came to the service department. I mentioned the potential issues others have shared, but they were convinced it was an o2 sensor. The second time it was in the shop, they had it for a week. Plenty of time to diagnose the real issue. Really a shame.

@slowcrawlerZJ I really hope they get you taken care of. Your situation is horrible.

I'm glad I was able to walk away quickly with some extra cash. I really need something I can depend on, this car was on its way to a lemon law buyback... Took a win financially, but I've wanted a wrangler since I was a kid and it hurts me to give up on it. I just can't keep wasting time on it :( I'll probably get another one some day, but not a jl...

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
You're probably right. My hands were tied when it came to the service department. I mentioned the potential issues others have shared, but they were convinced it was an o2 sensor. The second time it was in the shop, they had it for a week. Plenty of time to diagnose the real issue. Really a shame.

@slowcrawlerZJ I really hope they get you taken care of. Your situation is horrible.

I'm glad I was able to walk away quickly with some extra cash. I really need something I can depend on, this car was on its way to a lemon law buyback... Took a win financially, but I've wanted a wrangler since I was a kid and it hurts me to give up on it. I just can't keep wasting time on it :( I'll probably get another one some day, but not a jl...
Thatā€™s not a reasonable conclusion to draw. Luck isnā€™t a real thing. The JL is far and away the best wrangler ever built.

Your hands werenā€™t tied at all. You could have sent it to a different dealer. You could have had an independent shop work on it. You just went the route that was the best financially, which is fine.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy

Iā€™m glad you were able to find a resolution that worked. Iā€™ve owned and wrenched on Jeeps for 32 years. Iā€™ve built mild to wild models from CJs, YJs, TJs, KJs, XJs, WJs, and ZJs. All my Jeeps have had anywhere from 100k to 250k on their drive trains without issues, without ever going to the service department. They were built a lot better then and 100X more maintenance friendly (example changing plugs on a 3.6 and no plastic parts to fail). The concept LESS=MORE is true. Iā€™d say if you want a Jeep with some creature comforts thats not overboard and a great reliable drivetrain without the issues find a TJ or LJ Wrangler. So my friend when you are on the hunt for another Jeep if not a TJ but a newer model by then hopefully engineers, quality control and manufacturers will get their shit together and bring back reliably. Take care!!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Iā€™m glad you were able to find a resolution that worked. Iā€™ve owned and wrenched on Jeeps for 32 years. Iā€™ve built mild to wild models from CJs, YJs, TJs, KJs, XJs, WJs, and ZJs. All my Jeeps have had anywhere from 100k to 250k on their drive trains without issues, without ever going to the service department. They were built a lot better then and 100X more maintenance friendly (example changing plugs on a 3.6 and no plastic parts to fail). The concept LESS=MORE is true. Iā€™d say if you want a Jeep with some creature comforts thats not overboard and a great reliable drivetrain without the issues find a TJ or LJ Wrangler. So my friend when you are on the hunt for another Jeep if not a TJ but a newer model by then hopefully engineers, quality control and manufacturers will get their shit together and bring back reliably. Take care!!
This old idea of TJā€™s being more reliable is insane. My TJ spent about as much time on the side of the road and on the back of a wrecker as it did being driven. We see the same issues or worse with the TJā€™s and JKā€™s every day. One personā€™s negative experience out of thousands is and anecdote, not data.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
This old idea of TJā€™s being more reliable is insane. My TJ spent about as much time on the side of the road and on the back of a wrecker as it did being driven. We see the same issues or worse with the TJā€™s and JKā€™s every day. One personā€™s negative experience out of thousands is and anecdote, not data.
When comparing wranglers I could also say my current CJ and last YJ are/were more reliable as well, simplistic built Jeeps and simplistic trail repairs.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
When comparing wranglers I could also say my current CJ and last YJ are/were more reliable as well, simplistic built Jeeps and simplistic trail repairs.
That would be true. Much smaller, easier to work with, common out available parts. Horrible road vehicles.

Sponsored

wrc

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Hello good people. Got a great problem with my brand new car. Just arrived to my hotel (4 hr road trip) and the car begins to shake violently in the parking lot. CEL comes on blinking, no funny noises, no stalling etc. Turn the car off, check oil level, looks good, press all the relays/fuses, all is fine. Go for another drive to pickup the food that we had ordered, same problem. Top off the gas tank, check oil again... CEL is back on and a fault message saying the auto on/off won't work.

First vacation since last October, so I'm stoked to limp to the nearest dealer 15miles away. A normal Friday and I'd be annoyed, but an issue like this on a road trip is not cool

Any ideas? If not, wish me luck.

20220722_210829.jpg
Mine made it to 600 miles before similar symtoms began. 2022 JL 2dr. 3,6,auto. @Jeep cares, is this widespread? Is there a solution that dealerships are aware of? My dealership also has no rental cars. I'll keep you updated.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine made it to 600 miles before similar symtoms began. 2022 JL 2dr. 3,6,auto. @Jeep cares, is this widespread? Is there a solution that dealerships are aware of? My dealership also has no rental cars. I'll keep you updated.
Hi there. If you need support while working with your dealership, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored