Sponsored

What wheel locks you using?

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Those look great. They might be too wide for my wheels. They have what looks like an equivalent with a smaller diameter (link below).

There's a thread on here comparing some of the different diameter lugs and I'll post some pics there once I oder in case it helps anyone.

Thanks for posting.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Auto...ure+lugs+jeep+jl+14x1.5,automotive,58&sr=1-27
Sponsored

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
If i got the 24 piece set splined lugs, will the service department charge me 2x the labor rate for tire rotations?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
If i got the 24 piece set splined lugs, will the service department charge me 2x the labor rate for tire rotations?
They shouldn’t. There’s no difference using a spline socket vs 6 point socket.

And if they do try and charge more, then take your money and run!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MidwestJeeper

You should see no difference in labor rates.

Your concern with any brand, splined lugs is a shop worker using air /power tools in conjunction with the socket to do your rotation/tire wheel work.

Gorilla 96644BDX Wheel Locking System lug nuts for example have veneers. You use a power tool with the Gorilla provided removal socket and you risk veneer separation/damage. Of course, chances of lug nut finish damage in general is another concern.

Best best for a guy/gal with Gorilla 96644BDX Wheel Locking System lug nuts is to do their own tire rotations and to with care, use hand tools doing so.

IF you don't do the rotation yourself, have a tire shop do the rotation and have them do the deed with hand tools only. They will do, but will probably charge you a few more $.

I also pre-tip the tire guy/tech a few $ before he does the deed and ask him to go easy when he without power tools does your rotation.

For guys/gals with you can call .. Ph. 325-585-2852 . Gorilla Customer Service and get replacement lugs if you sheer off a veneer, etc.. Gorilla Customer Service is very good. They may do you a solid once and send you a replacement lug at their expense.. Oh, you can order a second or replacement keyed socket or additional matching lugs from them also.

Gorilla 96644BDX Wheel Locking System lug nut
Jeep Wrangler JL What wheel locks you using? vvv.JPG

Last edited:

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
I appreciate your responses @JasonInDLH and @Rhinebeck01 .

I don't plan on doing tire rotations myself, so the dealer or a tireshop will have to do it for me.

The takeaway here is - instead of using their 22mm hex socket to remove stock lugs, they are going to be using the socket I provide for the Gorilla splined lugs?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I appreciate your responses @JasonInDLH and @Rhinebeck01 .

I don't plan on doing tire rotations myself, so the dealer or a tireshop will have to do it for me.

The takeaway here is - instead of using their 22mm hex socket to remove stock lugs, they are going to be using the socket I provide for the Gorilla splined lugs?
@MidwestJeeper

The tire guy/gal has to use both .....

He/she will use a Gorilla wheel lock key, keyed to match your splined lug nuts to get the splined lugs on and off.

The Tech will take his own socket and it is used in conjunction with the keyed Gorilla wheel lock key, use the combo to remove the Gorilla keyed/splined lug nuts.

Jeep Wrangler JL What wheel locks you using?

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You can request that they don't use an impact on your wheels, some shops will comply, some won't but it's worth it to at least ask. I never let a shop install/remove wheels on my vehicles unless it's an emergency repair. Too many problems w/ rogue impacts, over torquing, etc.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I see this is a little older thread, but I will be going on the road next year and wanted to get some locking lug nuts. I know nothing is perfect but I figured some deterrent is better than nothing.

I think black would look better with the Willys black wheels but scratches and rusting is a concern. From reading on here and shopping a little bit seems like gorilla seems popular.

Still unsure though. Has anyone found a good black chrome locking set of lug nuts? Chrome, even black chrome shouldn't scratch as easily.

Thanks

Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I have spline lug nuts and locking lug nuts as well. I don't remember the brands. The manufacturer "key numbers" are in my garage. I would hope having these would deter a thief. When I had a spare on the back, I had 3 different brands/size locking lug nuts.
Sponsored