Lift vs spacer on rubicon.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
+1 for AEV spacer lift. I have a Sport but with rubicon axles and high fenders its equivalent to Rubicon suspension wise. Did not want to do a lift, but 315 KO2's were hitting fender liners with Rubicon springs. Did not have time for a proper lift before a trip so got 2" AEV spacer lift. So can confirm that shocks are a limiting factor for flex, otherwise it was perfect.

A28CCF20-3B24-45C3-83E2-25E8F595E2EE.jpeg
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
+1 for AEV spacer lift. I have a Sport but with rubicon axles and high fenders its equivalent to Rubicon suspension wise. Did not want to do a lift, but 315 KO2's were hitting fender liners with Rubicon springs. Did not have time for a proper lift before a trip so got 2" AEV spacer lift. So can confirm that shocks are a limiting factor for flex, otherwise it was perfect.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift vs spacer on rubicon. A28CCF20-3B24-45C3-83E2-25E8F595E2EE
Just to clarify, normally bump stop is what is going to limit uptravel and shock extension length down travel (for good reason, you don't want to use your shocks as bump stops).

As such, bump extension is what will gain you fender clearance at stuff, but will directly reduce uptravel, and therefore overall articulation if you don't modify your shocks.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify, normally bump stop is what is going to limit uptravel and shock extension length down travel (for good reason, you don't want to use your shocks as bump stops).

As such, bump extension is what will gain you fender clearance at stuff, but will directly reduce uptravel, and therefore overall articulation if you don't modify your shocks.
Yes. You are correct. AEV kit comes with 2” bump stops and shock extensions.

There’sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Although I plan to keep the stock size tires on my 21 Rubicon, I installed 1 inch spacer in the rear and 1.75 in front. I did this after installing steel bumpers and winch. My goal was to level the Jeep and get it slightly higher than stock height. I don't rock crawl much but haven't had any issues with it.
What brand spacers? Still good with your selection? Im in same boat and want things to be leveled out but not interested in doing a lift at this time. Thanks

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This. I was able to get as much flex on my stock rubi suspension as any lift out there that doesn't add other components meant to improve articulation due to control arms/driveshaft limitations. All I did was add longer shocks to my Jeep, I didn't even add spacers as my tires fit just fine.

In fact. My Jeep flexes more than the Mopar lift.

There are benefits to getting a good quality small coil lift vs. 2inch spacers. These are usually related to improving ride quality and load bearing from stock. Increased articulation comes with longer shocks regardless of spacers or coils.

OP, do keep in mind, I am at Rubicon height (no spacers) and running longer lower control arms for good caster. Whatever you end up doing, if you go 2inch over rubi height you should replace other suspension components to keep proper geometry. At this point, you might as well buy a full good quality lift kit that comes with coils anyway imo. And you will get over 2inch lift with the added benefit of better coils.

imo, spacers are great for anyone trying to dial in their suspension. such as, adding 1/2inch to the front to support winch, adding an extra inch overwall to make sure shocks ride at the right height, adding an inch or so to get that little extra bump to fit 35s comfortably, etc....

On a 2 door rubi a 1inch spacer lift to fit 35s is good enough since belly clearance is not much of an issue and keeping a lower center of gravity is beneficial. The 4 door has a much longer wheelbase, better stability, and can benefit from getting more than 2 inches of lift to raise the belly higher.
Mostly true. You can only get so much down-travel with factory/linear coils before the springs unseat. Dual/triple rate coils allow much more down-travel (assuming your shocks allow for said travel). Everything else I agree with.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Mostly true. You can only get so much down-travel with factory/linear coils before the springs unseat. Dual/triple rate coils allow much more down-travel (assuming your shocks allow for said travel). Everything else I agree with.
My shocks extend to about 27 inches. They are designed for 2~3inch Rubicon lift kits. I cycled my suspension with my bilstein shocks and the springs still have more to go. I've also maxed my flex plenty times offroad and I am good. This is what most small 2inch lift kits give you. It is a bit more than what the mopar 2inch lift shocks give or the fox 2.0.

If you wanna get more flex then you probably have to replace other suspension components anyway, at which point it is better to buy a high quality liftkit like MC or RK imo.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My shocks extend to about 27 inches. They are designed for 2~3inch Rubicon lift kits. I cycled my suspension with my bilstein shocks and the springs still have more to go. I've also maxed my flex plenty times offroad and I am good. This is what most small 2inch lift kits give you. It is a bit more than what the mopar 2inch lift shocks give or the fox 2.0.

If you wanna get more flex then you probably have to replace other suspension components anyway, at which point it is better to buy a high quality liftkit like MC or RK imo.
Agreed, 27 inches is still pretty short though. I’m not arguing with you though, if you have shocks that extend beyond that you likely have a lift designed to maximize articulation.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Agreed, 27 inches is still pretty short though. I’m not arguing with you though, if you have shocks that extend beyond that you likely have a lift designed to maximize articulation.
Yeah it just gives that little extra travel with stock components. Where as the stock rubi shocks get under 24 inches extended length. It makes a big difference on the trail vs. the stock red shocks. It is good to run most mainstream moderate to moderately difficult trails. People getting these small lift kits to fit 35s are getting about the same travel and sometimes even less.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah it just gives that little extra travel with stock components. Where as the stock rubi shocks get under 24 inches extended length. It makes a big difference on the trail vs. the stock red shocks. It is good to run most mainstream moderate to moderately difficult trails. People getting these small lift kits to fit 35s are getting about the same travel and sometimes even less.
Oh for sure. Most people don’t understand that their shocks are likely the most limiting factor to travel.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

A28CCF20-3B24-45C3-83E2-25E8F595E2EE.jpeg
And Rubicon sticker (hood?) too. Just need the transfer case and it'll pretty much be a Rubicon.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And Rubicon sticker (hood?) too. Just need the transfer case and it'll pretty much be a Rubicon.
It says Sporticon. Should be more visible here. I’m proud of my base Sport with crank windows :) Transfer case is in the future. But first proper 2“ lift with Fox 2.5 shocks.

25DA22B2-767D-4F7C-AA7F-F02546DD330D.jpeg

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
What brand spacers? Still good with your selection? Im in same boat and want things to be leveled out but not interested in doing a lift at this time. Thanks
I used Rubicon Express 1.75 in, RE1325, for the front. They were ordered from 4WD Parts. On the rear I used TreaFlex 1 in spacers and stacked 2 per side. I wasn't sure about stacking them so I called TeraFlex and they said they were designed to be stacked. I had to order them direct from TeraFlex because there was kind of problem and 4WD couldn't get them. I'm still happy with the set up and haven't had any problems. I probably have 15k miles since installation on interstate, dirt roads, and mild off roading.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I’m running 35’s with a simple 3/4” spacer lift. Any more lift and I would have changed shocks too

Jeep Wrangler JL Lift vs spacer on rubicon. 25DA22B2-767D-4F7C-AA7F-F02546DD330D
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift vs spacer on rubicon. 25DA22B2-767D-4F7C-AA7F-F02546DD330D
This is exactly the setup I’m looking for on my 2-door. Keeps a low center of gravity but gives a little more clearance for the rubber. Any issues at all? Would you keep the stock shocks if you had to do it over again?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It’s not that spacers won’t get it done, it’s that you need to still invest in additional parts to make your Jeep drive properly ON THE STREET. All the people saying if you’re not gonna wheel it hard spacers are all you need don’t really understand suspension geometry. Caster is the number 1 most important factor to keep in check when lifting a JL. The rubicons come with too low of caster from the factory, add some spacers and the caster gets woefully low. The only real issue with spacers over springs is the possibility of unseating your springs at full droop. When you add longer shocks you’ll be able to droop far enough for the springs to be loose. My issue with spacer lifts is that by the time you add lower control arms, sway bar links/disconnects, bump stop extensions, shocks, and track bars you likely could have bought yourself a decent complete lift that includes all of those things. Springs are cheap, it’s everything else that adds up quickly.
And if the spacer kit includes lower control arms, sway bar links, bump stock extensions, shock extensions, and is only lacking a track bar and costs only 330 regularly and can be found for less than 300 occasionally does your opinion change?

Daystar 2.0" Jeep Jl Front and Rear Lift Kit https://a.co/d/go1TY0D
Screenshot_20220806-070956_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It's not the greatest kit out there, but it has definitely been a great way to let me do more and replace parts a little bit at a time. I've since found used Mopar lift shocks for 250 that I replaced the stock + extensions with. And I added a Rock Krawler track bar, and and some Rock Krawler Flex lower control arms. Trimmed the flares with the AAL kit and my 38s don't rub under full compression. Sure I'm losing some articulation under droop, but it's acceptable.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
And if the spacer kit includes lower control arms, sway bar links, bump stock extensions, shock extensions, and is only lacking a track bar and costs only 330 regularly and can be found for less than 300 occasionally does your opinion change?

Daystar 2.0" Jeep Jl Front and Rear Lift Kit https://a.co/d/go1TY0D
Jeep Wrangler JL Lift vs spacer on rubicon. Screenshot_20220806-070956_Amazon Shoppin

It's not the greatest kit out there, but it has definitely been a great way to let me do more and replace parts a little bit at a time. I've since found used Mopar lift shocks for 250 that I replaced the stock + extensions with. And I added a Rock Krawler track bar, and and some Rock Krawler Flex lower control arms. Trimmed the flares with the AAL kit and my 38s don't rub under full compression. Sure I'm losing some articulation under droop, but it's acceptable.
My $.02…..for me…. It’s not about the spacers themselves, or the kits…. They’re all pretty much the same concept, some more complete than others…. My issue is with the factory soft ass springs. I don’t like them, so that’s why I’ll always do coil lift… nothing at all to do with what it’s capable of and whatnot… Some like the mushy ass spring feel, and that’s great, but it’s not for me….
Sponsored