Sponsored

Would you walk away from your order, or wait?

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
Gupton ain't the sure thing either. Tried to order one from them never get a real confirm answer when my vehicle will be delivered. No thanks to all the gupton fanboys!
How do you expect a delivery date, when they haven't even produced the first 2023?
Sponsored

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
That's something I don't like about ordering a vehicle. U never know what may happens to the order due to dealers stupidity or factory stupidity.

I rather buy one off the lot where I can see what I buy. I get to enjoy the new vehicle right away without waiting months or years for it.... Perhaps I could even be dead before I could received the newly ordered vehicle!
I'd rather take the bus than pay MSRP.

During normal times ordering a vehicle was actually a pretty rewarding process. 6 weeks from order to delivery and you get exactly what you want. Back in the day...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
During normal times ordering a vehicle was actually a pretty rewarding process. 6 weeks from order to delivery and you get exactly what you want.

Back in the day...
I received my 2021 JLU exactly 8 weeks after signing the order ppwrk and tendering a $500.00 deposit (Sept - Oct 2020.) All things considered, I still view that as a very fortunate outcome.

More to the point, I hadn't envisioned that the purchase process -- i.e., parts availability and especially customer wait times -- would devolve to be as bad as it seems to be right now, two years later.

Back in the day, indeed.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
I received my 2021 JLU exactly 8 weeks after signing the order ppwrk and tendering a $500.00 deposit (Sept - Oct 2020.) All things considered, I still view that as a very fortunate outcome.

More to the point, I hadn't envisioned that the purchase process -- i.e., parts availability and especially customer wait times -- would devolve to be as bad as it seems to be right now, two years later.

Back in the day, indeed.
my 2021 order last year was 4.5 weeks total and 3.5 of that was shipping. I'm curious to see how quickly my 2023 order shows up after they start building them. here's hoping for a new Jeep sometime in September.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram

Back in the day, indeed.
Sheiite, that's not bad at all. It was about 4 months for our order placed in February. Yeah, that time frame may not have reared it's ugly head yet. Some people need everything right now. I have always been able to wait in exchange for a good deal. Probably helped that I grew up on an island where the only thing quickly available was rum, hah.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That's something I don't like about ordering a vehicle. U never know what may happens to the order due to dealers stupidity or factory stupidity.

I rather buy one off the lot where I can see what I buy. I get to enjoy the new vehicle right away without waiting months or years for it.... Perhaps I could even be dead before I could received the newly ordered vehicle!
There's tradeoffs for either approach.

So far there has been a total of two (2) Wranglers built like mine for 2022. That's before I added a crapload of AEV stuff to it. The likelihood of me getting exactly what I wanted off the lot would have been extremely close to zero.

I also got an incredible deal on it.

But, of course, I had to wait. No immediate gratification.

Tradeoffs.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Gupton ain't the sure thing either. Tried to order one from them never get a real confirm answer when my vehicle will be delivered. No thanks to all the gupton fanboys!
You expect a dealership to confirm a delivery date when you order?????

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Everything is a risk, just depends on your situation.

I paid $46K for a $53K vehicle when I ordered mine. Arrived in ~8 weeks. Yes, those eight weeks absolutely sucked and were miserable. No doubts.

But having *exactly* the vehicle I wanted AND an extra ~$7k in my pocket? Total no brainer, IMO.

I can't imagine spending $50k+ for a vehicle that's "close enough" just because I'm impatient.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Definitely more of a fan of ordering to get exactly what you want. That said, not everything I want is of equal importance. If there was a Jeep on a lot somewhere that had everything except the Convenience group, for example, I think I'd take it now.

OP
OP

falf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Everything is a risk, just depends on your situation.

I paid $46K for a $53K vehicle when I ordered mine. Arrived in ~8 weeks. Yes, those eight weeks absolutely sucked and were miserable. No doubts.

But having *exactly* the vehicle I wanted AND an extra ~$7k in my pocket? Total no brainer, IMO.

I can't imagine spending $50k+ for a vehicle that's "close enough" just because I'm impatient.
I'm 3 months in now... and probably looking at another 3 before it gets here at this point.

I have a hunt coming up in October and sold the side X side, hoping the jeep would be here by then (ordering in early May).

Is it the end of the world not having a jeep by then? No... But doubled with the frustration of my order getting bumped because the dealership messed up AND them not honoring the original price... it was almost enough to convince me to pay the extra 6,000 to have it now.

I think I've finally decided to stick with the original order tho... not sure I'm willing to reorder and have to start all the way over. Aaaaand as much as my heart wants it now, my wallet is screaming louder.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I'm 3 months in now... and probably looking at another 3 before it gets here at this point.

I have a hunt coming up in October and sold the side X side, hoping the jeep would be here by then (ordering in early May).

Is it the end of the world not having a jeep by then? No... But doubled with the frustration of my order getting bumped because the dealership messed up AND them not honoring the original price... it was almost enough to convince me to pay the extra 6,000 to have it now.

I think I've finally decided to stick with the original order tho... not sure I'm willing to reorder and have to start all the way over. Aaaaand as much as my heart wants it now, my wallet is screaming louder.
Awful expensive hunt!! Just rent one for the hunt. My first order, with deposit, was sold to a higher offer when they got it. Claimed there was a “glitch” in the system and they didn’t get the allocation. Not verified but clearly obvious due to timing. Your dealer appears to either be shady also, or incompetent. Bad sign either way! You can likely do better, just have to not be in an I need it now frame of mine. 🤔

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I was talking about ordering 2022 months ago. Did I say 2023???

Enough of gupton fan boy club already. They are not God
They aren't god. But they are super simple to deal with.

Click on the email. Leave a deposit. They order the Jeep. You get a VIN and VON within a few days.

I sold cars when I was younger. They won't give you a date because they would lying to you. If you want to buy from a dealer that will give you a date then you are buying from someone who will lie.

This forum knows lead times better than most dealers because our sample size is larger.

If you won't order unless you have a delivery date, then oh well. Go pay MSRP.

You can throw the FANBOY around all you want. But its very simple. They do what they say they are going to do. They don't lie to you. And everything is full disclosure. Even if that means saying "we can't give you a solid estimate".

Take57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sport S
I think OP is well within their rights to go into hard ass mode with the dealer. (make no mistake hard ass mode is something altogether different than being a a-hole). In my mind going hard ass means taking as much of the emotion out of the transaction as possible. Perhaps approach them as if you were running a restaurant and were just buying $50K worth of potatoes and stick to the meat and wait.... potatoes.

Price, deliverables, timing.

If you can't get a straight answer for these relatively standard questions, I'd walk or suggest a Jeep zone or district manager be brought into the conversation as something of an arbitrator. If you get blowback when you and the seller should be honeymooning, chances are the relationship ain't going to get any better.

Be sure to post how this all went, I'd be really curious how this plays out because that Idaho dealer is kind of on my short list to talk to about an upcoming purchase. Good luck!

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
My first order, with deposit, was sold to a higher offer when they got it. Claimed there was a “glitch” in the system and they didn’t get the allocation. Not verified but clearly obvious due to timing.
Jeebus! Doesn't it say on the Window Sticker that it's built for you? Did they do anything to make that right with you?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Jeebus! Doesn't it say on the Window Sticker that it's built for you? Did they do anything to make that right with you?
Out of town dealer. They called and said it would be there in 2-3 weeks, and complained that his boss said he should have gotten $5K over. I of course said I have a locked price with deposit. Called back 2 weeks later “there was a “glitch in the system and they didn’t get the allocation” Obviously BS - not even a reasonable lie!! Bought at a local dealer, good experience with one exception. Paint protection polish added and I had to find it. “I didn’t request it and you didn’t ask!” Four times before he said he would take it off. Edit— the first one was ordered by someone else who backed out, offered to me at MSRP. 5K over was typical at the time ( one wanted 10K ,one 20K) got the one I bought at MSRP of time of ordering. There was a price increase between ordering and delivery.
Sponsored

Last edited: