2.0L Water Leak

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just to close out my posts in this thread, I found a suitable antifreeze that meets the specs/requirements set forth by Jeep.

20220731_222027.jpg
Are you going to keep us guessing? ;)

My first thought was Zerex G05, based on the gold bottle color, but that's a HOAT formulation, which isn't compatible. The Data Sheet for the separate American Vehicle formulation mentions only MS-12106, but it is otherwise an OAT coolant.

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
Well Willy Goat is home.
picked her up from the dealer a couple towns over since the local one that I bought it from would not allow it to be shipped to them. Clovis Chrysler jeep in Clovis Ca. Are Ahats. I’ll never use the or recommend them, in fact all I’ll do is tell people not to go to them.
Rant over

but now I’ll just watch her for the next few days, weeks and put her through some paces until I feel comfortable enough to take her far out again.

gravy

0190B605-12DA-4726-863A-3CD4DCE6E039.jpeg

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
well I'm waiting to hear back from Chapman. Yesterday after the 50 mile drive home, I had a coolant smell when I parked her in the garage. She ran about 215-226 Deg F for about the first 10 miles, then settled in around 205-215 Deg F. It was 100+ out side air temp and I was running about 70-75 MPH. Not bad but before the incident I was mostly around the 194 Deg F.
When it cooled off enough to open I popped the res cover and the red soup was under the min line. So I added about 10 oz of fluids to bring her up under the max. No drips on ground or visual signs of leaking I can see.
This morning I drove to work, temp out side was 80F, highest coolant temp was 206. at 1st break went out and checked level again. now it's right at the min line. Still no signs of leaking underneath.
Need to check my oil and see how it looks make sure I'm not getting any coolant mixed in it.

I hope it's just getting air pockets out and all will be good. Have to keep a close eye on it for he next few days and watch I far I drive from home.

Gravy

Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Does anyone’s know if the newly produced Jeeps with the 2.0T are coming with the TSB completed? Or maybe it’s up to the dealer who delivers the Jeep?

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Does anyone’s know if the newly produced Jeeps with the 2.0T are coming with the TSB completed? Or maybe it’s up to the dealer who delivers the Jeep?
Mine was a January build and it was not done. Better to think it wasn’t done than to hope it was done. Takes about 15 minutes to remove each screw one at a time, add some loktite and reinstall.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Per the latest TSB:

NOTE:This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before **March 10, 2022 (MDH 0310XX)** equipped with one of the following engines:
  • 2.0.L I4 DOHC DI Turbo PHEV Engine (Sales Code ECX).
  • 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo E-torque Engine (Sales Code EC3).
  • 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine W/ESS (Sales Code EC1).

**This Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) has also been released as a Rapid Service Update (RSU) 22-085, date of issue April 28, 2022. All applicable Un-Sold RSU VINs have been loaded. To verify this RSU service action is applicable to the Un-Sold vehicle, use VIP or perform a VIN search in DealerCONNECT/Service Library. This RSU will expire 18
months after the date of issue.**

So if your vehicle was built after March 10, 2022 is should come with inlet tube properly torqued and locktited.

If you vehicle was built on or before March 10, 2022 its on the dealer to fix it either on the lot before its sold, per the RSU, or when you bring it in and complain.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Awesome @cavguy !! Thanks for those details! I didn’t know the TSB now had production dates associated.

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
I just sent in all my Trip interruption and other expenses from my break down. The other expense I had was the dealer charging me $400 to remove and reattach my non stock bumper with winch, lights and air hose connections. this has to come off to change out the motor as it is pulled out the front. The service manager said it's not covered under the warranty. I paid it and said I'll have Stellantis reimburse me for it. So in my email with all my other expenses I added this as why they should be responsible for that cost.

Chapman charged me $400 to remove and replace my Front bumper because of additional lights and winch. I fully expect Stellantis to reimburse me for this as well as the other trip interruption charges. This whole incident should never have happened and was totally avoidable by Jeep manufacturing and or dealer service on Brand new vehicles dating back to the first TSB 07-001-20 REV A. Dated April 9th 2020. This is a known issues over a year old before my Jeep was even constructed. There was plenty of time for Jeep manufacturing to correct this issue before my Jeep left the factor. Second If they had not been able to fix this issue at the factory, the receiving dealer for the vehicle should have been directed by Jeep to verify and or perform TSB tasks.
What's worse is that it appears that this issue has not been resolved to this date at the factory as an updated TSB has been issued. TSB -07-001-22 REV B. The bumper removal of my 2021 JLU was fully related and due to a manufacturing issue that should have been resolved back in 2020.

Waiting to see what they say. I hope the bean counter that made the decision to not have these corrected at the factory took into account my $400. LOL

Gravy

Sponsored

trdt44

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Power Wagon, '22 Sarge Green JLR
What are the odds? I have been reading this thread this week and was getting ready to perform the tsb myself this weekend.
Now i am on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Was driving on the freeway and the temp shot up, got a warning light and it went into limp mode. Was able to get off the next exit. Got up to about 270deg and coasted about a 1/2 mile.

Eta. 2022 built late December with 7000 miles.

Last edited:

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I'm not sure if I'm in this club yet, but earlier today I was driving on the highway. Could hear the fan coming on which I thought was abnormal but disregarded it as it was hot out.

I stopped for a late lunch, when I started driving again almost immediately the temperature kept going up to the point of hitting the red and backing off. It kept going back and forth so stopped at a gas station, opened the hood. After a couple minutes I left again thinking it was still related to outside.

The oscillating temperatures started again so I pulled over to the side of the road in a neighborhood. Had the hood open and talked to a few people about what to do. Saw a jeep dealership was about 6 minutes away so decided to try to drive there. This time the red came on and stayed. I sat in the parking lot a while and then went to talk to the service. Of course by the time I moved it into the service bay it wasn't on red anymore. I never went into limp mode. I didn't check the engine coolant as I didn't know to do that at the time.

They're going to look at it in the next day or two. They had no loaners, so I had a really expensive hour Uber just halfway home to a friend's. I called jeep service and they opened a case for me and to have rental car reimbursement starting tomorrow.

I was on the way to off road too 😞 '21 Willys, just hit the 8000 mile mark. No previous issues on the highway (even yesterday).

DAEBB2F1-08BB-4FE8-BA73-3981B3A98800.jpeg

894E04A1-3D43-40C6-868B-25CBACC63E83.jpeg