Sponsored

Is getting Jeep warranty service a local or national problem?

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
IMHO Appointments for dropoffs should not be expecting a guaranteed vehicle return that day.
Some dealers offer loaners.
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
It's a labor shortage. Can't imagine that it's limited to the Jeep brand. I just had back surgery and the time required to reserve the OR took three months.

It's turning out that nudging people back to work is more challenging than we would have expected.
Then stop injuring yourself and get back to work! ;)

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Our local independent auto repair shop (not a dealer), which has a great reputation and is easy to work with, currently has a backlog. Obviously some dealers communicate better than others.

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
I have a 2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Terrain edition with less than 5k miles on it. It clearly has an alternator problem which of course is a warranty repair.

I called Northwest Jeep near Portland, Oregon for service because I have purchased multiple Jeeps from them over the years. That used to mean something.

The service department said they were very busy and I'd have to wait two weeks for an appointment. That was inconvenient for me as I wanted to be able to use my Jeep and I'm worried about driving it with the alternator going bad, but I made the appointment and didn't drive my car for that period.

I drove out to Northwest Jeep August 4th, 2022 for my scheduled appointment and they informed me that they wouldn't get to my Jeep until late the next week. The service advisor asked, "It's O.K. to leave your Jeep through next week, right?" I replied, "No. I need it looked at today. I have an appointment I've waited two weeks for." Darian (I think was his name) literally replied, “You don’t have an appointment for service, you have an appointment for us to evaluate the car and we won’t be able to get to that until next week.” I kid you not. No apology, no offer to "make this right." It was like being at the DMV.

I asked to speak to the manager and he effectively told me I was lucky to get it in that fast as they are backed-up a month. I looked around and asked if they had phones. He didn't reply. I said, "I can clearly see you have phones, why didn't you call me to tell me you weren't going to honor my appointment?" He had no response. I kid you not. He just stared at me. Horrible customer service.

Obviously, I won't do business with Northwest Jeep again and am trying a different Jeep dealer, and now now my delay in getting the warranty service is approaching five weeks.

My question to all of you is what has been your warranty service experience these days? Is this a local issue or a national problem? Is this a problem with Jeep or are you experiencing it with other brands? With my many other cars, I've never had a problem getting important warranty service in a timely manner.

Northwest Jeep is certainly giving the Jeep brand a bad reputation in the Portland area.
This is typical in my experience. The appointment is to drop off the vehicle, not to work on it. My dealer sits on it for a few weeks. Took them over a week for a scheduled alignment.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Everyone better start investing in back up cars so they have some kind of transportation on stand by because of the delays. Even getting loaner cars right now seems to be a no go. I don’t know when I’m getting my Jeep back. Engine change under warranty, no loaners and it’s my main means of transportation. Getting a family member from out of state to bring me vehicle so I have transportation again.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone better start investing in back up cars so they have some kind of transportation on stand by because of the delays. Even getting loaner cars right now seems to be a no go. I don’t know when I’m getting my Jeep back. Engine change under warranty, no loaners and it’s my main means of transportation. Getting a family member from out of state to bring me vehicle so I have transportation again.
^ This. Not going to get markedly better any time soon. I will say my local dealer's service department is fairly competent and very helpful (in contrast to their sales department). But this is more an industry problem.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I've got a new parameter now when buying a car. I haven't had this experience with any of my other cars. Porsche, MB, BMW, Ford, etc. I wonder if the Ford Bronco crowd is experiencing this type of thing. If the dealer had been honest and said it would be a month at least I could have tried another dealer - which is what I'm doing now.
Judging by the posts on Bronco6G, Ford dealers treat Bronco owners much worse than Jeep dealers treat us.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I guess I've got a new parameter now when buying a car. I haven't had this experience with any of my other cars. Porsche, MB, BMW, Ford, etc. I wonder if the Ford Bronco crowd is experiencing this type of thing. If the dealer had been honest and said it would be a month at least I could have tried another dealer - which is what I'm doing now.
It's happening with all those other manufacturers too. It's not a Jeep thing. This is a new problem everyone is having since the 2020 shakeup. Ford is still having trouble just making Broncos in the first place. The press releases say they're making more Broncos than ever before but that's not hard to do when you were barely capable of making any Broncos just a year before.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Haha, the ones that have received their Broncos are most certainly having the same (or worse) experience. Just check the Bronco forums. It's much worse.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
OP
OP

AndrewFerg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Haha, the ones that have received their Broncos are most certainly having the same (or worse) experience. Just check the Bronco forums. It's much worse.
Well, that's "good news!" Haha.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Somebody ran into my Renegade while I was at work this past Winter. Front drivers-side dented and the DRL was broken. Called the dealer to schedule the repair... 4 week wait. Fortunately, it was still drivable. So, I wait the 4 weeks and discover, as has been mentioned, it's not a repair call, it's just to get the estimate. The technician writes up the estimate and says it will take a few weeks to get the parts in. Two weeks go by and I hear nothing from the shop. I give it an additional week, then call them up. The guy had forgotten to place the order for the parts! And the thing that gets me is that if I hadn't called who knows how much longer it would have taken. The Renegade was hit in early February. The work didn't finally get done until early May.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I have a 2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Terrain edition with less than 5k miles on it. It clearly has an alternator problem which of course is a warranty repair.

I called Northwest Jeep near Portland, Oregon for service because I have purchased multiple Jeeps from them over the years. That used to mean something.

The service department said they were very busy and I'd have to wait two weeks for an appointment. That was inconvenient for me as I wanted to be able to use my Jeep and I'm worried about driving it with the alternator going bad, but I made the appointment and didn't drive my car for that period.

I drove out to Northwest Jeep August 4th, 2022 for my scheduled appointment and they informed me that they wouldn't get to my Jeep until late the next week. The service advisor asked, "It's O.K. to leave your Jeep through next week, right?" I replied, "No. I need it looked at today. I have an appointment I've waited two weeks for." Darian (I think was his name) literally replied, “You don’t have an appointment for service, you have an appointment for us to evaluate the car and we won’t be able to get to that until next week.” I kid you not. No apology, no offer to "make this right." It was like being at the DMV.

I asked to speak to the manager and he effectively told me I was lucky to get it in that fast as they are backed-up a month. I looked around and asked if they had phones. He didn't reply. I said, "I can clearly see you have phones, why didn't you call me to tell me you weren't going to honor my appointment?" He had no response. I kid you not. He just stared at me. Horrible customer service.

Obviously, I won't do business with Northwest Jeep again and am trying a different Jeep dealer, and now now my delay in getting the warranty service is approaching five weeks.

My question to all of you is what has been your warranty service experience these days? Is this a local issue or a national problem? Is this a problem with Jeep or are you experiencing it with other brands? With my many other cars, I've never had a problem getting important warranty service in a timely manner.

Northwest Jeep is certainly giving the Jeep brand a bad reputation in the Portland area.
its a national crapshot

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

This. Covid was a huge kick in the pants in many ways.

@AndrewFerg

What you're seeing is the result of a massive amount of people in not so great lower paying jobs using the Covid lockdown as an opportunity to train for a better job, often in a completely different field. So now, (particularly in lower paying service fields) many left the ship as it was sinking in one big sudden surge and the usual supply of young people entering that level isn't enough to replenish them.

So expect to see inadequate service staff just about everywhere that lower pay grade service staff exists. The staff that remained are completely overloaded and finding additional staff is extremely difficult.
Not just low paying jobs, My dentist (who runs a great practice) lost a couple of hygienists and she is having a heck of a time replacing em.
Sponsored