Sponsored

Is there a way to check the transmission fluid level?

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
This is probably another stupid question, but is the only way to check the tranny fluid level to go under the car? No dipstick? Either I'm blind, or they hid it really good.

The worry I have is if I get a tranny leak when out in the wild. I normally carry extra fluids with me in case of leaks, enough to hopefully get me back to a road. But, if there's no way to easily get fluid in there, it seems kind of dumb.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a bit annoying.... Watching that movie gives me the chills :) So, checking the transmission fluid level can be a two-day process, and we've got about a million things that can affect the level.

I guess Stellantis can't fault an owner for blowing a transmission when the fluid is too low (unless there's a low trans fluid message that can pop up on the screen).

It's a great transmission, but like anything German made, it's complicated. I'd much rather have a dipstick that I can check, and if low, just add fluid there.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
I wouldn't worry about the ZF8 its not a problematic transmission at all, drive your vehicle hard and enjoy it. It doesn't need much maintenance

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't worry about the ZF8 its not a problematic transmission at all, drive your vehicle hard and enjoy it. It doesn't need much maintenance
The transmission should be fine - it's some of the other things that I worry about (like hoses and connections) that tend to leak over time. I had a scare with the transmission the other day when I high-centered the Jeep and when I was looking underneath, I saw fluid dripping out. Fortunately, that ended up just being water from the air conditioning system - but it did freak me out a bit and got me thinking about how I could check the fluid levels and add fluid if necessary.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
FYI, the service manual says the trans fluid has UV dye in it already, so you can check for leaks with a black light.

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, the service manual says the trans fluid has UV dye in it already, so you can check for leaks with a black light.
I was kind of out in the middle of nowhere, so I did a taste test. It didn't make me want to barf, and it didn't really taste like anything, so I figured it was from the air conditioner.

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR
is trans fluid change ever required?

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is trans fluid change ever required?
Probably not - but check the owner's manual. If it's good fluid (I run Red Line in everything) and it's not constantly overheated, it should be good for 100K miles. But, when it goes low, and you're out in the middle of nowhere, you don't want to have a $12k bill for a new ZF transmission....

That was really the core of my question. I have Vipers, and there have been a few that went low on oil and blew up the engines really quick. FCA said it was the owner's fault for not checking the level, and that was a mess. So, ever since then, I check all fluid levels before heading anywhere. The tranny was one that had me baffled.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Audi uses a version of the ZF8 with their 3.0 engines. Audis look at it fluid for life but ZF recommends an 80K interval on the Audi version. That being said the previous owner believed Audi and did not change the fluid. I bought the car with 142K on it and it was shifting smoothly. Now at 221K on the original fluid it still does great. I am afraid to change at this point tbough

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Note the transmission fluid has to be between 86°F and 122°F and idling in park on a level surface. You need an 8mm hex head socket to open the fill plug.
Sponsored