Everyone, meet “Bolt”, the silver sport s JL build

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1986 YJ Brute (project!)
Hey all, so here I sit at Sacramento airport. Going wheels up in an hr, heading to Dennis Dillon in Idaho to pick up my new Jeep. So far the experience has been mostly positive. Once you get through the “who’s price is it anyway” garbage of not knowing what “your” price is. So far the only ding on the experience has been asking for a out the door price, receiving a verbal price (should have got it in writing!!) paying the $1000 non refundable deposit, only to have them add on dealer doc, title, and $300 in anti theft stickers that “aren’t removable” and it’s “dealer policy, all our vehicles get them”. Convienent that they don’t let you know this up front. To be fair my local dealer hit me with the same bs on my 2017 Rubicon.

So “Bolt” is an auto sport s with tech, convienence, cold weather, and alpine groups.

Currently I have a 2.5” spacer lift from rough country, a rubicon suspension setup, and some 37’s on pro Comp wheels sitting in the garage.

I also have a custom bumper with a warn 8274 that came off my jk that I’m hoping to modify to fit. I also picked up some jk nerf bars, a summit welded muffler and some 90 degree bends, and I’m putting together a rear cargo area rack.

Immediate plans are to finish and install the rack, install the exhaust, and pull the top and doors. We are then setting off for SoCal to hit up Disney, Hollywood/Beverly hills, then onto Vegas for a couple days.

Once home I’m going to strip bolt down and raptor line the interior, install the suspension and wheels/tires, bumper, and nerf bars.

Why the rush? In 45 days bolt is heading for the port of Seattle, then on to South Korea for 2 years.

Yes I know 37s are a lot of tire, especially for a non rubicon, non limited slip “d35”. There is no place to wheel where bolt is going, so yes he will be a mall crawler for now. I’ve been assured by north ridge that the axle will be fine for street duty. I’m plannng on regearing to 4.88s once I arrive overseas.

Long term plans will be artec trusses on a superduty d60, 14b combo, and 40” nittos riding on some sort of long arm suspension when I return. That or a mojito, diesel, rubicon down the road.

Gotta run, time to board!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I made it home 8.5 hrs after setting off from Boise. All in all the experience at Dennis Dillon was a positive one. I would def buy there again. However, as with a lot of the high volume dealers you seem to get lost in the shuffle. I made certain aspects of the deal very clear and got the half listening nod from the salesman. Later in the process none of what I had made clear was done. Def get everything in writing BEFORE sending in your deposit, and if there are special aspects of the deal, make sure they understand what you want.

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I made it 13 hrs before I took the doors off lol. Pulled the top this afternoon. Went ahead and took care of the exhaust. Things have changed since the jk! On my jk I just replaced the suitcase sized muffler with a setup exactly like the one in the pics. Sounded perfect, somewhat throaty and not too loud but you could hear it. On the jl I installed the setup and it sounded like stock. I couldn’t believe it. So I went ahead and removed the resonator and now it sounds decent but still not as good as the jk did.

20B751FE-BD39-45F9-B1D0-3B66C51D7D82.jpeg

008624DE-DA4B-4F6D-A7ED-40A12A7EE80A.jpeg

B6408D54-10F7-4AC8-B1EA-5B90C3C067EA.jpeg

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reused the original hangers.

0EB85525-4BD7-4A3F-8143-FA79CF927FE6.jpeg

CBE154E5-3FB3-4F69-B27F-1CF40613B262.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last one.

643FE1F1-0AB9-4C36-AECA-3544597E8C9B.jpeg

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tomorrow I’m hopefully going to get the rear rack installed. Pics to follow!

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
So I made it home 8.5 hrs after setting off from Boise. All in all the experience at Dennis Dillon was a positive one. I would def buy there again. However, as with a lot of the high volume dealers you seem to get lost in the shuffle. I made certain aspects of the deal very clear and got the half listening nod from the salesman. Later in the process none of what I had made clear was done. Def get everything in writing BEFORE sending in your deposit, and if there are special aspects of the deal, make sure they understand what you want.
Did you drive it from Boise? If you did, how was the drive? Did you experience those horror stories about the steering being awful at highway speeds?

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, left at 130 from the dealer and got home at 930 that night. Went through sun, driving rain, wind, wet roads etc, all at 70-75 mph. Got 20.5 mpg.

As far as the steering, yes it’s a bit odd compared to any other jeep I’ve ever driven. It does “hunt” a little, with the new system on the jl it’s far tighter and more powerful. The slightest adjustment will make the jeep move in the lane. Combined that with rutted roads from big trucks and the winds that famously blow Jeeps around, it’s gets a bit sketchy at times. I think it’s just going to take some getting used to.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Yep, left at 130 from the dealer and got home at 930 that night. Went through sun, driving rain, wind, wet roads etc, all at 70-75 mph. Got 20.5 mpg.

As far as the steering, yes it’s a bit odd compared to any other jeep I’ve ever driven. It does “hunt” a little, with the new system on the jl it’s far tighter and more powerful. The slightest adjustment will make the jeep move in the lane. Combined that with rutted roads from big trucks and the winds that famously blow Jeeps around, it’s gets a bit sketchy at times. I think it’s just going to take some getting used to.
Thanks. My experience as well.

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after a few miles topless with the exhaust done I’m super happy with the sound. No ricer, no drone. Sounds good, esspecially for $100! Summit 2.5” muffler, 2 90’s, 2 hangers, a tip, and a straight piece of 2.5 for the resonator.

Now on to the next project. The rear cargo rack. I run topless 80% of the time and I needed somewhere somewhat secure to store larger items. I built a plywood shelf and painted it black in my jk. It worked well enough but in the jl I figured I’d step up my game. Will be raptor lining it black in a few weeks. Right side tubing is sleeved so I can pull 4 1/4” bolts and collapse the stick outs that mount to the body to the width of the rack for install.

E96183D7-0639-466F-B8AC-F4844240D658.jpeg

39A5B1F9-0559-4BB2-918B-448C522302EF.jpeg

368F5A87-8943-4234-9A39-612D90177A36.jpeg

AB35677D-8037-4D57-A5F5-5C51979DED31.jpeg

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Another week til the lift and tires are going on!

OP
OP

Ponyracer

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotta love driving vacations where your out of your normal area and hit cl to see if there are any deals. Found a wholesaler that was BLOWING out jeep bumpers, doors for $100 each! They were returns that were “damaged” (scratched) in shipping and returned. So I bought a full width jk front winch bumper, a full width rear, and a set of 4 jk unlimited half doors for $300 cash!!

Lol now my hotel looks like an auto parts store and I still need to get this stuff packed with all our luggage and hauled to Vegas for 2 days then onto home in Sacramento.

The front bumper will work as is, I’ll rework the ends and the mounts on the rear and I’ll mod the doors towork. Good thing my gf is awesome and loves me!

A04033A1-E6AC-4CD9-9813-28C7B4220767.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: