Sponsored

Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Some of y'all are funny. Wont spend less than $100 for an over built military jack but will pay $1000 for a winch you’ll never use.
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I checked the HF 4T bottle jack, and it looks good for the price. However, I think I'll go with the 8 ton version for $15 more that has a max height of 17 5/8 inches. The 4T goes up to 14" which is only an inch more than the 13" from the ground to the axle bottom on my Jeep.

And yea, the jack buddy is going to be a necessity.
Brilliant !!!... I think the 8 Ton has a handle and the 4 Ton does not... I also went with the 8 Ton Jack and I welded a 1/4 inch base plate ( scrap metal ) to make it more stable on the trail... I also made a Jack buddy with more scrap metal ( yeah... I am a cheap bastard.. LOL )

Last edited:

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
My choice:

Sponsored

Almost Done

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
This seems like an interesting product.... Combo bottle jack and jack stand for $89.99 (found one on sale for $60.00).

https://www.powerbuilt.com/collecti.../4000-lb-unijack-bottle-jack-jackstand-in-one

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have this happen to their scissor jack? 1659523258842
I have one of these. Bought it about 10 years ago when I bought my JKU (used) that didn't have the factory jack. Works great and the box it comes in doesn't take up much room in the back of the jeep. I carry it in my JL even though I have the factory jack. I trust this one way more than the scissor jack.

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR
Be mindful how you store those bottle jacks, left mine on its side and the fluid leaked out around the seal over time, less than 2 years and didn't work when I needed it to.

Guess we need a bottle of jack fluid stored next to the jack. That would suck. Thanks for the heads up.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised no one has mentioned....we always called those scissor jacks "widow makers".

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Anyone remember the bumper jacks of the 60s-80s? Those things were more dangerous than the scissor jacks. Actually, just based on simple physics, a bumper is the worst part of a vehicle to lift from.

Scissor jacks aren't all bad, but the ones that come with our Wranglers are among the worst.

OP
OP
GunnerK19

GunnerK19

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2 door Sport
Well, picked up the Harbor Freight 8 ton jack, ordering the Jack Buddy axle adapter, and putting one of my 3T Jack stands in the back as well. I've got a big rubber bin in the back so the bottle jack will be upright.

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
IF you are doing work at home get a floor jack and some jack stands. The scissor is an emergency use item. Bottle would be better on the road or get a small floor jack if you can find a space for it.

As mentioned earlier, hy-lifts are great and very versatile but bulky to carry. Back in the day when trunks could fit 5 bodies most cars had a factory hy-lift type jack.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
For those who use the HMMWV jack, could you please advise on the dimensions of the rectangular base? Just curious if it might fit in my old plastic Hi-Lift base. Much appreciated.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
One odd thing to note, is the listing for the HMMWV jack indicates a 3500-lb capacity, which is less than every JL model. Even a 2-door Sport is 3797 lbs. HMMWVs can weigh well beyond 5000 lbs, depending on how they are configured, so just curious if that jack is the real deal.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Not a jeep but I did have one collapse on an Escalade. Was in process of swapping a flat in the garage. Not sure why I used the scissor jack in all honesty being that a floor jack was equally accessable at the time. While the wheel was off and I was reaching for the spare down went Frasier. Faster than anyone would have the chance to move out the way. I was fortunate in that the spindle actually contacted the concrete and kept the rotor from ever touching ground. Eventually reached for the floor jack to get it back up and wheel installed. Never touched a scissor jack again. That was nearly 20 years ago.
Sponsored