Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Recently had my kid completely diss my Onkyo receiver that I splurged well beyond my means or needs for a couple decades+ ago. The pain!
I kind of have the opposite going on. My current receiver is an Onkyo. My previous one worked just fine until I started getting movies with Dolby ATMOS and all of that other new super surround sound stuff. Apparently those signals can't pass through an old fashioned fiber optic audio cable. So now my once state of the art 7.1 surround sound receiver sits out the storage room/office on the other side of the garage, replaced by the Onkyo.

I still have the Sony 5.1 speakers from probably 20 years ago connected to the Onkyo, and a couple of new ATMOS speakers added to get the full effect.

Meanwhile, my oldest kid bought a cheap record player with tiny, tinny sounding speakers built in, and they all wonder why I worried about replacing the receiver in the first place. I tried to explain to them that the surround sound is a bigger deal to me than the high resolution of the 4k movies. I'd rather watch Star Wars in 720 with surround sound than at 4k with 2 channel audio. They don't get it.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Looks unwinnable.

edit:
OK. Lessons learned.
1) note the time/date of the post before replying. If it was a while ago, then go to #2
2) read others' replies before replying the same thing. It's just embarrassing otherwise.

:fist bump:

I still do it on may occasions.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Most of the time they are mandated by states that companies do business in. I know that if we don't have certain trainings done by a certain date we get fined for each employee that did not complete it. Many of them pertain to only certain jobs, but we all have to take them.
I should've known that the government was ultimately responsible.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I kind of have the opposite going on. My current receiver is an Onkyo. My previous one worked just fine until I started getting movies with Dolby ATMOS and all of that other new super surround sound stuff. Apparently those signals can't pass through an old fashioned fiber optic audio cable. So now my once state of the art 7.1 surround sound receiver sits out the storage room/office on the other side of the garage, replaced by the Onkyo.

I still have the Sony 5.1 speakers from probably 20 years ago connected to the Onkyo, and a couple of new ATMOS speakers added to get the full effect.

Meanwhile, my oldest kid bought a cheap record player with tiny, tinny sounding speakers built in, and they all wonder why I worried about replacing the receiver in the first place. I tried to explain to them that the surround sound is a bigger deal to me than the high resolution of the 4k movies. I'd rather watch Star Wars in 720 with surround sound than at 4k with 2 channel audio. They don't get it.
I upgraded a couple years ago for the same reason, sound system features keep changing. Plus I wanted a receiver that handled 4k native. I want from one Yamaha to another one. I still have my Paradigm speakers from 2006. I've had to re-foam the two surround speakers and the sub. The front towers and the center speaker are still cranking.