Sponsored

HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I worked with a Powdercoating shop for my wheels (well, the beadlock rings). It was quick, straight forward and relatively inexpensive (less than $200 total for the 5 wheels). Mine was also a two step process with the clear top coat. If you have something in mind and a shop nearby, it may be worth talking to them.

That being said, you’ve posted a bunch of nice looking wheel options so I’m sure whatever you end up with will look great!
Also, when powder coating wheels, (also depending on color), a UV inhibitor is required with colors that have lots of metallic flake. I’m skeptical about 5 wheels being powder coated for $200. My newest car had matte black wheels, which I despise, so I had the 4 (no spare) powder coated hyper silver for $500.

schulah

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Also, when powder coating wheels, (also depending on color), a UV inhibitor is required with colors that have lots of metallic flake. I’m skeptical about 5 wheels being powder coated for $200. My newest car had matte black wheels, which I despise, so I had the 4 (no spare) powder coated hyper silver for $500.
I’m sure prices can fluctuate across the country for various reasons but just to be clear, I removed the rings and only had them powder-coated while the wheels stayed on the Jeep so that may account for some of the difference. 🤷🏼‍♂️

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I’m sure prices can fluctuate across the country for various reasons but just to be clear, I removed the rings and only had them powder-coated while the wheels stayed on the Jeep so that may account for some of the difference. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying…

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Have one on order.....but those things must be unicorns. I've only ever seen one on autotrader and none here.
Debating ordering one myself, I love my Hydro Blue '21 JLUR, probably just stick with it, but the thought of getting 2 years newer and basically breaking even is tempting.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Well fellers (and fellerina's), the thing I dreaded most happened this morning about an hour ago and I figured no one could empathize with me the way yall can. I got rear-ended this morning. I've only had the damn Jeep for 25 days. And all I can say is thank god I went with the steel bumper and have a nice big fat tire on the back of Jeep cuz, it really aint that bad. The little lady that hit me didn't fare too well.

I was actually hoping some of yall might could help me assess what all looks dinged up. I know the bumper is bent forward and I am hoping it is just the brackets not the bumper itself. The hitch receiver has some scuffing on it but not too bad. And I don't know if the muffler was bent down that much before. Anybody got any thoughts?
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20220809_080511
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20220809_080505

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20220809_080524
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20220809_080531

PS - the trooper that came down commented that, "Those Jeeps never get it too bad. Helluva vehicle." Couldn't agree more officer, could not agree more.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Well fellers (and fellerina's), the thing I dreaded most happened this morning about an hour ago and I figured no one could empathize with me the way yall can. I got rear-ended this morning. I've only had the damn Jeep for 25 days. And all I can say is thank god I went with the steel bumper and have a nice big fat tire on the back of Jeep cuz, it really aint that bad. The little lady that hit me didn't fare too well.

I was actually hoping some of yall might could help me assess what all looks dinged up. I know the bumper is bent forward and I am hoping it is just the brackets not the bumper itself. The hitch receiver has some scuffing on it but not too bad. And I don't know if the muffler was bent down that much before. Anybody got any thoughts?

PS - the trooper that came down commented that, "Those Jeeps never get it too bad. Helluva vehicle." Couldn't agree more officer, could not agree more.
Not much to go on in the photos, you're gonna need an insurance adjuster and body shop estimator. They're going to replace that bumper. Can't tell if it's been "pushed into" and damaged any body panels or not.

My 50/50 over/under SWAG guess is $4500. You'll want to go thru insurance for sure.

In general, at this point, my life is to short to deal with the grief of dealing with "the other guy" 's insurance, and I go straight to my own insurance and body shop of choice, and let them sort it out with collecting from the other party.

EDIT - on a "trail rig beater" or old jeep of 10-15 years old, as you say "not too bad" and I might just leave it alone. But not a brand new jeep less than a month old. Fix it back to factory.

Sponsored

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Not much to go on in the photos, you're gonna need an insurance adjuster and body shop estimator. They're going to replace that bumper. Can't tell if it's been "pushed into" and damaged any body panels or not.

My 50/50 over/under SWAG guess is $4500. You'll want to go thru insurance for sure.

In general, at this point, my life is to short to deal with the grief of dealing with "the other guy" 's insurance, and I go straight to my own insurance and body shop of choice, and let them sort it out with collecting from the other party.

EDIT - on a "trail rig beater" or old jeep of 10-15 years old, as you say "not too bad" and I might just leave it alone. But not a brand new jeep less than a month old. Fix it back to factory.
Pretty fair points. Believe me, I am under no illusions that it "seems" ok and therefore I wont get it assessed. I will definitely be pursuing full restoration. I had such a bad feeling something stupid like this was going to happen with the first vehicle I ordered and bought new. At least the lady and the officer were pleasant.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I got hit in the bumper a while ago and thought it was just a dent in the plastic area. Then i realized the entire steel bumper was a little off. Turns out the brackets are messed up. Had it looked at by the auto body guy I know and he said most likely the whole bumper wouldn't need replacement.
Apparently there's a lot of parts under there that you can't see right away.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
I got hit in the bumper a while ago and thought it was just a dent in the plastic area. Then i realized the entire steel bumper was a little off. Turns out the brackets are messed up. Had it looked at by the auto body guy I know and he said most likely the whole bumper wouldn't need replacement.
Apparently there's a lot of parts under there that you can't see right away.
I am very curious about it as well. The steel bumper held it's shape very well. I can't tell from looking if it is truly bent or if the mounting brackets are the only parts bent. I intend to take the bumper off and see for myself. If I can comfortably determine the brackets need reshaping or replacement only, I will be tempted to pocket the money and buy some goodies with it. I know what the right/prudent thing to do is. But.... We shall see.