Sponsored

Should I Regear?

76_iron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
Other than in first gear, the manual transmission is higher geared than the 8 speed, and the 3.6 makes less torque at low rpm compared to the 2.0. so lower axle gear ratios will get the 3.6 up in the rpm's it makes power at.

Can you explain this to me like I'm 5 please?
Sponsored

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Other than in first gear, the manual transmission is higher geared than the 8 speed, and the 3.6 makes less torque at low rpm compared to the 2.0. so lower axle gear ratios will get the 3.6 up in the rpm's it makes power at.

Thank you, I'm starting to learn and put the pieces together slowly as to what I should pick and form my own opinion.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Thank you, I'm starting to learn and put the pieces together slowly as to what I should pick and form my own opinion.
There is a whole lot of information to get your head around. How the engine behaves at different RPMs, how the transmission behaves, how the tire size fits into the equation, etc.

Give it time and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone starts at the beginning.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
There is a whole lot of information to get your head around. How the engine behaves at different RPMs, how the transmission behaves, how the tire size fits into the equation, etc.

Give it time and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone starts at the beginning.
I just went to your website that you have listed in your profile, and it was very helpful. One of the most helpful resources I've come across here.

Question: if I do decide to do a lift, what size tires can I do with a 4.88 without needing to regear?

Also, if you don't object, I may send you some DMs with other questions I have....

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I just went to your website that you have listed in your profile, and it was very helpful. One of the most helpful resources I've come across here.

Question: if I do decide to do a lift, what size tires can I do with a 4.88 without needing to regear?

Also, if you don't object, I may send you some DMs with other questions I have....
Stock you can run 35" tires. About 2" takes you to 37s. 4.88s are good for 37s generally. Any bigger than 37s you'll want to look at regearing. But at that point you also want to consider doing some upgrades to the axles, or even swapping aftermarket axles.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you're never going to go off road, get the 4.10s.

If you're going to go off road, get the 4.88s.
I donā€™t know man. The manual isnā€™t great with bigger tires on the street. I canā€™t imagine these guys with non-rubicons that go 33-35ā€ tires with the 6-speed. I think where he lives is a huge deciding factor, especially now that thereā€™s a choice of gears. No way Iā€™d choose 4.10 over 4.88 for 35s, even if I lived in the flats.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I donā€™t know man. The manual isnā€™t great with bigger tires on the street.
Can you expand on this? I haven't heard anything like this exactly before....
I think where he lives is a huge deciding factor, especially now that thereā€™s a choice of gears. No way Iā€™d choose 4.10 over 4.88 for 35s, even if I lived in the flats.
I live in a very hilly/mountain-y region. Just to make the 45 min trip tow town I go up and down in elevation quite a bit. But from what I'm also hearing, for driving in the winter on steep uphill/snow-y roads (ie, my driveway), the 4.88 gearing will come in handy for sure alone. Winter tires will obviously factor into this, but having that extra oomph, and the peace of mind that I will never get stuck in the driveway again is worth its weight in gold....

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Can you expand on this? I haven't heard anything like this exactly before....

I live in a very hilly/mountain-y region. Just to make the 45 min trip tow town I go up and down in elevation quite a bit. But from what I'm also hearing, for driving in the winter on steep uphill/snow-y roads (ie, my driveway), the 4.88 gearing will come in handy for sure alone. Winter tires will obviously factor into this, but having that extra oomph, and the peace of mind that I will never get stuck in the driveway again is worth its weight in gold....
Sorry, I should have said the manual WITH 4.10 gearing doesnā€™t do great with larger tires. I lived with 4.10 gears and 37ā€ tires for almost 2 years, it was miserable. With 5.13 gears itā€™s more fun than it was in factory form. Iā€™m able to accelerate up slight inclines in 5th and even 6th gear where before I was dropping to 4th and even 3rd. I live in the PNW where nothing is flat. You will love the 4.88s with 35s. If you order the 4.10 gears I guarantee youā€™ll want to swap them out.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
I have JLU Sport 2L turbo. I just put on 35" tires with a 2 1/2 inch lift. I've noticed power/mileage issues. Which was expected with the added mods. I'm just wondering how important it is to regear from the stock 3.45. And if I do regear, which ratio would be best?
Without reading all though this thread is if you are thinking you need to re-gear... you need to, it's needed. IMHO....
Not a "Wrangler" but in my experience.
My XJ was 3:55 stock when I upgraded tires to 33s I re-geared to 4:56 that dropped it right back to "stock" performance of sorts put speedometer/ odometer on "with 35in" tires. My MPG's ended up same or better actually strangely even with about a 6in or so of lift.
On "real Jeep šŸ™ƒ" My LJ 6sp got 3:73 stock, changing stock size to 31s put speedometer on changing to 33s it's lost the ummp at HWY driving.
Another reason my JT (w 4:10) didn't get 35 or + tires I didn't want to re-gear.
On what to re-gear to isn't a set thing, factors.. lift, tire size and weight of them and rims, normal driving condition, style and location. The need to "go" slightly lower (4:56) if heavy tires and rims, steel bumpers, winch, skid plates, gear. 4:10 should put close to stock performance on road, Off-road "and after airing down" lower gearing than stock performance.
This is just some unknown persons to you opinion here that could be some post teenager in moms basement.... but not FYI. :like: Damn I need to get off forum and go work on one of the Jeeps in my yard or something useful. :LOL:
Sponsored