Sponsored

Extreme Recon package a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared Rubicon?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I have always wanted a jeep with big tires. So I finally bought a rubicon and It's been a saga for me, kinda. I had put on nitro 35s a few years ago and it was sluggish. Being a newbie, i didn't understand the importance of doing it properly. So i took them off, sold them bought stock size and called it a day. Then I was going to regear and we had some expenses that came up and i had to put it off. Now I have saved for the regear and tires, and then the whole clutch thing is happening. I'm afraid to drive it.
The price of the Centerforce clutch on top of the regearing and tires adds up, so I figured well maybe I should just get the XR package from the factory and be done with it.

The manual is fun but it's not as smooth as I thought. My husband hates it. So maybe trading up for an auto would please us both.

But you do make a good point about the tires.
The only draw back that I see for your specific situation is they no longer offer Mojito as a color choice! Don’t get me wrong, I love my Hydro Blue, but Mojito was far and away my favorite. 😜
Sponsored

BillyBaroo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I decided to trade my 2019 Rubicon for a 2022 Rubicon XR early in 2022. I placed my order on February 7 and was told about 12 weeks. They did an initial trade value on my 2019 and came up with $48,500. I was stunned to say the least since I paid $50,500 for it new back in 2019. When it got near my 12 weeks, I went ahead and let the dealer take in my trade to lock in my trade value. They sold it in less than a week. The bad news is that my new Rubicon is still not here but it is in shipping. I ordered a lot of options and that appears to hold up production when you do that.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The only draw back that I see for your specific situation is they no longer offer Mojito as a color choice! Don’t get me wrong, I love my Hydro Blue, but Mojito was far and away my favorite. 😜
Yup! That’s a tough one. I love that color!

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
People keep saying larger brakes on the XR package, but they appear to be the same as any other Wrangler or Gladiator. 12.9 F and 13.4 R.

You can't really go up in size because there is hardly any extra room between the outside of the caliper and the inside of the rim as it is.

Are the rotors thicker?? If that's the case, its a difference that means nothing. A marginal increase in rotor thickness isn't going to make a big difference.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I think I'd really consider for what it is you'd be trading.

The tires aren't what you want, so they shouldn't be considered as a positive in the equation; in fact, you should add the cost of tires to the equation since you'll replace them. The front axle is HD, but is that important to you, for what reason? The rear axle is the same as the Rubicon. There isn't documentation that the front brakes are better than the Rubicon (not that I've found). The rear brakes are marginally different, and may not be a positive:

Rear Rotors:
12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor — Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor — Sahara and Rubicon
13.6 x .86 (345 x 22) vented rotor — Sahara 4xe, Xtreme Recon Pkg
14 x .86 (350 x 22) vented rotor — Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392

Calipers:
1.88" (48) single-piston floating caliper — Sahara and Rubicon
2" (51) single-piston floating calipers — Sahara 4xe, Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392, Xtreme Recon Pkg

Longer shocks don't mean better damping, not at all, so the shocks are only better for your situation if they are in fact better for your situation. They aren't better solely because they are longer.

So, what is the point, the intention, when considering trading in what you have for the XR?
She wants a new XR!! Don’t mess with her excuse! 😉

Last edited:

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
We own both a 22 JLURXR and a 22JLUR both with 3.6. The XR has the nicer ride. Have about 6k miles on both of them now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extreme Recon package a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared Rubicon? 15D688CA-F5B6-463B-9DBA-A88A6B19BC76
interested how's the mileage differ?

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
Should be same — rating is due to tires I thought, which are same on all XR irrespective of engine.
Oh ok. I believe there is a speed limiter then on all the non-392s but can't confirm.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
My XR drives wonderfully on road and off-road. I’ve had it since last October and have put a lot of off-road and Highway miles on (18k). This week I added new wheels with 37” KM3’s and MetalCloak DuroSpring rear bump stops and to my surprise it doesn’t rub even flexed out….. and it drives even better on road with 37’s!!!! Doesn’t look bad either
F2959C00-A02C-45A9-8DA0-AF4AAB16B771.jpeg

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Our JLUR averages 1 - 1.5 mpg better than our XR.
There’s got to be more to this story than that.

Otherwise, you got one defective diesel.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
My XR drives wonderfully on road and off-road. I’ve had it since last October and have put a lot of off-road and Highway miles on (18k). This week I added new wheels with 37” KM3’s and MetalCloak DuroSpring rear bump stops and to my surprise it doesn’t rub even flexed out….. and it drives even better on road with 37’s!!!! Doesn’t look bad either
F2959C00-A02C-45A9-8DA0-AF4AAB16B771.jpeg
I'm thinking if I get the XR i can get some fuel 17 x9 and nitto ridge grapplers and sell the take offs. I shouldn't have to do anything else since it's already geared. I am not a fan of the KO2's. I have them on my rubicon now and they slide a lot in the rain.
I love your bronze wheels.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
People keep saying larger brakes on the XR package, but they appear to be the same as any other Wrangler or Gladiator. 12.9 F and 13.4 R.

You can't really go up in size because there is hardly any extra room between the outside of the caliper and the inside of the rim as it is.

Are the rotors thicker?? If that's the case, its a difference that means nothing. A marginal increase in rotor thickness isn't going to make a big difference.
Yeah, they're thicker...but as you say, not a significant difference. They are drilled/slotted though, which isn't what I would want on an off road rig, but maybe a street rig, like the 392.
Sponsored