Sponsored

New JLUR 392 (~150 Miles), Caster is 3.7 and 4.0 degrees, dealer says it’s within spec

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
How are ICON suspension parts rated compared to others?
Can anyone share highest to low rated for brands from 1 to x, 1 being the best (bees knees) and then next lower down, and so on…
From personal experience please, sometimes more expensive does not translate to better quality/ performance.

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE:

The 392 developed another issue in the meantime. Something was binding in the driveline on turns.
Dropped it off at Chantilly service center in the morning (Friday, 29-Jul-22).
Issues reported to Jeep authorized service center -

1. At turns, something is binding in the 4x4 system (or transmission). Getting Service 4x4 error intermittently (in orange color) in the instrument cluster. This has now become the primary issue and priority. Unless the Jeep is drivable, there is no point worrying about alignment and the wandering/ drivability problems 😂.

2. Dropped Jeep at the authorized service center in Chantilly (VA). People there seem to be helpful. They have confirmed the issue but need to keep Jeep overnight to diagnose the core of the problem. That will decide what to fix/ replace and the time. Jeep will remain in their workshop at least till Monday (today is Friday). They will continue with the diagnosis and let me know how long they will need the Jeep in the Service center.

3. Quadratic sales rep has not responded so far. Have left 2 msgs on his extn.
I still don’t know where the confusion happened. Will need to talk to him first before claiming they sent the wrong stuff or if it was me!

4. With all this going on, the alignment/ Caster issue has become priority no.2.
I have decided not to modify/replace anything until I get a valid response or action from Stelantis/ Jeep. Maybe I got a lemon!

The irony is that I wanted to own a Jeep and keep it forever, bought the best one available, however, the experience has been …. so far.

Life is short, do we want it to waste on fixing things (other’s mistakes) or just chill as we like 👍

I know, it’s probably a Jeep thing however our time is precious.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
3. Quadratic sales rep has not responded so far. Have left 2 msgs on his extn.
I still don’t know where the confusion happened. Will need to talk to him first before claiming they sent the wrong stuff or if it was me!
Just a note: Quadratec is not known for their responsive/helpful customer service.

I've had lots of smooth orders with them, but the second anything goes wrong it turns into a massive timesink. I avoid them now, as my time is a lot more valuable than anything available on their site.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just a note: Quadratec is not known for their responsive/helpful customer service.

I've had lots of smooth orders with them, but the second anything goes wrong it turns into a massive timesink. I avoid them now, as my time is a lot more valuable than anything available on their site.
Highly recommend Northridge, great CS and hard to beat the price with the forum discount.

QT should still do a forum discount, but you have to call them… and talk to someone.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highly recommend Northridge, great CS and hard to beat the price with the forum discount.
Noted for future reference. Thanks.

It will be a few days when I get my Jeep back. Will get to know on Monday exactly how many days that will be.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
MOPAR’s are back ordered (10 day lead time), looking into Rough Country adjustable arms.
I have a rubi takeoff suspension on my sport with the RC adjustable LCAs. Castor is 6.4-6.5. Rides great / steers straight!

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a rubi takeoff suspension on my sport with the RC adjustable LCAs. Castor is 6.4-6.5. Rides great / steers straight!
By any chance, do you know what the camber was before replacing the LCA’s and what approx. length you set the LCA’s to?

this would give me a great starting point.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I just changed out my front LCA’s. 190 foot/lbs is no joke. I was able to get the front bolts torqued but the rear bolts are tough due to clearance issues and the breaker bar. Luckily my local shop did it in a couple of minutes and I wasn’t too far off.
I think it helped ever so slightly, definitely returns to center quicker. The thing that made the most difference was taking the pressure down from 52 to 36😕. Now it drives like all my other Jeeps.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
By any chance, do you know what the camber was before replacing the LCA’s and what approx. length you set the LCA’s to?

A $10 angle finder on the flat spots on the front of the diff is a quick indicator. 0* on the flat is 6* caster.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I’m trying to figure out why.

They already have the part manufactured, it costs zero extra dollars, and it helps/solves THE biggest driving compromise with the wrangler?

There has to be some reason for it, there has to be a downside to increased caster.

I do know that for general suspension geometry you go one direction, you improve stability and comfort, go another direction you improve handling. (Yeah yeah I known it’s not that simple, it’s a rule of thumb and I hate rules of thumb)

One would think jeep has a reason for keeping it’s caster where it is, I mean, whether they target 4 or 6 degrees of caster for OEM there is no cost difference. So why on earth would they target an angle that creates instability.
more wear on ball joints

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door

Unfortunately no… I had the paperwork with all the metrics… but that was a year ago now, sorry. I just recall the new castor numbers. 🤷‍♂️

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Just installed the Mopar lower control arms on my '22 392 XR this AM. Short road test, much better on center stability, even up to 80 mph. Not windy today but thinking it should be better in crosswinds too.

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed the Mopar lower control arms on my '22 392 XR this AM. Short road test, much better on center stability, even up to 80 mph. Not windy today but thinking it should be better in crosswinds too.
Did you check caster before the install? Or, would it be possible to check it now, after replacing the LCA's? Just curious how much these add to the caster.

Quadratic delivered rear control arms by mistake, I need to fix this tomorrow otherwise would've changed mine with adjustable ones by now.

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Did you check caster before the install? Or, would it be possible to check it now, after replacing the LCA's? Just curious how much these add to the caster.

Quadratic delivered rear control arms by mistake, I need to fix this tomorrow otherwise would've changed mine with adjustable ones by now.
No I didn't. I would expected it to be 4 or less stock. I'm thinking it is around 6 now. Eventually when I get a chance I'll have it checked.
Sponsored