Sponsored

Extreme Recon package a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared Rubicon?

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
To Me much better. Tried keeping speed down for break in but at times looked down and was doing 80-85 and it was smooth enough I didn't realize it.
The XR rides really well. Took a long trip to NC with the fam and it was very comfortable. Still trying to find the ideal tire pressure for the ko2 35s.
I also didn't realize this morning I was doing 96 mph on the way to work after making a pass to get out from behind a dump truck in fear of getting a rock to the windshield.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I also didn't realize this morning I was doing 96 mph on the way to work after making a pass to get out from behind a dump truck in fear of getting a rock to the windshield.
Aren’t those tires rated to 99 MPH...?

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
I barely do 65 lol. I drive like a granny
I normally drive conservative but didn't realize the speeds of the other cars, had just merged from the on ramp and I was in some congestion, saw an opening and let the turbo kick in. I glanced down and saw 96. It wasn't a great feeling but the XR does ride smooth.

Sponsored

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
XR Daily drives pretty well. Much better then my previous 2.0 2dr Rubi. I have the 3.6 now. Just missing my 21 mpg with the 2dr. Yesterday had the cruise set to 65, only got a average of 17 mpg :-(

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I hate the ko2 s. I would put nitto ridge grapplers on there. Assuming they’d got the stock wheels

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I think I'd really consider for what it is you'd be trading.

The tires aren't what you want, so they shouldn't be considered as a positive in the equation; in fact, you should add the cost of tires to the equation since you'll replace them. The front axle is HD, but is that important to you, for what reason? The rear axle is the same as the Rubicon. There isn't documentation that the front brakes are better than the Rubicon (not that I've found). The rear brakes are marginally different, and may not be a positive:

Rear Rotors:
12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor — Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor — Sahara and Rubicon
13.6 x .86 (345 x 22) vented rotor — Sahara 4xe, Xtreme Recon Pkg
14 x .86 (350 x 22) vented rotor — Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392

Calipers:
1.88" (48) single-piston floating caliper — Sahara and Rubicon
2" (51) single-piston floating calipers — Sahara 4xe, Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392, Xtreme Recon Pkg

Longer shocks don't mean better damping, not at all, so the shocks are only better for your situation if they are in fact better for your situation. They aren't better solely because they are longer.

So, what is the point, the intention, when considering trading in what you have for the XR?

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
You know ...practically any 1990s Buick is a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared Rubicon and, if a much better daily driver ride is your top priority, perhaps a Wrangler isn't what you really want and perhaps you should not be in the Wrangler market and driving up prices for those who want to buy a Wrangler to use it for it what it was actually designed to deliver.

Just sayin'

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
I looked into trading my 2018 Sahara recently. It’s got a Mopar lift, 4.88 gears, 35s, and only 12,500 miles.

In my case, it made no sense to trade in. Between the drop in trade-in values from the record highs of last winter, ongoing escalating prices of new vehicles, 10% in sales tax and registration, it made no financial sense to get rid of it.

The fact that my JL has been solid and trouble-free, while 2021+ owners have been reporting all sorts of electrical and electronic problems, convinced me to just keep it.
Good call!👍🏽 Spoke with an old school Jeep Technician recently about the quality of vehicles in general and how it’s across the board with the majority of automobile manufacturers, suffering QC and supply issues which is then handed to the consumer to deal with. So yes if you got a good one and it’s proven hold on to that bad boy.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Actually I believe the XR on the 392 is rated 110. I think all other XRs are 97 or 98?
Should be same — rating is due to tires I thought, which are same on all XR irrespective of engine.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
XR Daily drives pretty well. Much better then my previous 2.0 2dr Rubi. I have the 3.6 now. Just missing my 21 mpg with the 2dr. Yesterday had the cruise set to 65, only got a average of 17 mpg :-(
Two door rubi wheel base makes bar pretty low in that dept IMO.

Driving the 392 hard made the additional lift obvious — my ‘19 4 door rubi just didn’t have that type of performance obviously but it felt more planted than my 392 on the highway. IMO, 392 XR needs stiffer shocks and more caster from the factory hands down no question.

Gladiator hands down still feels the most stable out of all my vehicles, even with 37’s and 5” of lift. It’s running fox 3.0’s though, along with plenty of caster.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I think I'd really consider for what it is you'd be trading.

The tires aren't what you want, so they shouldn't be considered as a positive in the equation; in fact, you should add the cost of tires to the equation since you'll replace them. The front axle is HD, but is that important to you, for what reason? The rear axle is the same as the Rubicon. There isn't documentation that the front brakes are better than the Rubicon (not that I've found). The rear brakes are marginally different, and may not be a positive:

Rear Rotors:
12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor — Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor — Sahara and Rubicon
13.6 x .86 (345 x 22) vented rotor — Sahara 4xe, Xtreme Recon Pkg
14 x .86 (350 x 22) vented rotor — Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392

Calipers:
1.88" (48) single-piston floating caliper — Sahara and Rubicon
2" (51) single-piston floating calipers — Sahara 4xe, Rubicon 4xe, Rubicon 392, Xtreme Recon Pkg

Longer shocks don't mean better damping, not at all, so the shocks are only better for your situation if they are in fact better for your situation. They aren't better solely because they are longer.

So, what is the point, the intention, when considering trading in what you have for the XR?
I have always wanted a jeep with big tires. So I finally bought a rubicon and It's been a saga for me, kinda. I had put on nitro 35s a few years ago and it was sluggish. Being a newbie, i didn't understand the importance of doing it properly. So i took them off, sold them bought stock size and called it a day. Then I was going to regear and we had some expenses that came up and i had to put it off. Now I have saved for the regear and tires, and then the whole clutch thing is happening. I'm afraid to drive it.
The price of the Centerforce clutch on top of the regearing and tires adds up, so I figured well maybe I should just get the XR package from the factory and be done with it.

The manual is fun but it's not as smooth as I thought. My husband hates it. So maybe trading up for an auto would please us both.

But you do make a good point about the tires.
Sponsored