Sponsored

Install 392 takeoff shocks and springs on 2019 Sahara?

Taepayne32

First Name
Dontae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
I was given some shocks and springs off a 392, wanting to put on my 19 Sahara but my shop said they’ve never heard of it. Is this possible to do? Their saying it’ll sit too high and may be wobbly. Should I go elsewhere or sell them?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was given some shocks and springs off a 392, wanting to put on my 19 Sahara but my shop said they’ve never heard of it. Is this possible to do? Their saying it’ll sit too high and may be wobbly. Should I go elsewhere or sell them?
Get away from that shop as fast as you can……. Find a shop that knows jeeps , or put them on yourself, there’s a ton of how to info on this forum as well as YouTube vids. It’s super simple, no need for alignment or anything else it’s remove and replace…… you won’t get enough height to adversely affect your rig……

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You may need a little bump stop extension, IIRC, the 392 shocks are longer compressed than the stock bump stop. Somewhere in the 1/2" to 1" range.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So…if the suspension systems, even those designed for the front-heavy 392, work fine on any Wrangler, why bother with any vehicle specifics at all? Would you go to a store and buy clothes off-the-rack without looking at the size tag?

Not an area to save money IMO.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So…if the suspension systems, even those designed for the front-heavy 392, work fine on any Wrangler, why bother with any vehicle specifics at all? Would you go to a store and buy clothes off-the-rack without looking at the size tag?

Not an area to save money IMO.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
It is super common for people to install Rubicon take off springs and shocks onto non-Rubicon models for a small lift (1-1.5"). I don't think it would be any major difference in regards to the 392 springs and shocks with the exception they likely would provide a little more lift than a regular Rubicon setup. Depending on how much lift it provides you may be looking at the need for longer swaybar end links and lower control arms....but I do not know for sure exactly where that lift height versus the "requirement" to have those (note I say require versus nice to have).
Regarding weight differences not sure if it would be that big of a deal or not. Take it for what it is worth but a quick search on the 'net shows the curb weight of a 392 around 5,100 lbs. and a Sahara around 4,400 lbs. (yes, I know that can vary based on options)....but you are only looking at around 700 lbs. which is like having 3-4 people in the vehicle. There is a difference between optimum and what reasonably works....

To be clear, I do not have any personal experience with this swap. However on paper and based on other people's experience with swapping springs and shocks between models (including myself) it doesn't sound like a huge deal. In any case, I don't think it would be an issue getting the 392 stuff installed on a Sahara. Worst case you either take it back off, or maybe have to get a few additional items to make it work well. A decent shop with a lift and power tools should be able to swap these components in under 2 hours (I'm a decent home mechanic and swapped springs and shocks on a JLU a couple weeks ago by myself with no vehicle lift/hoist in just over 2 hours).

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It is super common for people to install Rubicon take off springs and shocks onto non-Rubicon models for a small lift (1-1.5"). I don't think it would be any major difference in regards to the 392 springs and shocks with the exception they likely would provide a little more lift than a regular Rubicon setup. Depending on how much lift it provides you may be looking at the need for longer swaybar end links and lower control arms....but I do not know for sure exactly where that lift height versus the "requirement" to have those (note I say require versus nice to have).
Regarding weight differences not sure if it would be that big of a deal or not. Take it for what it is worth but a quick search on the 'net shows the curb weight of a 392 around 5,100 lbs. and a Sahara around 4,400 lbs. (yes, I know that can vary based on options)....but you are only looking at around 700 lbs. which is like having 3-4 people in the vehicle. There is a difference between optimum and what reasonably works....

To be clear, I do not have any personal experience with this swap. However on paper and based on other people's experience with swapping springs and shocks between models (including myself) it doesn't sound like a huge deal. In any case, I don't think it would be an issue getting the 392 stuff installed on a Sahara. Worst case you either take it back off, or maybe have to get a few additional items to make it work well. A decent shop with a lift and power tools should be able to swap these components in under 2 hours (I'm a decent home mechanic and swapped springs and shocks on a JLU a couple weeks ago by myself with no vehicle lift/hoist in just over 2 hours).
You have to admit: 700 lb delta versus a 4,400 lb basis is immense. Like having a Harley Fatboy strapped to your roof. If this was an applicable swap, Jeep might as well just sell one lift kit - "one size fits all".

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
This has been done. Just follow the link I posted few comments above. Many people said tons of stuff when I was planning on doing this. I can tell you that my JL drives great both on and off road.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You have to admit: 700 lb delta versus a 4,400 lb basis is immense. Like having a Harley Fatboy strapped to your roof. If this was an applicable swap, Jeep might as well just sell one lift kit - "one size fits all".
Assuming a 130 lb/in front spring and 180 lb/in rear. If the weight was evenly distributed, and using average rate for simplicity, the 700 lbs should result in the Sahara riding a little more than an inch higher than the 392.

If the 392 added weight is nose heavy, may be worth a small spacer in the front to maintain a reasonable rake.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I guess some people just like to be negative, and if its not their way then no one should do it. if I didn't already have rubi springs and shocks on my sport, i would definitely consider the 392 set up if its taller, or even the xr set up to give me a "budget lift" until i can afford to do a proper lift.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OP, note, if you're going off road and installing bigger tires, you should adjust your bump stop extension for tire fitment.

And look at sway bar links (really QDs) as mentioned earlier.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Will the ride height "change" with different weights...yes....will it be dramatic......I wouldn't think so. Some of the weight difference is unsprung, meaning axles, brakes, tires, wheels which make no real difference in how the vehicle will sit based on spring rate. Then you also consider that the remaining additional weight is spread somewhat between the front and back. Point being is that if the total weight difference is 700 lbs., only a certain amount of that weight actually affects the spring or ride height. Let's say the axle parts and tires and wheels weight 100 lbs. more than the stock Sahara parts that means there is "only" 600 lbs. total. Now divide that weight up side to side and front to back. Sure, a majority of the added weight is on the front tires from the engine, but some of it is on the rear tires to.
Sponsored