Suspension Advice for JLUR XR

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
Hey, so I have been driving my XR for 3k miles or so now. My wife and I absolutely love it (we have both always wanted a wrangler). The only thing I would like to improve is its driveability and handling on back roads. It can be pretty wild on back roads, seeming to jump/bounce back and forth a good bit. I have already replaced the LCA's with the longer ones from the 2" lift kit, which helped with tracking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3652.JPG
Sponsored

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Hey, so I have been driving my XR for 3k miles or so now. My wife and I absolutely love it (we have both always wanted a wrangler). The only thing I would like to improve is its driveability and handling on back roads. It can be pretty wild on back roads, seeming to jump/bounce back and forth a good bit. I have already replaced the LCA's with the longer ones from the 2" lift kit, which helped with tracking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3652.JPG
Sharp looking rig :rock:

What PSI are you running?? Maybe the tires air pressure is too low.. That would make it more bouncy

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired

Jeep Wrangler JL Suspension Advice for JLUR XR IMG_3652.JPG
No advice yet on your question. I just got a '22 392 XR and haven't had a chance to trail ride it yet, so haven't experienced that issue. My '20 non XR Rubicon didn't do that. I also purchased the same LCA's but haven't installed them yet. Did yours need an alignment after or no?

OP
OP
kilian73

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
Sharp looking rig :rock:

What PSI are you running?? Maybe the tires air pressure is too low.. That would make it more bouncy
35 PSI. I had thought higher tire pressure would make it bounce more.

OP
OP
kilian73

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
No advice yet on your question. I just got a '22 392 XR and haven't had a chance to trail ride it yet, so haven't experienced that issue. My '20 non XR Rubicon didn't do that. I also purchased the same LCA's but haven't installed them yet. Did yours need an alignment after or no?
I got an alignment after, although I read on here it wasn't necessary.
My issue isn't even on the trails, it is on country back roads that I have to drive on daily.

Reactions: JT1

Sponsored

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
My issue isn't even on the trails, it is on country back roads that I have to drive on daily.
What did your caster come out to? I'm running 32# pressure currently, seems pretty good there on the street.

OP
OP
kilian73

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
What did your caster come out to? I'm running 32# pressure currently, seems pretty good there on the street.
5.8 for the caster.
I thought I had read that the shocks in the XR's weren't great. Was wondering if replacing them with something better would help.

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
5.8 for the caster.
I thought I had read that the shocks in the XR's weren't great. Was wondering if replacing them with something better would help.
Your caster must have been less than 4 stock then. Hard to understand why they don't use those LCA's from the factory. I've heard that too, but also that the regular Rubicon Fox shocks are junk too. My 392 rides better than my Rubicon did. Handling seems similar.

Sponsored

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Shocks can certainly help, but sounds like this is your first wrangler and guessing its your first solid front axle vehicle also? It's far from a sports car or any regular vehicle so just keep that in mind. Often times we get people wanting to make their truck ride like a Cadillac. We do our best, but a truck is a truck, and a Jeep is a Jeep. Most stock shocks are not that great, just mass produced throw away shocks. Depending on use and budget some Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks would be a solid improvement all around.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Air pressure, rear roll center and a real steering stabilizer. My gladiator was the same on bumpy/broken 2 lanes. Dropping air pressure a couple PSI helped. Mine is lifted more (Clayton 3.5) but raising the rear roll center helped the back end jumping sideways, and replacing the factory stabilizer for an exact-center kept those really rough broken areas from trying to rip the wheel out of your hands.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Explore the Gladiator Rubicon Fox shocks.

They completely transformed my ride compared to red Rubicon shocks. They are ‘’valved’’ much smoother. Combined with 32 psi, washboard dirt roads arent the same.

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on use and budget some Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks would be a solid improvement all around.
How are these in comparison to the 2.5 DSCs?

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Are you getting tramlining? When the tires follow the cracks in the road...
Sponsored