Sponsored

New JLUR 392 (~150 Miles), Caster is 3.7 and 4.0 degrees, dealer says it’s within spec

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
MOPAR’s are back ordered (10 day lead time), looking into Rough Country adjustable arms.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
He has a 4xe. The page he is referencing suggests the 4xe uses the longer Mopar LCA.
They are not though. Just to clarify, every JL uses same LCAs from Sport up through the tallest OEM Rubicon XRs. I still think it is crazy they haven’t went with longer LCAs 🤦🏼‍♂️

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They are not though. Just to clarify, every JL uses same LCAs from Sport up through the tallest OEM Rubicon XRs. I still think it is crazy they haven’t went with longer LCAs 🤦🏼‍♂️
Confirmed through personal experience.

Borderline Jeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
From what I believe.
Camber on a solid axle can't be adjusted, it'll be roughly 0.0 or straight up and down. Anything close to that is fine, either that or their machine is reading slightly off.

Caster, will be out of spec, you can get adjustable lower control arms to assist. Closer to 5 or 6 degrees the better. Yes it may be out of spec but it'll drive better.

Doing an alignment on a vehicle with adjustable control arms, adjustable tie rod, etc. is something you need a good 4x4 shop to do, and it'll take a lot of time and labor. It's not like a vehicle with IFS.

I have both a Rubicon on EVO long arms and King coil overs and PSC hydro steering. My other car is a Mazda Miata. Yes the Jeep drives like a Jeep. It'll never drive like any other vehicle that has IFS.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I’m trying to figure out why.

They already have the part manufactured, it costs zero extra dollars, and it helps/solves THE biggest driving compromise with the wrangler?

There has to be some reason for it, there has to be a downside to increased caster.

I do know that for general suspension geometry you go one direction, you improve stability and comfort, go another direction you improve handling. (Yeah yeah I known it’s not that simple, it’s a rule of thumb and I hate rules of thumb)

One would think jeep has a reason for keeping it’s caster where it is, I mean, whether they target 4 or 6 degrees of caster for OEM there is no cost difference. So why on earth would they target an angle that creates instability.

Sponsored

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLUR XR, ‘20 Q7, ‘19 S5
I’m trying to figure out why.

They already have the part manufactured, it costs zero extra dollars, and it helps/solves THE biggest driving compromise with the wrangler?

There has to be some reason for it, there has to be a downside to increased caster.

I do know that for general suspension geometry you go one direction, you improve stability and comfort, go another direction you improve handling. (Yeah yeah I known it’s not that simple, it’s a rule of thumb and I hate rules of thumb)

One would think jeep has a reason for keeping it’s caster where it is, I mean, whether they target 4 or 6 degrees of caster for OEM there is no cost difference. So why on earth would they target an angle that creates instability.
Because it reduces variability on the line. This in turn reduces training costs, inventory costs, error rates, etc. It also reduces footprint (space) requirements on the line.

Upstream you might also have an issue with manufacturing capacity for that LCA. If the plant that makes those only has to make 5,000 per year, that’s easier to manage then having to produce 10,000 per month along with regular LCAs. (Those are hypothetical numbers obviously.)

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
From what I believe.
Camber on a solid axle can't be adjusted, it'll be roughly 0.0 or straight up and down. Anything close to that is fine, either that or their machine is reading slightly off.

Caster, will be out of spec, you can get adjustable lower control arms to assist. Closer to 5 or 6 degrees the better. Yes it may be out of spec but it'll drive better.

Doing an alignment on a vehicle with adjustable control arms, adjustable tie rod, etc. is something you need a good 4x4 shop to do, and it'll take a lot of time and labor. It's not like a vehicle with IFS.

I have both a Rubicon on EVO long arms and King coil overs and PSC hydro steering. My other car is a Mazda Miata. Yes the Jeep drives like a Jeep. It'll never drive like any other vehicle that has IFS.
SPC makes camber bushings for the JL, so you can adjust it.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Because it reduces variability on the line. This in turn reduces training costs, inventory costs, error rates, etc. It also reduces footprint (space) requirements on the line.

Upstream you might also have an issue with manufacturing capacity for that LCA. If the plant that makes those only has to make 5,000 per year, that’s easier to manage then having to produce 10,000 per month along with regular LCAs. (Those are hypothetical numbers obviously.)
I considered that aspect.

i can’t think of an easier part change for specific vehicles to implement. It doesn’t take up a lot of volume for storage, likely same cost, same torque specs, no other modifications to the suspension, The slightly lifted wranglers already have several different parts installed.

I just don’t see the minimal logistics required being a viable reason to compromise highway handling. If that’s actually the case then stellantis is on just another level of idiocy than I imagined. I mean you have to assume there are many highly intelligent people working at one of the worlds largest automaker

Infact I don’t see any reason.

Maybe it’s just an oversight and there is no real reason. Crazy if they were that oblivious to well known forum content.

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I considered that aspect.

i can’t think of an easier part change for specific vehicles to implement. It doesn’t take up a lot of volume for storage, likely same cost, same torque specs, no other modifications to the suspension, The slightly lifted wranglers already have several different parts installed.

I just don’t see the minimal logistics required being a viable reason to compromise highway handling. If that’s actually the case then stellantis is on just another level of idiocy than I imagined. I mean you have to assume there are many highly intelligent people working at one of the worlds largest automaker

Infact I don’t see any reason.

Maybe it’s just an oversight and there is no real reason. Crazy if they were that oblivious to well known forum content.
Yeah it’s entirely possible it nothing more than an oversight on their end. Spend enough time around big companies and you eventually realize there’s tons of logical stuff that never gets fixed.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Yeah it’s entirely possible it nothing more than an oversight on their end. Spend enough time around big companies and you eventually realize there’s tons of logical stuff that never gets fixed.
Jeepcares, whereever you may be, please escalate this, oem lifted wranglers should have the mopar 2” lift LCA, they handle like dog shit on the highway.

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Couple of things…. If you have done the switch you know the 2” lift LCAs are significantly more heavy duty than stock. Also the sheer quantity needed to equip multiple models of wranglers would take a pretty high volume of those upgraded LCAs. So dollars and no sense is why they are not on all lifted models… if they already can’t keep them on the shelves, the supplier in China wouldn’t be able to keep up with the factory builds.

@Birdcatcher if your back order comment is based on the comment on all mopar’s page, they just need more lead time, they are heavy and big to ship. They have them in stock.

Also this is not a simple switch based purely on 190 ft/#s of torque required. If you are not a very strong person, you will not be able to do this switch. Or you will leave them under torqued and have death wobble down the road. Get help if you have any doubt about 190 ft/# of torque…

OP
OP

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
Does anyone have any recommendation for a good 4x4 shop (that specializes in Jeep) + Alignment here in the DMV/ Northern VA area? Since I will have to get it aligned anyway and may need to make adjustments to dial it in, maybe taking it to a shop makes more sense.

Dwightrerskine

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good 4x4 shop (that specializes in Jeep) + Alignment here in the DMV/ Northern VA area? Since I will have to get it aligned anyway and may need to make adjustments to dial it in, maybe taking it to a shop makes more sense.
have you tried a different jeep dealership? seems like the service rep is trash same as the alignment tech. caster needs to be as close to 6 as possible and Jeep should cover this service to get it there. It really is simple red bad green ok. 6-6.38* is best. you can look at many adjustable control arms as well. JKS mfg has nice control arms that are adjustable. forum sponsor @Northridge4x4 does offer a forum code if you call in. fast shipping JKS front lower control arms in stock
Sponsored