How much better is the JL over the JK?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
You can feel the love in here. :) Hahaha.

No, it's not the tires and it's not tire pressures. My tires are at 37 but it's hot outside so I would expect that. And, I've got almost 1,500 miles on the JL so I've done more than a "test drive" in them.

You can call me "full of shit" if you want, but I've owned more Jeeps than probably everybody in this thread combined and I have worked on all my own stuff so I know what I'm talking about.

It's an issue, and yes, we'll probably be hearing about it soon. There are only 2 recalls on JLs so far which is pretty good for a FCA vehicle launch, but there'll be more coming this summer I'm sure considering that EVERY Jeep forum on the Web has complaints about the terrible steering/handling on these models.
Well, I didn't say you're full of shit, and you're not going to remedy your issue by bitching here. If you're that unhappy with your Jeep, take it back to the dealer, get it fixed, or get rid of it.
Sponsored

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
WXman - interesting, we've had the complete opposite experiences.

Re: steering - I've seen a few threads about legitimate steering issues on the JL. Scary stuff. I haven't experienced any of those myself, so I'll just compare to what I was used to in my 2 door JK. That Jeep I could steer with a finger. My wife complained about the steering feeling "loose" on the JK but both of us agree the JLU feels much tighter.
I haven't had any issues with my JL's steering, and it's got a 2.5" lift and 35s. It was sketchy when I first got the tires installed, as Discount Tire had them cranked up to over 55 PSI. Letting them down to 35 PSI and it handles fine now, even on curvy roads. Steering feels pretty good for being EPS in my opinion - it feels a lot "heavier" than other EPS systems that I've used, which to me is a good thing. I'd rather it be heavy than feel like a 80s Buick.

Re: curves - I drove down a 2 lane Iowa highway with tons of curves and gravel shoulders over the weekend and never once felt uncomfortable taking curves at a decent speed (~50mph). My JK...well, even without a lift, I felt like I really needed to slow down more. Maybe this is partially the result of the heavier, longer 4 door, but I was very pleased with the performance of the JLU on a curvy highway.
It's no Corvette, but it's not at all "sketchy" and doesn't make me uneasy to drive through curves faster than the "suggested speed limit" on said curves. I had a 2dr TJ on 35s that was the complete opposite story (sketchy as Hell in corners), and I have never owned a JK, but I do daily drive a Golf GTI so that should count for something when I say that my JLU is fine in corners.

Re: interiors - again, we had the opposite comment. It felt like the seats are actually wider. We were very comfortable on the 5 hour drive, though our only passenger in the rear seat was our dog who spent most of the time passed out in the hammock. I'm 6'0"
I have no issues with the seats and I'm 5'9" and 240 lbs. I've done multiple-hour drives in my JLU as well without thinking about the seats. I find them quite comfortable. I have't had rear seat passengers for long trips aside from my kids, who would be fine sitting on plywood, so I can't comment on back seat observations from adults.

Edit: I should also note that I'm north of 4,000 miles on my JLUR as of the time of this post.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It should be ok for someone to be unhappy with the steering and comfort on the JLU. I never owned a JKU though i have ridden/driven them. To me the JLU is light years ahead. I have a smaller build and it is very comfortable to me and i have no complaints on the steering. But it doesn't mean that other opinions aren't valid.

If i had a friend over 6 feet tall who asked me about the comfort i would definitely tell them to check it out for themselves based on what i have read on these forums.

OP
OP
Gymguy

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you everyone for the amazing responses! Keep them coming! It’s great to hear different opinions!

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
You can feel the love in here. :) Hahaha.

No, it's not the tires and it's not tire pressures. My tires are at 37 but it's hot outside so I would expect that. And, I've got almost 1,500 miles on the JL so I've done more than a "test drive" in them.

You can call me "full of shit" if you want, but I've owned more Jeeps than probably everybody in this thread combined and I have worked on all my own stuff so I know what I'm talking about.

It's an issue, and yes, we'll probably be hearing about it soon. There are only 2 recalls on JLs so far which is pretty good for a FCA vehicle launch, but there'll be more coming this summer I'm sure considering that EVERY Jeep forum on the Web has complaints about the terrible steering/handling on these models.
How many Jeeps?

91' YJ - totaled (276k miles)
07' JK 4 Door Sahara - sold
08' JK 2 Door X - sold
09' JK Rubicon - sold
12' JK Rubicon - sold
14' JK Willys (half door) - lemon
15' JK Rubicon Hard Rock - sold
17' JK Winter Edition

99' Grand Cherokee - sold
05' Grand Cherokee - sold

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How many Jeeps?

08' JK 2 Door X - sold
09' JK Rubicon - sold
12' JK Rubicon - sold
17' JK Winter Edition

All you need is 10,11,13,16 and 18 and you will have the complete jk set.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
How many Jeeps?

08' JK 2 Door X - sold
09' JK Rubicon - sold
12' JK Rubicon - sold
17' JK Winter Edition

Did they all have horrible problems and needed to be replaced? I see one was a lemon.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I absolutely love everything about my JLUR and want to add a JLR to the stable as availability arrives.

My ownership history:
2011 JKR (bought new, traded @1800mi for a '12 with the 3.6).
2012 JKR (kept it for 4 years daily driver). Got real stupid I thought I'd "upgrade" to a 2016 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. $85k later was trading it in in 7 months. Check engine light 3 times in the last three months of ownership. Traded it on on a new
2016 Tuscany 1500 Silverado 4x4. Put 30k miles on it and made fill circle back to the
Jeep with the
2018 JLUR.

Also had a JKUS in the household as the wife's car for a while, now she's in a 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit.

I've also daily drove an SRT Grand Cherokee in the 2008 time frame.

So.. after all that longwindedness I feel qualified to say the the cornering and handling is by far better than expected. Solid, predictable, stable. Way better than the JK. The RRS and SRTGC were better but really not by much when talking about normal daily driving manners.

Mine is still at the 42psi... going to drop that down after reading this thread.

Said my peace, the JL is awesome AF.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, I didn't say you're full of shit, and you're not going to remedy your issue by bitching here. If you're that unhappy with your Jeep, take it back to the dealer, get it fixed, or get rid of it.
Oh trust me, I plan to do just that. As do a lot of the other countless folks experiencing an issue that should have never been there to begin with.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
How many Jeeps?

08' JK 2 Door X - sold
09' JK Rubicon - sold
12' JK Rubicon - sold
17' JK Winter Edition

'03 KJ
'05 KJ CRD
'05 KJ Limited CRD
'92 YJ
'96 ZJ
'06 XK
'01 WJ
'11 JKU
'12 JKU
'18 KL
'18 JLU

That's if I'm not forgetting any. I won't list the other dozen or two pickups and muscle cars because it's not relevant to this thread.

You know which one drove/drives the worst and is the least comfortable out of all those? The JLU.

Having said that, as I mentioned there are things to love about the JL also, so carry on..........

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
So that list makes you and expert how? Jay Leno has a Jeep too. Should he list a bunch of irreverent vehicles that he has or had and say how that makes him the end all of everything JL? You have several Liberty's on your list, what no Hoverounds or skate boards?
This is 4 wheel drive full time, and I worked on a similar model for a neighbor of mine. So if you have any questions about a Donovan, Rodeck, Rockwells, 5 ton center sections just let me know cus i be an expurt.

scout-dst-4-wheel-power-.jpg

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
I took my JLU on a 100+ mile test drive before I bought it. I haven't bought that many cars but I hope I am not dumb enough to buy something I am not happy with how it drives or rides.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Since we're all weenie-wagging now, Here's my contribution: :turkey:
  • '67 Bel Air
  • '66 Impala
  • Ford Courier (Mazda)
  • '78 Chevy half ton
  • Various F150s
  • F250 Powerstroke
  • Toyota Taco (2)
  • Subaru Forester (3)
  • Bronco II (junk)
  • Nissan Pathfinder
  • Nissan Z
  • Mustang GT
  • Subaru BRZ
  • Wrangler (5)
  • Cherokee
So there!:asshat:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
So that list makes you and expert how? Jay Leno has a Jeep too. Should he list a bunch of irreverent vehicles that he has or had and say how that makes him the end all of everything JL? You have several Liberty's on your list, what no Hoverounds or skate boards?
This is 4 wheel drive full time, and I worked on a similar model for a neighbor of mine. So if you have any questions about a Donovan, Rodeck, Rockwells, 5 ton center sections just let me know cus i be an expurt.

scout-dst-4-wheel-power-.jpg
Well, it's not rocket science. If you've logged tens of thousands of miles in just about every Jeep that Jeep has sold in the last two decades and suddenly you get into an all new Jeep that has an obvious difference to it...then yeah I'd say that makes you qualified to point out the difference.

Why is this so hard to understand? Do I need to borrow my son's Crayola box and draw a picture?

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
Why is this so hard to understand? Do I need to borrow my son's Crayola box and draw a picture?
I'm a visual sorta guy, so I like pictures :cwl:
Sponsored