Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Since when does the front bumper caps have anything to do with "water or mud to the rear of the vehicle"!?
Probably zero. The Utah one however..
That was in reference to the poster who was referring to the fender flares. There is no code in California that covers the width of the front bumper. Only that it has to be there to prevent impact to the body, and a stubby would still be legal.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Early in my build concept, one of the things that I agreed with myself upon was to keep the OEM "look" to the extent that was possible. The steel factory bumpers were on the list to "stay". I have beefed up the rear bumper mounts with ARS/MC parts to help it better handle a drop from a ledge so I am still happy with my choice.
Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper BD (Cowl + Bumper)

EDIT:

I had a few folks ask me about the rear brackets, so I wanted to add some information here to help those who may have questions. Happy to answer any that you may have:

The brackets for the OEM steel rear bumper are these - https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-rear-metal-bumper-braces.html

Installation instructions can be found here - https://images.metalcloak.com/KMS/P...-Bumper-Edition-Installation-Instructions.pdf

A photo of them installed (lower guards not installed yet):

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 20220606_174443

The OEM are very thin (less than 3/32" thick) and will bend very easily. These brackets (about 1/4" thick) will better support the OEM steel bumper so that if you drop it on a something (within reason), it will not bend into the body of the Jeep.

A few thoughts from my install:

1. You do not have to remove the bumper.

2. You will be replacing two of the OEM brackets (4 total - two on each side) with the new brackets from ARS/MC:

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 2022_07_20_19_13_52_Slide_1_and_6_more_pages_Personal_Microsoft_Edge

3. There are some "christmas tree" style retainers provided by ARS/MC to hold the lower plastic inner fender guard in place on the outer bracket. These are pretty cheezy and will break in short order (they go in the areas circled in red). I am about to install some rivnuts in those areas (6 total) and use bolts to secure the guards. If you are thinking you want to do the same, then install the rivnuts before you install the brackets--it will be a lot easier. I am using M5 rivnuts and button head hex bolts along with a fender washer + lock washer (all in stainless steel).

4. For the inner bracket, there are two nuts that go into studs (built into the bumper) that are REALLY hard to get to and a 12 point 16mm combination wrench (that you can "double wrench") to tighten them will make the job much easier. I only had a 6pt combination wrench and it was really tedious. You can see those nuts in the photo that I posted (near the red tow loop).

5. You do have to enlarge the holes on the lower fender guard for the christmas tree fasteners to go in, but if you use rivnuts and bolts, it will not be necessary to do that.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
California Vehicle Code Section 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
That is referring to mud flaps, splash guards, and fender flares and has 0 bearing on the front bumper though? As far as the Utah law, it is specific on the bumper being track width. I'm still not putting the end caps back on, but you do you.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
That is referring to mud flaps, splash guards, and fender flares and has 0 bearing on the front bumper though? As far as the Utah law, it is specific on the bumper being track width. I'm still not putting the end caps back on, but you do you.
Yeah as I said in another post, that was in reference to someone commenting on fender flares and that there is no law in California regarding the bumper width.

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Still waiting for my JLUR to come in, delivery any day now, but I will be running caps off. And after a very short while, I'll probably upgrade to a very minimalist stubby bumper. I like the look, but mostly I want the approach angle.

I'm in AZ, we're the wild west out here. Once of those states that someone mentioned you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet... and mud flaps are only necessary on full size pickups that have been lifted, or commercial vehicles.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I can’t find that in a single vehicle code in any state. There are a couple that say full body width, but on a Jeep that would be very debatable as the fender flares are not the body. That would rule out the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers as well. Not saying it isn’t stated somewhere in some obscure states vehicle code but I‘m not seeing it.
I know Washington state has the bumper must be vehicle width in it's vehicle code, I've been pulled over years ago for specfically that. Washington has vehicle code that says if they can see the axle below the bumper, it has to have mudflaps covering the width of the tire also. But that's a statue that they use to get you to the side of the road so they can inspect for other infractions. Good friends in the State Patrol (retired) now working for King County told us all about training. Friend's dad is a retired trooper, daughter and her husband recently retired from the State to get more pay working for the Sheriff's office.

Idaho has the tire must not extend past the body rule, VERY loosely enforced. Have to have huge tires and exceed vehicle width limitations before they do anything about it.

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I live in a very rural area with WAY too many deer. I leave them on and have the bull bar with it.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Is track width measured on the exterior, or in the middle of the track. Cause that would change and explain things?
Track is the outside width of the tires.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
And not sure if it’s the picture and I know it fits both ways as I also have that one, but the mopar hoop is intended to lean towards the front, not the rear.
I am guessing he is running Maximus-3 hoop as it looks thicker than the Mopar one. Maximus-3 version allows it to be mounted either direction.

I am running no end caps. Took them off shortly after I got a year ago and they've been in the basement ever since. Better approach angles on trails so it will stay that way.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I know Washington state has the bumper must be vehicle width in it's vehicle code, I've been pulled over years ago for specfically that. Washington has vehicle code that says if they can see the axle below the bumper, it has to have mudflaps covering the width of the tire also. But that's a statue that they use to get you to the side of the road so they can inspect for other infractions. Good friends in the State Patrol (retired) now working for King County told us all about training. Friend's dad is a retired trooper, daughter and her husband recently retired from the State to get more pay working for the Sheriff's office.

Idaho has the tire must not extend past the body rule, VERY loosely enforced. Have to have huge tires and exceed vehicle width limitations before they do anything about it.
Again, we are talking front bumpers here. In stubby configuration, the bumper is still the width of the body not including the fender flares. Utah seems to be the only state that calls out bumpers vs track width. Tire coverage/ fender flares is an entirely different matter as most laws I've read specify controlling the spray to the rear and you'd be hard pressed to claim the front bumper is remotely involved there. The way the CA law is worded, simply stating "sufficient" to control the spray of mud/water to the rear, a good lawyer will get you out of that ticket so long as it wasn't raining. If there's no mud or water present any/no fender coverage at all is sufficient for controlling the spray.
Sponsored