Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
California Vehicle Code Section 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
I lived in California for 20 years; drove Jeeps for fifteen of those. I was never, nor did I ever see anyone else get pulled over for the tires sticking past the fenders.
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I canā€™t find that in a single vehicle code in any state. There are a couple that say full body width, but on a Jeep that would be very debatable as the fender flares are not the body. That would rule out the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers as well. Not saying it isnā€™t stated somewhere in some obscure states vehicle code but Iā€˜m not seeing it.
Most modern vehicles no longer come with external bumpers anyway, only hidden crash beams. Afaik, the bolted-on end caps wouldn't qualify as being a structural crash beam, so I don't see why it would matter.

Not 100% decided, but plan on removing mine just because I think it looks a lot better. My biggest concern is roll-off damage to the tires and front fender from a deer strike. Really don't think they would help much with the fenders, though.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I lived in California for 20 years; drove Jeeps for fifteen of those. I was never, nor did I ever see anyone else get pulled over for the tires sticking past the fenders.
I've been here all my life and driving for 32 years and never seen that either. I also tint my front windows and never have had a front plate on, with no issues. I was just posting that to show that there is a vehicle code that covers it, but that doesn't mean it's enforced regularly, other than for a pretext stop.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Really uh.... Didn't know that. So some States have those rules while others let you ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Anyways, so technically, those with negative offset wheels are also breaking these rules?!?
It's even stranger than that. Utah has rather strict vehicle configuration rules AND lets you ride a motorcycle without a helmet AND allows OHVs to be driven on public roads with a speed limit of 49 MPH or less.

Yes, technically negative offset wheels are breaking the rules. However in practice "close enough" is good enough, especially in regard to bumpers. Since extra wide bumpers aren't made, as long as they're full width they're OK. Stubbys are not.

Since someone will mention Jeeps they saw in Moab, those Jeeps are trailered on public roads. Not driven.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I canā€™t find that in a single vehicle code in any state. There are a couple that say full body width, but on a Jeep that would be very debatable as the fender flares are not the body. That would rule out the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers as well. Not saying it isnā€™t stated somewhere in some obscure states vehicle code but Iā€˜m not seeing it.
Utah Vehicle Code:
Effective 5/12/2015
41-6a-1632. Bumpers.

(1)A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper on both front and rear of the motor vehicle, except a motor vehicle that was not originally designed or manufactured with a bumper or bumpers.
(2)
(a)On a motor vehicle required to have bumpers under Subsection (1), a bumper shall be:
(i)at least 4.5 inches in vertical height;
(ii)centered on the vehicle's center line; and
(iii)extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distance.
(b)A bumper shall be securely mounted, horizontal load bearing, and attached to the motor vehicle's frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.
(3)If a motor vehicle is originally or later equipped with a bumper, the bumper shall:
(a)be maintained in operational condition; and
(b)comply with this section.
(4)A violation of this section is an infraction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Utah Vehicle Code:
Effective 5/12/2015
41-6a-1632. Bumpers.

(1)A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper on both front and rear of the motor vehicle, except a motor vehicle that was not originally designed or manufactured with a bumper or bumpers.
(2)
(a)On a motor vehicle required to have bumpers under Subsection (1), a bumper shall be:
(b)A bumper shall be securely mounted, horizontal load bearing, and attached to the motor vehicle's frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.
(3)If a motor vehicle is originally or later equipped with a bumper, the bumper shall:
It takes 2 minutes to remove/install them with a power tool. The intent is to have full width protection/look when driving on the road, and can be removed when maximum clearance is needed ie offroad. Which one "looks" better is totally subjective and do as you want. If I were you, how others do and their reasonings/motivations should not matter.

Oh I totally agree, but I respect others opinions when Iā€™m on the fence about something, looking for arguments that might make the balance tip over.

It is a beauty and not at the same time since if I didnā€™t have the choice, I wouldnā€™t be overthinking this.

Me, when I have a choice, I keep wondering between set-ups. Iā€™m going through the same thing with my RR snorkelā€¦ on or off and same with my bumper hoops, I have the Warn mid-height and mopar shortšŸ˜µā€šŸ’« there must be help or medication for thatšŸ’ŠšŸ¤£ I must be damned.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I left mine on, mostly because I don't want to chip bolts and give rust a head start, being in the salt belt.

Think one major reason for having them on is if in a accident the Jeep would be more inclined to drive over any vehicle it hits tire first, vs with a bumper end. Think of driving up a obstacle off road, without the ends you can tackle a taller obstacle to drive up.

Regards,
Jim

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Utah Vehicle Code:
Effective 5/12/2015
41-6a-1632. Bumpers.

(2)
Is track width measured on the exterior, or in the middle of the track. Cause that would change and explain things?

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I have the steel bumper on my Sahara and keep the wings on since I do a lot of highway driving, it's a bit of extra protection.

It's easy enough to remove when I hit the trail, which I do 100% of the time.

So for me, stubby mode = trail mode.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is track width measured on the exterior, or in the middle of the track. Cause that would change and explain things?
Yeah, its the center of the tread. Not full tread. Nevertheless, the real-world bottom line is the same. Full width OK, Stubby is not.

It's fender flares and mud flaps that must cover tread width. Yes, in UT mud flaps are required on vehicles with modified suspension or tire size. It's pretty much the reason why Rockblokz exists (a UT company).

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
California Vehicle Code Section 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
Since when does the front bumper caps have anything to do with "water or mud to the rear of the vehicle"!?
Probably zero. The Utah one however..