Sponsored

Question about doors coming off frequently

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
So back in the TJ days I always removed the bolts holding the doors to make it easier to take the doors off easier. I was never to worried about the doors being stolen, and by dumb luck I never had a problem.

That brings me to the new JLU... Now that we have the screw on the inside of the door that holds the little thing that keeps the door from swinging open it seems much more secure. Are any of you only putting that screw in to hold the doors in place when putting your door back on? Am I going to run into any problems by not securing the bolts to the hinges during the summer. Just seems unneeded at this point in time.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
I've had the bottom bolts out for the last couple of months with no problems at all.

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Think I had the bottom nuts out on my JK for 5 yrs. I may try to finally take doors of the JL this weekend.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had all the bolts out for 4 years with my JKUR. No issues whatsoever. And, these new doors are so much easier to get back on! Love it! Only wish there were better full soft doors to keep in the back for sudden rain showers.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Not sure how much more secure one bolt is. If the bottom door bolts are off and the doors are locked (windows up), no one is getting the doors off. If you have the Jeep unlocked and windows down and no bottom door bolts, how is 1 extra little bolt going to stop someone if they really want to steal them. Figure if someone is stealing your doors, they are somewhat professionals that have some black market to sell them, no petty thief is stealing Jeep doors. If they are professionals and they really want a set of JL doors, bank they will be carrying a torx wrench to unscrew that one doorcheck bolt.

Bottom line? Don't worry about it, I'll be taking my bolts off for the summer for quicker door removal.

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
I have had my door's off a couple times so far. I have left the hinge bolts off but replaced the one bolt at the strap . Works fine with no issues.

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I took the bolts off my JKU and LJ as soon as I got them. They never went back on. I did the same for my JLU.

I'm not worried about it. If someone is intending on stealing my doors, they're going to have the tools to take the doors off themselves. With a drill, it takes < 30 seconds to remove all the bolts.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So back in the TJ days I always removed the bolts holding the doors to make it easier to take the doors off easier. I was never to worried about the doors being stolen, and by dumb luck I never had a problem.

That brings me to the new JLU... Now that we have the screw on the inside of the door that holds the little thing that keeps the door from swinging open it seems much more secure. Are any of you only putting that screw in to hold the doors in place when putting your door back on? Am I going to run into any problems by not securing the bolts to the hinges during the summer. Just seems unneeded at this point in time.

Thoughts?
One of the first things I have taken off all my Jeeps, just make sure you put them somewhere you can find them if you ever get rid of the Jeep.

sprk33

First Name
Joseph Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
I took the bottom bolts out and put in the holder in the back of the jeep.....They will stay off....The door stop will hold door secure along with the straps.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I left the nuts off of the door hing bolts of my TJ for 5 years. Never had problems until one night a fine young gentlemen decided to cut a hole in the soft top, reach in and unlock the driver’s door, and then made off with them.

Long story short, I ended up finding them on Craigslist, cops help to set up a sting, and justice was served.

I won’t be making a habit of leaving my JL doors unsecured.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
I had the hinge bolts off my JK for as long as I owned it. I haven’t taken the doors off my JL yet. The bolts probably won’t go back on after the doors come off the first time.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Have any of you had problems putting the bolts back in after such long periods? Rust? Or have you just not bothered, because :jk::captain::rock::like:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
All bolts off but the door stop position bolt. If anyone reaches in and opens the door from the inside, the alarm sounds.
Sponsored