Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler Diesel Gets Canceled in 2022??

WIll they keep the diesel?

• Total voters
OP
OP
brandonh

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
This is a great thread. Very eye opening. The up charge on the diesel is $3500 (or something like this). Looks like I will be saving money by staying away from the diesel.
Good grief. That’s a lot. Preferably I’ll wrather have a PHEV Wrangler.Feds May give a tax credit on PHEV wrangler. They should make it soon. Maybe 2020 or 2021. Not sure how big the battery will be maybe 7-10 kwh.
Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Yesterday, Mercedes-Benz and other companies are producing new diesel engines of different sizes within Europe and this shows that they have a reading of the future!

JacksonHole4X4

First Name
@JH4X4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
i have had 3 Diesel trucks 1 Ford and 2 Ram's, So glad I went back to a Gas engine. All the restrictions they put on the Motors is like a SLOW hanging..
Not going to look back, and my new 3.6 is getting 21 mpg Avg unless I'm running the Mountain Pass to Idaho.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Outside of rock climbing or dealing with hills is diesel providing any other advantages? I’m just getting into diesels so this all may be wrong.

What I’m thinking:
Ability to get fuel during a crisis such as before or after a hurricane. Without long lines.

Perceived understanding diesels outlast gas engines. I can put 20k plus miles a year on a vehicle and looking to keep this Jeep until they bury me.

Small increase in MPG under stock emissions.

Increased distance on a full tank. Assuming the tank didn’t shrink to make room for diesel related emission restrictions.

Ability to delete those restricting emissions and increase MPG, HP and torque. Off-road, obviously. :)

No subwoofer needed. The engine will rumble your behind.

That unmistakeable sound.

Then there’s that thing. Just Cool.

Jeep really going to get rid of all that when they took so long to bring it. Soot poop, say me.

Last edited:

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I had both a 91 ram with a cummins diesel 2wd, 2 door, 8' bed and currently own a 2016 ram 1500 4x4 4dr 6',4" bed with the 3.0 Diesel. The 91 ram got me 22mpg all around driving and the 2016 averages 28.5 mpg. driving the same 24 mile commute. It's 1/2 highway driving 80 mph and 1/2 stop and go city. I do have the GDE tune and it gained me about 3 mpg. I like the 3.0 but there is a lot of bottom end catastrophic failures being reported due to lack of oil supplied to the bearings under certain load conditions. I plan to stay away from Diesel until that is 100% taken care of. I would think this gen 2.0 engine is better in this aspect and I'm confident FCA knows of this problem in Gen 1. My trade in value on my 2016 is Crap due to their reliability issues and greed not to address the fix. BTW the 3.0 is pretty quite for a diesel

Last edited:

Sponsored

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Outside of rock climbing or dealing with hills is diesel providing any other advantages? I’m just getting into diesels so this all may be wrong.

What I’m thinking:
Ability to get fuel during a crisis such as before or after a hurricane. Without long lines.

Perceived understanding diesels outlast gas engines. I can put 20k plus miles a year on a vehicle and looking to keep this Jeep until they bury me.

Increased distance on a full tank. Assuming the tank didn’t shrink to make room for diesel related emission restrictions.

Ability to delete those restricting emissions and increase MPG, HP and torque. Off-road, obviously. :)

Jeep really going to get rid of all that when they took so long to bring it. Soot poop, say me.
Your comment about fuel availability during, before or after an event got me thinking. These emissions compliant diesels have to run ULSD fuel. Old school diesel fuel, kerosene, jet fuel, or other nonstandard fuels will destroy either part or all of the engines. You may be able to find regular diesel fuel as normal, but do not try using something else.

If you want to make sure you can fill up anywhere, make sure the filler hole where you put the pump nozzle will accept a high-flow nozzle. Pre-06 trucks mostly had a standard diesel size hole that while larger than an unleaded hole, would not take the high-flow nozzles used by tractor trailers at truck stops. If I recall correctly, all 07-newer pickups using diesel will accept the high-flow nozzles. I don’t know about the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or the Jeep vehicles with the Eco or previous diesel.

An example of how the high-flow helps is my Ram 2500 has a 32 gallon tank. It takes half the time to fill up on a high-flow that it does at a regular diesel pump. More time to get coffee.

There is no soot on an engine with all the emissions gear hooked up.

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
AF6411D7-527B-4E59-A724-FB7D37925161.jpeg
A8A3C535-2EF3-4286-96B3-BD8078A7F067.jpeg
6678B539-F57A-4056-9138-5C727AD69EEC.jpeg

Here is an EGR, crossover tube and cooler with 70,000 in a Ram 1500. This is what we have to look forward too in the 3.0 eco diesel . EGR clogged causing Mass air flow codes.
A power washer will fix that up, clean as a whistle :)

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Saw pressure washing a DPF on YouTube. Can it really be that simple?

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I was joking.

but maybe? ;)
They reversed flow the dirt by pushing water from the exhaust side. Apparently something done by the truckers. How feasible it is to remove and reinstall on a Jeep might be the biggest cost. Assuming the DPF on the Jeep is of the same design. I’m still trying to get up to speed with all this acronyms.

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
By the way this guy pours the water into the engine !!

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
By the way this guy pours the water into the engine !!

What relevance does this video have with to this topic? LOL. Please no one here should do this with a modern diesel engine.

Oh I see this is an old thread. Oh well. Maybe I just saved Cleetus' ecodiesel :LOL:

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon

What I’m thinking:

I bought mine so my wife could tow our ATV while I pulled the travel trailer, engines last longer, better fuel economy, and I love diesel engines.
Sponsored