Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
My wife mentioned the steering wheel locked up for a second on her last week. Turning right at a stop light. Has not happened since. Rubicon, 950 miles.
Sponsored

macjlru

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
We’re having a major issue. Please watch and comment if you have anything related.

I just experiance this this morning. Looked at the video of yours and we have one other parameter in common that might have somthing to do with it. My tire pressure was low this morning. Living in colorado tire pressure change in the mornings then go back to normal when driving a bit. Altitude is a factor as well. This may help in duplicating the fault. I will be letting the dealer know as soon as work scheduel agrees. Since this was the first time it happend to me and i drive this route daily, the tires being low today may be a factor.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
My wife mentioned the steering wheel locked up for a second on her last week. Turning right at a stop light. Has not happened since. Rubicon, 950 miles.
I only noticed it rarely at first, but it happened a lot the two days before I brought it in to dealership yesterday.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
I just experiance this this morning. Looked at the video of yours and we have one other parameter in common that might have somthing to do with it. My tire pressure was low this morning. Living in colorado tire pressure change in the mornings then go back to normal when driving a bit. Altitude is a factor as well. This may help in duplicating the fault. I will be letting the dealer know as soon as work scheduel agrees. Since this was the first time it happend to me and i drive this route daily, the tires being low today may be a factor.
my tires are set from factory, so definitely not low

rubydoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I had this happen a few times when I was wheeling but I assumed it was just overheating and temporarily lost power steering power. It felt like a car without power steering. I was able to turn but I had to put a TON of force into it

EDIT: and now that I think about it, it happened on right turns

Last edited:

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
For the fifth time, file an NHTSA complaint, guys. Jeep isn't likely to do a voluntary recall and fix without them, and if they don't, y'all are gonna be hearing a whole lot of "could not replicate issue" from your local, extremely professional Jeep Dodge Chrysler RAM Fiat dealership.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
For the fifth time, file an NHTSA complaint, guys. Jeep isn't likely to do a voluntary recall and fix without them, and if they don't, y'all are gonna be hearing a whole lot of "could not replicate issue" from your local, extremely professional Jeep Dodge Chrysler RAM Fiat dealership.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Filed yesterday:)

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
So, this is sounding more like a design flaw than a manufacturing flaw only affecting a few... I guess that means even current, May 2018 builds are gonna be susceptible to this...

is it straight up dangerous-feeling, guys? My commute is 70mph canyon highway curves. If a 2018 Jeep poses a straight up risk to my life... well... I can wait until 2019 if need be.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Just heard from dealer. Dropped off yesterday afternoon, close to closing time. Before I left they had already pulled it out into the parking lot and parked it for the evening. Don't have a clue what time they started doing their diagnostic tests, but just got a call at 11:57 a.m. and said they can't duplicate the problem, of course. Then asked if there was some type of data recorder they could put on there and he said no, never heard of that. I only asked about that because I believe I read on this thread there was such a device. They probably spent all of five minutes trying to figure it out. I gave them additional things to look at, Sirius cutting in and out, the controls on the back of the steering column don't control the radio like they're supposed to, door creaking, and headliners falling off. So somebody please tell me how they looked at all of those issues and fixed them this morning.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Keep taking it back. After three visits. Open a lemon law case. Don’t forget about reporting it to NHTSA. They might suddenly be able to duplicate. Don’t sweat it. Get legal. Make them build better cars and do the right thing. This is crazy.

Here’s an idea. Tell them you want to take their kids for a ride in the mountains around cliffs at 60 plus miles an hour. Hopefully you can’t duplicate.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just heard from dealer. Dropped off yesterday afternoon, close to closing time. Before I left they had already pulled it out into the parking lot and parked it for the evening. Don't have a clue what time they started doing their diagnostic tests, but just got a call at 11:57 a.m. and said they can't duplicate the problem, of course. Then asked if there was some type of data recorder they could put on there and he said no, never heard of that. I only asked about that because I believe I read on this thread there was such a device. They probably spent all of five minutes trying to figure it out. I gave them additional things to look at, Sirius cutting in and out, the controls on the back of the steering column don't control the radio like they're supposed to, door creaking, and headliners falling off. So somebody please tell me how they looked at all of those issues and fixed them this morning.
It's simple: Jeep dealerships have no integrity or professionalism, and only care to sell the heaps, not stand behind them. It makes you really uneasy to support them with an expensive purchase, knowing the lack of ethics, even for the car industry.

If my local FCA dealership caught fire I'd probably cheer it on.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Ok, this S#!T is getting real! Just experienced two complete lock ups within a span of about 30 minutes. Everything before was just a hiccup compared to these! For almost three seconds, I could not turn the wheel coming out of a turn! I commented on my last post that I'm afraid the dealer won't be able to replicate, and now after reading what Ybohannon said, I'm probably going to get the same result. I have already filed with NHTSA, others who have yet to, please do so! This is a SAFETY ISSUE! There is a link in previous post on here, it is very quick. Thanks.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Someone enlighten me. Obviously, JeepCares is monitoring this forum. They have been reaching out to some of us, so wouldn't that mean FCA is aware?

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Someone enlighten me. Obviously, JeepCares is monitoring this forum. They have been reaching out to some of us, so wouldn't that mean FCA is aware?
FCA is aware for sure. On another forum, a user mentioned that they bought out his affected JL to tear down and inspect.
Sponsored