Sponsored

Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I know you don't want to hear this, but if quality of life is that big of an issue, leave. This is America. You're not "stuck" anywhere.

relationship.jpg
You know what? It's easier for you to say. If it is not conducive for you to provide advice at least do me a favor - shut up and keep your irrelevant comments to yourself. Don't come here acting smart and arrogant with some stupid statement for some situation that you don't even understand.

My question and fears are real. Or either stick to the topic and don't be sanctimonious or shut up. Of course I know this is America and I am not taking things for granted. However, here is a suggestion, how about you positively contribute to our wonderful country by being supportive instead of just spilling some nonsensical yap to a legit question that was asked here!

People that know me here knows that i don't usually get angry at many of the postings here but your comment really irked me.
Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Get a super cheap beater Civic or similar (corolla, cruze, focus) and keep your Jeep in a safe place. :)

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
This doesn't sound like a real thing 🙃
More than likely someone pissed off someone else and got tires slashed and the media (or possibly just one individual) exaggerated the problem into these eco terrorists armed with switchblade knives and attacking all the tires they can find in the name of eco justice.
goofy.jpg

Could this be the culprit ?
Pinky it's real. It has happened in New York City and Boston (I think Atlanta too). I read about it early this year where they would just deflate the tire (with instruction from the group itself such as using a lentil bean to push the tire valve and let the air out.) Some of these incidents have caused accident.

This decentralized movement started in UK in 2021 and spread via Twitter and Facebook (they have their own website where activist can download pamphlets and instructions. Many owners in UK, Europe and even to New Zealand had their tire deflated (some were slashed). If you are curious to find out more - try googling "Tyre Extinguishers " (British English spelling for Tire). They usually target about 40 vehicles per session.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Find a rock and crawl under it.
Love from NJ.
Hahaha that is why I moved to NJ over 10 years ago. I still have to go into NYC now and then for my work - and I usually park in the garage (it's crazy to find parking anywhere in Midtiwn and I just expense the cost) NJ with all its bullshit 😉 provides me with the padding and the flexibility of not dealing with NYC. I am under a big rock.

I have maximum coverage for my Jeep. However, there are certain areas in NYC where people will not even stop when the light is red, especially those food delivery people, or those in e-bike or motorcycles.

Mind you, I am happy for the people that are living in NYC but I am glad that I am not living there now.

As for the suggestions of using a dog as a deterrent - don't think that my two pups will fit the category (no sir no bully mix for me)

Jeep Wrangler JL Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political) 20220613_134055

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This doesn't sound like a real thing 🙃
More than likely someone pissed off someone else and got tires slashed and the media (or possibly just one individual) exaggerated the problem into these eco terrorists armed with switchblade knives and attacking all the tires they can find in the name of eco justice.
Jeep Wrangler JL Any ideas to counter/prevent Jeep tires from being slashed? (non political) 20220613_134055

Could this be the culprit ?
These lefty groups get stirred up pretty easy by community organizer groups. This was a thing 15 years ago when the ELF and similar groups were going around and damaging Hummers and Excursions. When they couldn't find enough of those it spread to almost any full size SUV.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Lentil control, now!

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
The Daily Mail is a tabloid and you’re more likely to lose your tires than get them slashed (although both are unlikely in Midtown). You’re entitled to your feelings but Wranglers are a dime a dozen in NYC and you can always garage it or use mass transit if seriously concerned.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
You know what? It's easier for you to say.
Okay, then I'll say it too because I can back it up. @Retrograde is not wrong. You're correct that it's a smart statement, but it's not arrogant.

I left New Jersey & a "golden handcuffs" NYC financial job. Took a 50% salary cut. Quality of life improved 10-fold. Best life move I've ever made. I'm now the go-to guy to guide people out of the NYC area. In fact, I'm helping someone through a move to Texas right now over a 6-month plan.

So to answer your question:
  1. Stop reading the fear-bait news cycle. Life is much better without it.
  2. Garage your Jeep.
  3. Get insurance that covers slashed tires and other acts of inane vandalism.
    (Believe it or not, you probably won't need to use it)
  4. Re-establish common sense.
For a more complete solution, escape the fear-bait echo chamber that is NJ. It can sometimes take a little time but it is not insurmountable.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You know what? It's easier for you to say. If it is not conducive for you to provide advice at least do me a favor - shut up and keep your irrelevant comments to yourself. Don't come here acting smart and arrogant with some stupid statement for some situation that you don't even understand.

My question and fears are real. Or either stick to the topic and don't be sanctimonious or shut up. Of course I know this is America and I am not taking things for granted. However, here is a suggestion, how about you positively contribute to our wonderful country by being supportive instead of just spilling some nonsensical yap to a legit question that was asked here!

People that know me here knows that i don't usually get angry at many of the postings here but your comment really irked me.
I didn't take that post the way you did at all, IMO he was just saying there's a way to avoid what's going on and that may require a relocation. But maybe I got that post all wrong???

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I left New Jersey & a "golden handcuffs" NYC financial job.
Took a 50% salary cut.
Quality of life improved 10-fold.
Best life move I've ever made.
+1 to the bolded text. I did the same in 2012, for reasons that were my own but are also not entirely unrelated to the sentiment in the quoted post.

And every time that I might feel a bit envious of certain Wrangler builds on this forum that I can't easily afford, I remind myself that being untethered is better. It's better every day, and in every way.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I’ve been to NYC several times. You couldn’t pay me to live there.
Right!! Coming from someone that lives in Washington State!! Your political climate leaves much to be desired too! You don't even have to pay me to stay where you are - I would rather shoot myself if I have to stay in WA. So yeah pot - you are not in a better predicament either! - Kettle

The Daily Mail is a tabloid and you’re more likely to lose your tires than get them slashed (although both are unlikely in Midtown). You’re entitled to your feelings but Wranglers are a dime a dozen in NYC and you can always garage it or use mass transit if seriously concerned.
My bad for quoting thr tabloid page. Should have not done that. BUT just in case you would like more VERIFIABLE information - here! I am SURE that one of these links will please you.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/climate-activists-deflate-tires-on-40-suvs-in-nyc/

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/tire-deflate-nyc-protest-b2114042.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cl...ns-suv-tires-nyc-say-major-cities-us-hit-next

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/tyre-extinguishers-climate-protesters-target-7214069

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-60660711

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dg7qn/who-are-the-tyre-extinguishers

And no - I rather not get killed in NYC using mass transit than parking my car in the garage (if you read my post this is not just an issue in NYC) i am really glad that I can afford $60 a day parking in midtown (no I am not that cheap to do the 7am early bird specials).

And may I point out that part of the reason those asswipe are slashing the tires was because they want people to take mass transportation. You go ahead and do it. I don't have to.

Okay, then I'll say it too because I can back it up. @Retrograde is not wrong. You're correct that it's a smart statement, but it's not arrogant.

I left New Jersey & a "golden handcuffs" NYC financial job. Took a 50% salary cut. Quality of life improved 10-fold. Best life move I've ever made. I'm now the go-to guy to guide people out of the NYC area. In fact, I'm helping someone through a move to Texas right now over a 6-month plan.

So to answer your question:
  1. Stop reading the fear-bait news cycle. Life is much better without it.
  2. Garage your Jeep.
  3. Get insurance that covers slashed tires and other acts of inane vandalism.
    (Believe it or not, you probably won't need to use it)
  4. Re-establish common sense.
For a more complete solution, escape the fear-bait echo chamber that is NJ. It can sometimes take a little time but it is not insurmountable.
I hear ya! First, even some of my viewpoints might align with some in Texas, i would shoot myself rather than moving to that state. I have plans to move to somewhere that is more moderate.

1. i added more news links for your perusal.
2. I do as I stated in my previous post (you would know if you read them)
3. I got maximum coverage for my Jeep and not at all worried about it being destroyed. I will just get my insurange to fix it and if I am not happy - I will just buy a new one. Not a problem. Like you said inane vandalism sucks and that is more of my concern than having tobpay for parts or a new Jeep. It is just unnessary. And besides I love my 2 Dr. Rubi very much. And I am waiting for my 4 Dr's JLUR XR Gobi to arrive anyday now. Yes! Needless say it will have full coverage.
4. Unless you are walking in someone shoes, how about stop judging. If you think that what you are doing is "common sense" heh well then, i beg to differ. Not everyone have the same priorities - you dont know me and I dont know you - so lets try to assume so much eh.

i am where I am for another five years due to some contractual obligations - and believe me I will immediately be moving away when I am done. Just like how I moved away from Texas three days after graduating from my graduate school. Long term planning, i will be able to retire way comfortably than the current retirement age median. That is my motivation - and I am aiming for it.

+1 to the bolded text. I did the same in 2012, for reasons that were my own but are also not entirely unrelated to the sentiment in the quoted post.

And every time that I might feel a bit envious of certain Wrangler builds on this forum that I can't easily afford, I remind myself that being untethered is better. It's better every day, and in every way.
I respect you for saying that. Each of us have different motivation and needs. The main thing is that you are happy with your life. And no amount of money can buy that. Or anyone can tell you what is right or wrong. So kudos to you (I am not being sarcastic)

One comment that I would like to make. When i first joined this forum it used to be such a helpful place. But now it seems most of the response to genuinely serious postings are hardly helpful (at least in general Jeep discussions). There is this gang mentality that is out to make fun or bullying others for posting just for their amusements. I noticwd that many others ceased posting here because most of the comment are not helpful. I regret making this post!! Lessons learned! I guess good things don't last. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Fourth. :like:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.