Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
hey everyone.

I got the dual top option with my JLUR, and when I installed the soft top over the weekend I noticed 4 straps. 2 have a snap, and 2 are Velcro. Any idea what these are for?

TIA
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
hey everyone.

I got the dual top option with my JLUR, and when I installed the soft top over the weekend I noticed 4 straps. 2 have a snap, and 2 are Velcro. Any idea what these are for?

TIA
Two with snaps are for rolling up the rear window (there are snaps in the back). The Velcro is for securing the sunrider top.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
hey everyone.

TIA
Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to install the soft top? And you do you need to remove all of the soft top tracks, etc. to put the hard top back on? Or do you just remove the soft top itself?

OP
OP
Schmeegz

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two with snaps are for rolling up the rear window (there are snaps in the back). The Velcro is for securing the sunrider top.
So you are supposed to roll the back window and snap it to something in the cargo area? Nice!

OP
OP
Schmeegz

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to install the soft top? And you do you need to remove all of the soft top tracks, etc. to put the hard top back on? Or do you just remove the soft top itself?
Yes the surrounds need to be removed to reinstall the hardtop. But you don’t need to take them apart. The brackets that attach to the inside of the roll cage in the back can stay on tho. Took me about an hour or so. Granted was with my neighbor, having a few beers, and goin step by step to a 19 min YouTube video by quadratec.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So you are supposed to roll the back window and snap it to something in the cargo area? Nice!
stick your head in the back and look at the soft top frame rail that runs across the top back of the Jeep. You will see the two snaps for those to pop into. That is how Jeeps have been for a while but I am not sure how easily this window will roll up with the new design. If you were to try please realize that rolling up the window and slipping these stretch loop straps around the ends can cause scratches in the window more easily. It is better to remove it completely.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I didn't realize you could roll up the new back window. Aren't there straps to hold the top down when it's folded back?

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
You could roll up a JK window because of the zippers. I would not recommend rolling up a JL window. The tabs on the side do not bend easily and it would likely ruin the window. I have not found much of a use for the button straps. If anyone has - please share.

OP
OP
Schmeegz

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The straps aren’t long enough to tie the back down with. And with the new tongue and groove system, the windows can’t roll up. So I am back to not knowing what these 4 do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Schmeegz

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve just been laying down the back seat and laying all the windows flat

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The straps aren’t long enough to tie the back down with. And with the new tongue and groove system, the windows can’t roll up. So I am back to not knowing what these 4 do.
Past models you would roll the window up and then slip the looped strap around each rolled up end to secure it in that position. This is not really an option with this new soft top design. My thought is they have been doing it this way for years and continued to include them but possibly not really test this with the new top. Really there is no reason to install and or use these.

The Velcro straps are used when you flip the top back but do not drop it all the way down. You wrap the Velcro strap around the hinged soft top frame to secure it and keep it from bouncing around up top while you drive around.

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have rolled up the JLU back window with no issues at all. in fact I find it faster and easier to do than I did in the JKU.

Pop out the sides and 2 bottom parts and roll. Previously had to fight with zipper to go up on both sides.

OP
OP
Schmeegz

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have rolled up the JLU back window with no issues at all. in fact I find it faster and easier to do than I did in the JKU.

Pop out the sides and 2 bottom parts and roll. Previously had to fight with zipper to go up on both sides.
I honestly don’t see the point of rolling up the back window. The amount of time it takes id rather just remove it and drop the whole top

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are edge cases to do this. Like picking up a 48"x36" (could have been bigger) cabinet and the lowered soft top would just be in the way
Sponsored