Factory extended warranty worth it?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Are the Chrysler Jeep factory extended warranties worth it that the dealerships sell to you when buying a Jeep?

I always turn them down. Never once had one. But this time when buying my Jeep i got talked into it. Only said no 15 times. Lol. But they cut the price in half so i said what the hell ok ill take it. Lol.

I got the second best one. I forgot what its called off the top of my head. Added care plus or something? The way it was explained to me it literally covers everything right down to the electrical. Damaged windshield replacement and everything. Even damaged tires. Free oil changes and maintenance.

Anyone have experience with this warranty? If so is it worth it. I have 30 days to decide to drop it. We'll like 18 now.

Also if I drop it do I get my money back? How does that work? Do they cut me a check?
Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Also very interested in this. I have had warrantees on other vehicles that have paid off very well (two separate ones were both $5K worth of work that I only had to pay $50 for), two of them were FCA (Dodge Durange, RAM 1500), but curious if the Jeep one is worth it.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I never use to believe in extended warranty policies. But with all of the electronics and probable failures on the way, I wouldn't be with out them.
Our JKR has the MOPAR Lifetime warranty policy on it. I am getting ready to look into a Mopar extended policy on our JLR. Plus it gives one piece of mind.
If we are honest about it, most that are not on Forums, probably don't even think about it. Why would they, because they don't have any exposer to the issues. But realistically, most are out there running, never have a failure. At least that is my guess.........

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
What was your cost if you don't mind me asking...
On the Lifetime Mopar Warranty policy, I purchased it at the end of the second year of my original policy. The longer one waits, the more it costs. Mine was $2,650. But the factory lost so much money on this extended warranty Policy, that they no longer offer it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
What was your cost if you don't mind me asking...
I don't remember off the top if my head the exactly price i ended up paying. I'll have to dig through the paperwork. I want to say $2kish maybe?

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I have factory extended warranties on both my '18 Grand Cherokee and my '22 JLUR, and as noted above, the cost of replacing just about anything electronic, even just once out of warranty, is likely to pay for it. Case in point was the 8.4 NAV in my previous '18 JLR. It took a crap, and the dealer replaced the entire unit under the 3/36 warranty. Had that happened out of warranty, it would have been an $1,800 hit. If you plan to keep your rig, I think they are worth it, but I wouldn't get anything other than the Mopar factory warranty. My '22 JLUR is not a daily driver, so I got the 8/85 $100 deductible MaxCare for $1,400.

Which reminds me- have any of you guys been getting my calls? I've been trying to reach you about your Jeep's warranty...

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
I don't remember off the top if my head the exactly price i ended up paying. I'll have to dig through the paperwork. I want to say $2kish maybe?
That's pretty high if you look at the quotes provided by vendors in other threads here. My dealer wanted $2500 for a 6-year extended warranty that was only good at their dealership. Nope.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
That seems like a lot for the Added Care extended service contract. Even though you said they cut the price in 1/2, it was still probably marked up quite a bit. FWIW https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ has the lowest prices on Mopar Extended Service Contracts. My local dealer told me flat out he couldn't beat their price. If you're going to get one, you should get the MaxCare. Read the fine print on your contract (page 8) and see if you can cancel it and repurchase a different plan (I don't see anything prohibiting this on my contract).

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I'm gonna be happy if mine is only around $2K. I've used the Ford one in the past, and it saved me a ton, but the one I just had to get for our Bronco was like $5K (granted we did the big one, 120,000 miles, we plan on keeping it forever). I think they're taking advantage of it being a first model year... cuz no way am I not gonna get the warranty.

Sponsored

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
I just purchased the 7 year unlimited mileage max care warranty for $2910 from Tom Winkels with
the $100 deductible.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For people that may not be able to handle an unexpected bill they might be okay. Not financially, by any means, but peace-of-mind wise. [but, if you can't handle an unexpected bill, how do you come up with the upfront cost?]

But...rational thinking says if it's worth it for you to buy, the provider will eventually (quickly) go out of business. Paying out more than you take in is a going-out-of-business strategy. Not sure how the pro-warranty people reconcile that math. And...that's just for claims. What about covering the provider's overhead?

But...people continue to buy them.

Last edited:

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Also if I drop it do I get my money back? How does that work? Do they cut me a check?
That sounds like the one I got. It added 100K miles (or 5 years) on top of my existing 35K miles for something like $2,000 and a $100 deductible. I paid it off in 15 monthly payments and then at month 17 my Jeep was totaled. The warranty company prorated the 17 months I used and sent me a $1,430 check for the unused 43 months. IMO totally worth it.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
It all depends how long you keep your Jeep. However mine ate it’s gear box in its sixth year. I was so happy to have the extended warranty. My 392 now has one for 8 years.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
For people that may not be able to handle an unexpected bill they might be okay. Not financially, by any means, but piece-of-mind wise. [but, if you can't handle an unexpected bill, how do you come up with the upfront cost?]

But...rational thinking says if it's worth it for you to buy, the provider will eventually (quickly) go out of business. Paying out more than you take in is a going-out-of-business strategy. Not sure how the pro-warranty people reconcile that math. And...that's just for claims. What about covering the provider's overhead?

But...people continue to buy them.
We paid $1700 for a 5 yr/100k Mopar MaxCare for my wife's Grand Cherokee. She drives about 25k mi/year so the factory bumper to bumper is already expired (in a year & 1/2). Her GC has so many expensive parts, like air suspension, that if one thing fails the extended service contract more than pays for itself. If it doesn, well it was $1,700 worth of insurance -which is exactly what it is, an insurance policy. No different than the Annual premium you pay for auto insurance.
Sponsored