Sponsored

Tuned Diesel 0-60, what are you getting?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Everyone is on their own Jeep journey... My first Wrangler is a YJ so I know slow Jeeps... Also anyone on this board that complains about fuel prices... You know what you signed up for....
My first was a 1984 CJ7 with a whipped 2.5 four banger. 0-60 was a "if you're lucky" conversation.
Sponsored

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
all the torque off idle is whatā€™s important with the Jeep. Only engine that makes that power without having to open the throttle is the diesel. The only video I seen of the 392 was in another post at 5000 altitude and it was 6.8 0-60 lol so the 4.3 seconds must have been below sea level, on a 15 percent grade going down hill and a rolling start thats not really 0-60šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
all the torque off idle is whatā€™s important with the Jeep. Only engine that makes that power without having to open the throttle is the diesel. The only video I seen of the 392 was in another post at 5000 altitude and it was 6.8 0-60 lol so the 4.3 seconds must have been below sea level, on a 15 percent grade going down hill and a rolling start that not really 0-60šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£.
This reminds me of when the Hellcat came out. Dodge claimed a 9.6 second quarter mile time, while actual owners were having trouble breaking out of the high 11s.

I especially liked the wait until full dark to maximize power with cooler air and use of a prepared surface - a little disingenuous.

All of that said, 4.5 seconds does not seem unreasonable, but it sounds like owners are finding otherwise.

OP
OP

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Everyone is on their own Jeep journey... My first Wrangler is a YJ so I know slow Jeeps... Also anyone on this board that complains about fuel prices... You know what you signed up for....
I wasn't complaining, my last two rides got about 15 on a good day. I was just using the only advantage we have over the 6.4 to my favor.

Sponsored

OP
OP

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first was a 1984 CJ7 with a whipped 2.5 four banger. 0-60 was a "if you're lucky" conversation.
I had a CJ5 with the AMC304 for a very short time. Couldn't get clear title so I gave it back (that's a different story and different time- from the 80's) but that was so much fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleted because I decided I was wrong.

Last edited:

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
* You are correct, 4.3 seconds is respectable for any modern sports car...

I don't consider Mustangs, chargers, etc sports cars with their size and weight, most modern sports cars are around the 3.2- 3.5 second range 0-60 range in stock form and tuning gets you below that....

Deepsea1212

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WILLYS, JLURD
Are yā€™all doing anything special? Is there a sport mode or something I am missing (not tuned)? I bought my wife a 21 Willy 3.6 and liked it so much I bought myself a 2022 Jlurd because I wanted the torque knowing that I was going straight to 37ā€™s. I donā€™t really notice the torque on the diesel except for when Iā€™m on the highway in 8th gear in conditions that would make my wifeā€™s jeep down shift. Hers definitely feels faster off the line with obviously no turbo lag. I definitely donā€™t feel like I would be able to spin my tires from a stop with a normal launch (never tried). Only other Diesel I had before was an 03 Duramax that was tuned. Is there some mode I should be in or button to press? I havenā€™t had it long as I only have 1400 miles on it right now.

Sponsored

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
Are yā€™all doing anything special? Is there a sport mode or something I am missing (not tuned)? I bought my wife a 21 Willy 3.6 and liked it so much I bought myself a 2022 Jlurd because I wanted the torque knowing that I was going straight to 37ā€™s. I donā€™t really notice the torque on the diesel except for when Iā€™m on the highway in 8th gear in conditions that would make my wifeā€™s jeep down shift. Hers definitely feels faster off the line with obviously no turbo lag. I definitely donā€™t feel like I would be able to spin my tires from a stop with a normal launch (never tried). Only other Diesel I had before was an 03 Duramax that was tuned. Is there some mode I should be in or button to press? I havenā€™t had it long as I only have 1400 miles on it right now.
Get a banks pedal monster, it really wakes up the diesel.

OP
OP

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're stock there is no secret sport mode beyond turning off traction control and/or enabling 4WD and flooring it. The throttle (gas pedal (or is it a diesel pedal)) is tuned such that the engine doesn't come alive until it's way down. In the first half to 3/4 of it's travel this thing loves slow and it's a jeep, so slow feels good, as I've stated earlier. This is probably great for crawling, but I'm in NJ and the places we could go as kids either don't exist (smoothed over into malls and business complexes) or are other wise off limits - parks and such.

I also don't have a Rubicon, so my tires are a little smaller/lighter (32's) which helps since we both have the same 3.73 gears in the diesel and an LSD which helps get power to both wheels and limit excessive slipping, though it doesn't completely prevent it like traction control will.

A throttle controller like a Pedal Monster or Pedal Commander would change the relationship of throttle position to engine response and most people here that have tried them swear by them. I have not but may in the future. Keep in mind this does not actually tune your engine, but in today's world of electronic throttle control (meaning the throttle and engine are only connected by an algorithm not an actual physical connection) you're just selecting a more aggressive response which might simply mean when the pedal is 1/2 way down you actually get 50% power potential or more based on your selection.

If you really want more power you need to tune. Banks, GDE, and likely others I'm not thinking of offer tuning which turbo diesels respond really well to.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I am running a GDE tune on my JLURD with 37" KO2's. If I don't put it 4Hi, it'll spin the rear end. In 4Hi and a 3000 rpm launch, I am at 60 on 5.97
Iā€™ve got the GDE tune in my 16 Ram, and Iā€™ll second that it really wakes up the 3.0-and my fuel economy on the highway increased as well. Great product-highly recommend.

Deleted member 59498

I am running a GDE tune on my JLURD with 37" KO2's. If I don't put it 4Hi, it'll spin the rear end. In 4Hi and a 3000 rpm launch, I am at 60 on 5.97

What was the final cost for you Terpsmandan? If you don't mind me asking, I thought I did before but guess I took another sip of beer and forgot! :)

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel