Casey 250 drops his Diesel

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I'd be nervous too, especially if you KNOW your going to be towing at higher elevations, at higher ambient temperatures and at highway speeds. If these conditions are NOT present, the EcoDiesel should be up to the task.
Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I'd be nervous too, especially if you KNOW your going to be towing at higher elevations, at higher ambient temperatures and at highway speeds. If these conditions are NOT present, the EcoDiesel should be up to the task.
I guess I could, in those conditions, drop my speed down on climbs and try to keep the RPM’s up/boost down.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my experience, I've seen oil temperatures in excess of 245 degrees when I'm at elevations above 3K ft. and speeds at or above 65 mph. The signature block on my posts show my rig configuration . . . but suffice it to say I'm pretty heavy.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
What I don't understand is why people think temps in the 240s is "overheating". These diesels are designed to run at those temps. In fact, running that hot is how they are able to reduce particulate emissions to meet standards.

Now, a gas engine runs cooler. And 240s would be pretty hot for one of those. But they're designed to run at lower temps.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

What I don't understand is why people think temps in the 240s is "overheating". These diesels are designed to run at those temps. In fact, running that hot is how they are able to reduce particulate emissions to meet standards.

Now, a gas engine runs cooler. And 240s would be pretty hot for one of those. But they're designed to run at lower temps.
All good points, but the derate that happens at what, 260*? Ten degrees isn’t much of a buffer.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
These vehicles will be a nightmare to own once the warranty is over or when a dealer claims that your skid plates trapped heat and cause the $5K diesel emissions equipment to fail or your offroading damaged something.

With $4K additional purchase cost and the diesel + DEF costing a lot more than gasoline, I doubt the economics will ever make it even.

I will not be surprised if Jeep drops the diesel very soon.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I've learned, engine derates occur in the 250-260 degree range. Once oil temperatures rise to 240 degrees, incremental increases happen quite quickly . . . literally seconds to go from 245 to 250 degrees when at speed limits on sustained grades. I watch my oil temperatures like a hawk when on the steep highway sections I know quite well.

I do not see oil temperatures above 240 degrees ANYWHERE except on steep highway grades. I consider the 210-230 degree range to be "typical" when cruising on the highway.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Nobody has a resolution for this issue, right?

I'm thinking that I'll have a high chance of experiencing it since:
  • my starting point is 7,400 feet and we almost always go "up" from there
  • my rig will be outfitted for rocklanding, so it'll be "heavy"
  • we sometimes put the RTT on a small trailer and pull that
All I've seen is lots of speculation about what might resolve it.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based upon your profile & geographic location, I think you do have a high probability of experiencing an engine derate stemming from high oil temperature.

The BulletProofDiesel guys are quite knowledgeable and are ideally suited to coming up with a solution, but I have sort of lost interest . . . I like my rig for rock crawling and my wife isn't gung-ho for the overlanding lifestyle . . . no more tent sleeping for her. Hell, she isn't really that crazy about rock crawling either.

Maybe I need to trade-in the wife . . . :idea:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Based upon your profile & geographic location, I think you do have a high probability of experiencing an engine derate stemming from high oil temperature.

The BulletProofDiesel guys are quite knowledgeable and are ideally suited to coming up with a solution, but I have sort of lost interest . . . I like my rig for rock crawling and my wife isn't gung-ho for the overlanding lifestyle . . . no more tent sleeping for her. Hell, she isn't really that crazy about rock crawling either.

Maybe I need to trade-in the wife . . . :idea:
The only aspect of it that she's not fond of is spotting, but she's much better at that than I am of navigating through rocks. The Wrangler waiting for us in Michigan obviously has a front trail cam to hopefully help.

We'll see what happens on being derated. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i don't where people get this "$4K additional purchase cost" thing.
when i worked up the cost between a comparable V6 gas JL with an automatic and the Diesel, the difference wasn't nearly that much; closer to half that.
bonus is that the diesel option bumps you up to Dana 44s front and rear too; where does that figure in to the equation?

DEF? about the same as buying windshield washer fluid, and needs it less often. doesn't seem to be worth the whining.

fuel cost? meh,... is there anything else that gives you the same range on a tank as the EcoD,...?

Op Temps; i did a 1-day run back to the coast from Moab earlier this month in temps at and around triple digits at speed with a full camping load; elevations are over a mile-high much of the way. Oil Temps generally sat in the 210-220 range except on long steep grades where they got into the 240s and a couple of times up to 248-249 with coolant temps ~20º lower; never had a performance problem.

YouTubers? i don't watch much; would rather do it than watch it.

These vehicles will be a nightmare to own once the warranty is over or when a dealer claims that your skid plates trapped heat and cause the $5K diesel emissions equipment to fail or your offroading damaged something.

With $4K additional purchase cost and the diesel + DEF costing a lot more than gasoline, I doubt the economics will ever make it even.

I will not be surprised if Jeep drops the diesel very soon.

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Op Temps; i did a 1-day run back to the coast from Moab earlier this month in temps at and around triple digits at speed with a full camping load; elevations are over a mile-high much of the way. Oil Temps generally sat in the 210-220 range except on long steep grades where they got into the 240s and a couple of times up to 248-249 with coolant temps ~20º lower; never had a performance problem.
Curious how Temps do wheeling in Moab this time of year. All the issues seem to be at speed on grades under load. We've had no problems in the East with 90 degree air temp and our altitude is never anything to be concerned with. July not my first choice for Moab but that is when a group of Friends are going.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
my observations were almost exactly as you describe; ~100ºF everywhere, and no problems anywhere no matter if doing our rallye impression or crawling in 4Lo.
Oil/Coolant temps didn't rise anywhere except at speed on grades (and then went back down dramatically fast as soon as we'd crest and the load would come off).

Have Fun/Be Careful!

Curious how Temps do wheeling in Moab this time of year. All the issues seem to be at speed on grades under load. We've had no problems in the East with 90 degree air temp and our altitude is never anything to be concerned with. July not my first choice for Moab but that is when a group of Friends are going.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I don't care who switches to whatever engine for click bait or because the kewl kids have money burning holes in their pockets and want the latest hyped up sex machine to keep up with there buddies.

What I do know is the 2.0T I went with in my new Willys Xtreme Recon is one pretty impressive engine so far. It's not even broke in yet and I'm averaging 20.6 mpgs with only 572 miles on it and that's driving up and down a mountain every day and around town on 35 inch tires. I'm sure I'll average more when I get a couple thousand miles on it.

I can't wait until the engine is broke in after it's first oil change so I can really give it the beans and feel it's full power range. But right now light footing it it pulls the Jeep up my mountain with ease. Plenty of power and I didn't have to pay $80k+. And I have a lighter front end which is a major advantage off roading and in general.

I think a lot of people need to try out the 2.0T for themselves. Especially with the 4.56 gears in the XR. You might be pleasantly surprised. I know I am. 🤟

20220620_131109.jpg

Deleted member 59498

When I was buying the many jeeps I have owned, economy of driving was not even on the list of considerations. Wanted a diesel Wrangler for a long time and have one now and completely happy with it, powerful, fun to drive and has a cool factor. Will worry about not having a warranty in 6 years or so.
Sponsored