Sponsored

Auto or stick?

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
Just traded my 392 for a TRX. Needed a Jeep in the stable so ordered a 2 door Rubicon with Auto and 4.88 gears. 35's in the future. I am having second thoughts about the auto. My 2015 Hard Rock was a stick and it had less than desirable throws and precision. But I do like driving a stick. Query: is the current manual better than that in the 2015. Will I sacrifice performance with the V6 and manual compared to the auto? First post and glad to be here! Included my latest toy.
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto or stick? 20220524_120923
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Thought you said you needed a Jeep in the stable. Jeeps have manual transmissions, ammirite?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’ve heard it is way better than the JK stick. I don’t have direct experience with a JK though. Throws are good. Not sport car good, but easy to drive.

I DO have comparisons from 2 door to 4 door. The 2 door drives as a better powertrain in a stick. The 4 door can get too heavy. I didn’t think the couple hundred pounds would register that much on the butt dyno. I have the flowing experiences: 4 door 33’s w/ 4.10 diffs, 4 door 39’s w/ 4.10, 4 door 39’s w/ 5.13, 2 door 32’s w/ 3.45, 2 door 33’s w/ 3.45. I’m planning 4.56’s now for my 33’s when I do a locker. The 2 door with 3.45’s drives better than my 4 door did on 4.10’s at the same tire/wheel setup.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I didn't realize Jeep was offering 4.88s on the Auto, thought that was only a Manual option. Cool if I am wrong... In any case.

There are many threads on this topic. I own a manual and really love it (JLR). The gear box is very good. Rubi's have 4.10s which are good but people who have opted for 4.88s seem to really love those even more (wasn't a factory option at the time I ordered my '21). Owner appreciation for the manual seems to decrease the taller the gears get.

The Auto transmission is "better." I have seen many posts of people who say "life long manual driver, got the auto and I ain't looking back".

If you love manuals then you love manuals and no paddles or fake auto-tranny shifting is going to replace that. If you want no hassle and want to mush your foot down without thinking because your (grand)kids are fighting in the back seat while you are driving back home from SuperStore XL in stop and go traffic then the auto is probably the way to go. ;)

My $0.03. (inflation adjusted).

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

I had one for a couple of years and liked it on stock. No idea on larger tires etc. Only reason for trading was for diesel.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Auto vs. Stick? Beans in chili or not? 9mm vs. .45? You're wading into a religious argument here...

I have a '22 2-Door Rubicon with factory 4.88's and 35's. Just did some trails in Moab a couple weeks ago. The Jeep was completely controllable in any situation and not once did I need a brake pedal nor did I long for a torque convertor to relieve my left leg, but then, I've only ever driven Jeeps off roads with manual transmissions. I reckon that if you don't have a lot of experience with a manual you might be better off on harder trails with an automatic, but the 4.88's and 35's seem just right with a stick. As always, YMMV.

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's tremendously better than the JK. You have to re-gear though with bigger tires. I'm on 37s and have 5.13. Rarely touch the clutch when offroad on most obstacles, first is very low, particularly with the rubi tcase.

All that said, sometimes I desire the "laziness" of an auto.

OP
OP

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
Truth be told, my 2 door Rubicon will rarely be off pavement. Flame away, but fact. I do my dirt on 2 wheels. Mall crawler I fear. It will be my eighth Jeep,all manuals except the 392.. Sold the 392 as it was just too big for my needs. No family, just giving my ass a ride. Guess, as I post this, I realize both would work for this purpose. Appreciate the responses.

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The JL/JT 6-speed is a flawed design. It’s on the third recall. The “fix” is to retard power when it begins to overheat. Ridiculous.

I’ve owned three MT Jeeps before, but I’d never buy a manual JL/JT.

On top of that, the ZF auto in the JL/JT is a tremendous automatic. Just brilliant.

Excellent auto > sh!tty manual.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
IMO, there is absolutely NO reason to drive a stick in 2022. Todays autos are solid and perform very very well. (Unless, of course, you just have to "clutch and slam" because you like it.)

G.