Sponsored

Bronco Raptor reviews drop (embargo lift)

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You forgot about the Ford super duty 4x4. Yes I realize some full-size trucks have straight axles. That’s a different class of vehicles obviously a wrangler and a 1 ton 4 x 4 are not the same use

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have no interest in independent front suspension SUV. I’ll stick with a straight axle V-8 off roader thanks. 392 wrangler. It’s in a class all by itself.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot about the Ford super duty 4x4. Yes I realize some full-size trucks have straight axles. That’s a different class of vehicles obviously a wrangler in a 1 ton 4 x 4 are not the same use
I didn't forget about Ford, but I didn't want to clutter up the meme.

But a Power Wagon specifically fits the bill as an "off roader" with a V8 and a solid front axle.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...One thing I absolutely cannot get over, is how slow the bronco’s are using the engines they have...

...The bronco probably drives better on-road for sure, but then the overall on-road advantage over the 392 is just completely voided by the powerplant differences.
Yep, I hear you there. Originally I wanted a Bronco and expected it to be a heck of a lot better than it is. I've ridden in a new 4-door real Bronco (not the "Sport") and the on-pavement ride honestly felt no better than my Rubi 4xe. In fact, on the same rough pavement I drove over when going home in my Jeep, I'd say my Jeep felt smoother (maybe the extra weight in my 4xe?). If it's just the more car-like steering in the Bronco, I'd rather have a Jeep where the tie rods remain intact over bumps.

I have no idea why this new Bronco is seen as something special; The ride is "eh", the interior is by Fisher Price, and the V6 is pokey-slow as well. I just don't get the appeal other than it kind of looks like the original but without the ruggedness. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Yep, I hear you there. Originally I wanted a Bronco and expected it to be a heck of a lot better than it is. I've ridden in a new 4-door real Bronco (not the "Sport") and the on-pavement ride honestly felt no better than my Rubi 4xe. In fact, on the same rough pavement I drove over when going home in my Jeep, I'd say my Jeep felt smoother (maybe the extra weight in my 4xe?). If it's just the more car-like steering in the Bronco, I'd rather have a Jeep where the tie rods remain intact over bumps.

I have no idea why this new Bronco is seen as something special; The ride is "eh", the interior is by Fisher Price, and the V6 is pokey-slow as well. I just don't get the appeal other than it kind of looks like the original but without the ruggedness. 🤷‍♂️
I have this sharp turn where I live that’s like 30mph and filled with potholes.

I was really surprised how well the jeep took it. My previous DD was a gmc sierra with bilstein 5100’s. The steering is pretty good in it, but somehow the jeep takes a mid corner bump better though.

I’m also loving the speed I can take speed bumps now! They have these dips in the road around here for speed control. In my wife’s acura I have to take them at 10-15mph. Sierra 15-20mph. Jeep just doesn’t give AF.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So, did they correct the drivetrain problems that break on the other Broncos??

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Just not interested in the Bronco in any configuration; I love my Willys, although the Bronco seats look so much more comfortable.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
So, did they correct the drivetrain problems that break on the other Broncos??
The only drivetrain issues I'm aware of are the bad batch of valves that affect a number of Broncos built in late 2021, with the 2.7L V6. The issue was "resolved" with the next batch of valves. It only affects the 2.7L, and the Raptor comes with a 3.0L.
If you're referring to tie rods breaking, the Raptor comes with beefier tie rods. Most of the tie rods breaking are on non-sasquatch models that were lifted aftermarket and have weaker tie-rods than the even sasquatch models have.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
C&D estimates that this thing weighs 5,800 lbs! WTH??

A 392 weights 700 lbs less. And a Rubicon JLU weighs an almost unbelievable 1,300 lbs less than this pig.

How is this thing so fat?

5,800 pounds. That is like fat fat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco Raptor reviews drop (embargo lift) 1655750595939

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Just posted up at Bronco6g:
2022 Bronco Raptor Reviews Are Finally HERE!! (Full List) 🦖

In case anyone's been waiting to see if the top Bronco lives up to the (Ford's) hype...
I like the looks of it, accept for all the decals. I really hate decals. a lot.
If I lived in the US I would have one, but that thing would be a nightmare to drive on European roads considering how wide it is.
Plus the 200 bucks to fill it up every week would get annoying.

I am thinking about swapping my Rubicon for a Ranger Rapter though.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
C&D estimates that this thing weighs 5,800 lbs! WTH??

A 392 weights 700 lbs less. And a Rubicon JLU weighs an almost unbelievable 1,300 lbs less than this pig.

How is this thing so fat?

5,800 pounds. That is like fat fat.
I found the weight chart that Ford published with all the configuration weights back when we were shopping late last fall. I couldn't believe they could make a 2 door 4 cylinder weigh 4500, but the Badlands 4 door was well over 5K. When I saw the Raptor, I was thinking it would be a LITTLE closer to the Badlands 4 door, but it's another quarter ton. I don't care that it has 400HP, it's a big piggy. 375HP of 440 in a 4000 lb. Chrysler whale from 1969 will feel a lot more peppy than 400HP in a 5750 lb. rig. That's 2 freaking tons with a 3 liter V6. That thing is going to be in boost all the time just rolling that weight down the road.

It's an interesting rig for suspension, really nice looking components. But, where you going to run high speed offroad where there isn't the possibility of hitting other offroad users? Motorcycles, quads, side by sides, all of them are out there and a 5800 lb rig can do a lot of damage.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’m at 38 psi, but I have rubi 4xe so figured it needs a little more pressure for the weight. Haven’t done the chalk test yet.

I guess what I don’t like about it is on the highway I can’t take my eyes off the road for more than a 1/2 second. In most vehicles you can atleast change some vehicle settings for 2-3 seconds without worrying if you’re going to be halfway into the next lane when you’re done. I just wouldn’t mind being a little more relaxed. Also the steering feels pretty vague compared to IFS if you drive them back to back.

I’ve gotten used to it in 8 days and don’t mind it nearly as much as I did on the first day. If I could wave a magic wand and change one thing about itit would be the steering.

For reference, Lexus gx460 steering is my all time favorite SUV steering. Also v8 mercedes before the switch to EPS in 2012ish is really good too. They are just satisfying in the same way flipping high quality switch in an aircraft cockpit is more satisfying than a switch in a honda civic.

I absolutely love my wrangler btw, steering I just find to be something I have to “accept” though.

It’s possible there is just something wrong with mine. But I have a suspicion there’s not and most wrangler owners have just gotten used to it.

I am also fully aware a chose a rubicon for a 99% pavement princess and I need to accept the downsides.
36psi is actually what is recommended. Dealers keep them anywhere from 38-42psi to make the gas numbers look a little better for people who don’t know any better. Around 32psi is what quite a few people end up with

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
36psi is actually what is recommended. Dealers keep them anywhere from 38-42psi to make the gas numbers look a little better for people who don’t know any better. Around 32psi is what quite a few people end up with
Is that for the 4xe though?

I’m pretty sure rubi 4xe has same tires as normal 4 door rubi, but weighs 10-12% more. I assumed the ideal tire pressure was a little higher. (I’ve never paid much attention to tire pressure, just assuming it’s critical for wranglers)
Sponsored